Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

deviated septum = craniofacial meltdown, or vice versa?  

RSS
Buggy
Eminent Member

Consulted with an ortho today.  He did a 3D cone beam scan and concluded the following:

1)      Nasal valve compromise

2)      Suspected deviate septum

3)      Septal bone spur

"My concern is that he has difficulty breathing through the right side of his nose due to nasal valve compromise and he has difficulty breathing through the left side of his nose due to increased turbulence from the bone spur."

He thinks this could be original cause of my mouth breathing and resultant craniofacial meltdown, and a major factor in my severe chronic fatigue and wrecked sleep.

Referred me to an ENT doc for possible nasal surgery.  The doc has quite a few bad Yelp reviews.

Anyone have similar issues?

This topic was modified 7 months ago 2 times by Buggy
Posted : 14/01/2019 8:40 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Exciting news!!! Which has bad google reviews... ENT?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 1:27 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Yay!  Yay!  Yay!!  Happy dance for you.  Tears welling in eyes for your soon-to-be newfound relief...  CBCT 💕

This post was modified 7 months ago 2 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 1:28 am
Buggy liked
darkindigo
Reputable Member

I think that with so many various things that an ENT can do... if they have experience...that is good.  You want a perfectionist.  Some people are sloppy.  Some just messed up and gained experience.  If you want to shop around, you may.  🙂

This post was modified 7 months ago by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 1:33 am
mewermew

PLS DONT GET THE SURGERY. i also had a deviated septum and it got completly fixed by mewing. the tongue position is the root cause of a deviated septum. hard mewing was the way for me. by having surgery u will likely get other side effects which can lead to depression/suicide(empty nose syndrom).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 4:39 am
Buggy
Eminent Member
Posted by: darkindigo

Exciting news!!! Which has bad google reviews... ENT?

The ENT has the bad Yelp reviews. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 1:09 pm
Buggy
Eminent Member
Posted by: darkindigo

I think that with so many various things that an ENT can do... if they have experience...that is good.  You want a perfectionist.  Some people are sloppy.  Some just messed up and gained experience.  If you want to shop around, you may.  🙂

Bit concerned as conventional MDs tend to be aggressive and like to do invasive things.  Plus i have no leads on finding good ENTs, and the ortho is only recommending the one ENT.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 1:14 pm
Buggy
Eminent Member
Posted by: mewermew

PLS DONT GET THE SURGERY. i also had a deviated septum and it got completly fixed by mewing. the tongue position is the root cause of a deviated septum. hard mewing was the way for me. by having surgery u will likely get other side effects which can lead to depression/suicide(empty nose syndrom).

Seems like possible chicken and egg thing... did deviated septum contribute to CFD, or did CFD cause deviated septum.  

Sounds like the latter for you.  So hard mewing gave you the forward development you needed to un-jam your nose and let the septum hang straight??

I dunno if a bone spur is gonna resolve with mewing.

Why would surgery necessarily lead to empty nose syndrome?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 1:21 pm
LastQuestion

I suggest you spend time listening to the expert interview podcasts at drstevenpark.com. He's an ENT. He get's craniofaical growth and development and it's effect on airway.

The Ortho sounds like he's got a decent grasp of things. I wouldn't fully support going to ENT surgery, even though I've found some benefit to the one's I've had. I had relaspe of my first ENT surgery. My second one still hasn't resolved my issues. Better than nothing, but I'm currently seeking maxillary expansion to increase nasal volume and help other aspects of my craniofaical deficiencies.

A deviated septum isn't a big deal. Nearly everyone's septum is deviated. What matters is when that deviation leads to obstruction of hte nasal passages. The the reason deviation leads to obstruction or flow limitation is that the soft tissues didn't have enough space due to insufficient craniofacial growth and development. Your jaws didn't grow large enough. Jaw growth is environmentally mediated not genetically set in stone, and even adult jaws can remodel and expand which increases nasal volume (more nose space means soft tissues aren't cramped). I've even seen a few cases studies in which maxillary expansion fixed a deviated septum.  That doesn't mean surgery might not be useful; it's hard to predict who responds well to expansion and who does not. Try it to find out. But I would advise becoming better informed so that the decision you make is one you have confidence is in your favor.

Personally, I'd vote for expanding the jaws non-surgically or even surgically before going to ENT surgeries. I'm exploring jaw expansions non-surgically, while keeping orthognathic surgery as an option in my back pocket. I'm not saying, avoid ENT surgeries at all costs (my life is better because of mine) but that they leave much to desired (my primary issues are unresolved by the ENT surgeries, even though improved).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 4:00 pm
Buggy liked
Buggy
Eminent Member

LastQuestion... thanks for the reply.  I think the Ortho is more concerned about the bone spur, and in combination with the deviated setpum.

The Ortho seems pretty good, but his knee-jerk, go see an ENT surgeon response is problematic.  I wrote him back after the consult and asked... why not use a palate expander (MSE and/or my tongue) to try to straighten out the septum via maxillary expansion, before resorting to surgery, but havent heard back yet.

Just to clarify I have no intention of having surgery.  Merely saying the Ortho referred me for evaluation.

I know about Steven Park, plan to read his book.  Will have a look at his site, thanks.

Apparently deviated septum can result from birth trauma, injury, and other causes.  Not just CFD.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 8:01 pm
Buggy
Eminent Member

Anyone had a nasal endoscopy?  ENT wants to do one as part of standard initial consult.  I try to avoid MDs and their fixation with invasive procedures, and don't like the idea.  Some claim the scopes are hard to sterilize.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 8:07 pm
Buggy
Eminent Member

Steven Park on septoplasty:

Complications are rare, but with any surgical procedure, there is a small chance of infection or bleeding. There is also a small risk any time someone undergoes general anesthesia, which includes, allergic or medication reactions or airway problems. In terms of overall risk, it's riskier when you cross the street. Other very rare complications such as smell loss or a hole in your septum have been reported. 

A septoplasty, if done properly, is one of the most gratifying procedures for both the patient and the surgeon. Success rates are very high. However, there are a few percent of patients where nasal congestion still persists, or it comes back after a few weeks to months. In this situation, there are two main possible reasons: there is persistent turbinate swelling due to inflammation, or you have flimsy nostrils. There are treatment options for both theses conditions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2019 7:25 pm
Buggy
Eminent Member

Met with the ENT.  He said he's never seen a deviated septum correct after maxilla/palate expansion therapy.  But he did not elaborate, and did not seem interested in the question.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2019 5:51 pm
yoinmcloin

@mewermew

How bad was your deviated septum and how long did it take to correct??

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2019 9:27 am
Trappey

If you have a deviated septum, you need to get septoplasty. Some of you sound delusional to me

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/08/2019 11:19 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register