Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Short-lived MSE Experience  

RSS
JimmyB

Unfortunately my MSE device failed to separate my palate suture. The small amount of diastema I experienced seemed to be the result of the device tipping my molars. As a male in his early 30s, this can be expected to happen, unfortunately. My ortho may be willing to get some use out of my device and perform a cortipuncture, but if the degree to which my palate suture is fused is any indication of the surrounding sutures 'cementation' I don't expect there would be any significant degree of protraction, even after successful expansion. I should mention that my ortho had me expand at .26mm a day, which was counter to what the MSE PDF (link below) suggested, but after getting a second opinion from another ortho (who actually went to UCLA), it seems like this is a common rate of expansion for people in my age bracket.

It looks like my options are either a CPAP machine or a double jaw surgery. I'm currently scheduled for a consultation with a maxiofacial surgeon, in August, to assess what needs to be done.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/87f545_e7c83401dd5846faa06689ce5794fba0.pdf

Posted : 31/05/2019 4:07 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear about this discouraging setback. Maybe you can try again with corticopuncture and a faster rate? With my palatal torus, I suspect I would need corticopuncture if I decide to get MSE. Please keep us posted!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2019 4:50 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Any photos of palate?  If highly arched, you could just reshape it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2019 4:51 pm
JimmyB
Posted by: Apollo

Sorry to hear about this discouraging setback. Maybe you can try again with corticopuncture and a faster rate? With my palatal torus, I suspect I would need corticopuncture if I decide to get MSE. Please keep us posted!

I will, by about Wednesday next week I'll have word from my ortho on how he wants to proceed.

Honestly, I would push for cortipuncture regardless of anything else, if you're a male. There seems to be no downside of combining the two and you're only setting yourself up for the possibility of disappointment if you don't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2019 5:32 pm
Apollo liked
JimmyB
Posted by: darkindigo

Any photos of palate?  If highly arched, you could just reshape it.

I have a rather high vaulted palate, but not horrible. Hopefully it will be reshaped a bit if I move forward with the cortipuncture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2019 5:35 pm
UCLAnewbie

If you had a diastema, it means the expansion was successful.

MSE appliances are removed because there is no diastema (indicating no suture split).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2019 9:25 pm
Anomaly
Posted by: JimmyB

Unfortunately my MSE device failed to separate my palate suture. The small amount of diastema I experienced seemed to be the result of the device tipping my molars. As a male in his early 30s, this can be expected to happen, unfortunately. My ortho may be willing to get some use out of my device and perform a cortipuncture, but if the degree to which my palate suture is fused is any indication of the surrounding sutures 'cementation' I don't expect there would be any significant degree of protraction, even after successful expansion. I should mention that my ortho had me expand at .26mm a day, which was counter to what the MSE PDF (link below) suggested, but after getting a second opinion from another ortho (who actually went to UCLA), it seems like this is a common rate of expansion for people in my age bracket.

It looks like my options are either a CPAP machine or a double jaw surgery. I'm currently scheduled for a consultation with a maxiofacial surgeon, in August, to assess what needs to be done.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/87f545_e7c83401dd5846faa06689ce5794fba0.pdf

I’ve seen people older than you have successful diastemas, so I’m not sure what the problem is for a person your age. I don’t see how lack of success, like you put it, is to be expected when this device tailored for pretty much anybody of any age. You’re going to ruin your face and jaws with surgery and a CPAP machine is I guess okay if you want to do tjat for the rest of your life. I wouldn’t do that, tho.

Also, there should be no difference between your palate and how you think the sutures within it are fused vs after expansion, is there not? Your whole entire maxillary region should be able to be protracted since disarticulation has been established. So these rules shouldn’t apply after disarticulation is present, am I wrong?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2019 12:00 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

@jimmyb I suggest you try consulting with Won Moon directly and get his opinion especially looking at your x-rays.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2019 10:33 am
AmiMM

What is corticopuncture?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/06/2019 3:59 pm
jbsims

You might also try bi-lateral nasal specific, if you can find someone in your area who practices it. The first time I had it done I could really feel my mid palatine suture. It might encourage that suture to let go a little.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/06/2019 5:50 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

@jbsims, what was that like? it sounds like it would feel fantastic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/06/2019 8:41 pm
jbsims

It was a little disconcerting at first. Like being deep underwater, that pressure one feels inside one's head. After a few treatments I got used to it. I do it to myself now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2019 7:34 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

SLDA and DNA reshape.  If your chin is recessed, you could try the saggital Schwartz with acrylic between teeth. If your teeth are in relative alignment with each other,  you could try a top and bottom Schwartz.  Shave the top as it drops or slightly in advance.  braces shop website.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2019 11:50 am
JimmyB

I appreciate the suggestions guys, but I'm going to move forward with the double jaw surgery. I'll let you all know how it goes when it gets underway, although I'm not sure how interested the users will be, considering the goals of this forum.

Either way, I had my septoplasty and the swelling has gone down a lot since 3 weeks ago, so I can now breathe out of my nose much easier. It also helps me maintain good body/oral posture in a way, just from the fact that I can actually breathe through my nose now. So I'll continue putting everything I learned here into practice with greater effort.

Regardless, good luck with everything everyone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2019 10:16 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

I wish you the best and please keep us updated on your progress.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2019 11:44 pm
JimmyB liked