Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

should i use a schwarz plate to try expand my lower jaw?  

RSS
tonguecel

so i have severe mandibular anterior crowding that i want to sort out asap by ordering a schwarz plate for my lower jaw. as it stands my imw is 5mm wider on my maxilla than my mandible. do you guys know aproximately how much bigger the upper dental arch should be or should they be the same?
if i could get 5mm expansion on the lower jaw that would put me in a good position to get MSE. this is wishful tthinking however given how dubious these appliances are with adults.
if i can get MSE then that would give me more tongue room, allow my wisdoms to push through and expand my sinus for better breathing.

Posted : 09/08/2019 2:02 pm
tonguecel

Bompbomp

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 6:22 am
sinned
Estimable Member

Can you show a pic of your bite?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 2:44 pm
tonguecel
Posted by: @sinned

Can you show a pic of your bite?

yes bro

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2019 7:31 am
sinned
Estimable Member

@tonguecel

If you expand your lower jaw any more you would get a malocclusion that then requires you to expand the upper arch. Good/normal occlusion is where the bottom teeth's cusps meet the upper on the inside, so the lower arch is ever so slightly narrower.

This is what I mean

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2019 5:37 pm
tonguecel
Posted by: @sinned

@tonguecel

If you expand your lower jaw any more you would get a malocclusion that then requires you to expand the upper arch. Good/normal occlusion is where the bottom teeth's cusps meet the upper on the inside, so the lower arch is ever so slightly narrower.

This is what I mean

Ah ok i see. Do we know what this exact measurement is supposed to be?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2019 2:33 am
elevee
Trusted Member

I have severe anterior crowding on the bottom due to orthodontic relapse and am using a Schwartz plate to expand. I'm happy so far and the difference is remarkable. The teeth are naturally uprighting and aligning themselves as they have more room--it's incredible.

I did also get an upper Y plate expander, though! There's much less crowding and relapse up  there, but having both allows me to monitor the malocclusion sinned mentions. I filed back the front edge of the Y plate so that it doesn't actually touch my teeth and the arch can naturally find its ideal curve as the back teeth expand. I think if you did this you might like it--your teeth appear to be tipped inward, with a sort of funnel shaped palate, on both top and bottom. I think the full set of top and bottom set me back between five and six hundred USD.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 7:38 am
cliffbars

@elevee Just a few questions, why did you choose the y plate over the normal schwarz expander for your upper arch? Also how have you progressed up to now? And how did you fix the gaps that came with expansion? I am trying to expand on a budget and I think the bracesshop expanders might be a viable option for myself.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2020 10:10 am
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member
Posted by: @cliffbars

@elevee Just a few questions, why did you choose the y plate over the normal schwarz expander for your upper arch? Also how have you progressed up to now? And how did you fix the gaps that came with expansion? I am trying to expand on a budget and I think the bracesshop expanders might be a viable option for myself.

@elevee

I’m also interested in hearing about this!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2020 6:37 pm