fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Scoliosis correction tips

megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

Does anyone here have any experience in correcting scoliosis? I was diagnosed with very minor scoliosis recently and I would like to correct it so it doesn't get any worse.

Topic starter Posted : 30/09/2018 12:43 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

I have fixed mine in the last two years. You could begin from trying to figure out whether your tongue and jaws have been favoring the left or right side of your body. Usually your shoulder will be lower on the side your head leans toward.  Start mewing towards the opposite side. Start standing as upright as possible. Do stomach vacuums while stretching your torso. Twist your body like a corkscrew. Find muscles that spasm/cramp when you engage them. Make sure that you engage them in daily movements. 

The following pic from Starecta may help you understand how the body compensates for asymmetrical postural habits:

Kuvahaun tulos haulle starecta skeleton

You can find more tips by searching the forum, as I have written extensively about this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/09/2018 1:20 am
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

Hey, I've realized that my right shoulder is lower than my left, so does that mean I should mew more towards my right side? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/09/2018 2:37 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: megamandude

Hey, I've realized that my right shoulder is lower than my left, so does that mean I should mew more towards my right side? 

If your right shoulder is the lower one, your right side of the face is possibly more developed than your left side of the face. Your skull will also be leaning towards the more developed side of the face. Refer to the pic I posted. In either case, Mew toward the less developed side. The upper arch on your less developed side may also seem higher than than the more developed side of the arch - this is because scoliosis can cause the impacted side to be compressed into the skull. As you use your tongue to push the weaker side of the face outward, it will not only expand, but unwind and assume it's proper position and shape.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/09/2018 2:54 am
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts
Posted by: Progress

If your right shoulder is the lower one, your right side of the face is possibly more developed than your left side of the face. Your skull will also be leaning towards the more developed side of the face. Refer to the pic I posted. In either case, Mew toward the less developed side. The upper arch on your less developed side may also seem higher than than the more developed side of the arch - this is because scoliosis can cause the impacted side to be compressed into the skull. As you use your tongue to push the weaker side of the face outward, it will not only expand, but unwind and assume it's proper position and shape.

So you're suggesting i put my tongue like the first tongue posture in this image instead of mewing regularly ?  Wouldn't that just worsen it? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/09/2018 5:17 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

Ideally you will eventually reach a posture and facial structure where the tongue can exert balanced force on the palate. If you are scoliotic, facially asymmetric and not particularly in tune with your body, it's likely that what at the moment seems to you like symmetric tongue engagement, is actually not. Thus it can be very insightful to deliberately fight against the scoliotic distortion of the skull until you are sure that the previously slacking neck musculature on the facially weaker side is under your full conscious control and has good muscle tone. This will ensure that the musculature is able to keep the skull in alignment with the spine and the hips, allowing the spinal scoliosis to resolve relatively easily with light postural work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/09/2018 6:27 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: darkindigo

Depending on your age... you may want to try an arch development product such as DNA.  The research I've read does not indicate that scoliosis is caused by poor head posture.  However, there appears to be some very limited anecdotal reporting.  You will struggle with head posture if your airway is compressed, which thereby puts pressure on your lower spine.  Have you had a CBCT scan performed of your airway?  However, to be clear, none of the research I've happened upon supports that scoliosis is caused by poor posture... so don't put all your eggs in one basket.  Proper brace would seem necessary from medical side.  Please consult with your doctor. 

True, scoliosis can get started from anywhere in the body, for a variety of reasons. Most often it's due to activities that engage the musculature asymmetrically, some times it is due to nerve damage. Other reasons exist too. Yet, in order for scoliosis to be sustained, the head HAS to be maintained in an improper position, and without proper tongue posture. An individual with a head that is truly aligned with the hips will experience an eventual straightening out of the spine, given that 1) they keep challenging themselves physically 2) no actual damage in the verbetrae exists.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/09/2018 5:01 pm
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

Thanks for the help @progress did you know the degree of your curvature for you scoliosis before correcting it, and did you gain any height after correction. If so, how much?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/10/2018 1:12 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

Thanks for the help @progress did you know the degree of your curvature for you scoliosis before correcting it, and did you gain any height after correction. If so, how much?

I did not get officially diagnosed, but in both of my graduation photos my shoulders are very visibly uneven and head tilted off center. Back then my morning height was 170 cm, now it is a little over 172 cm. So about an inch of gain.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2018 1:34 am
richardthunder
(@richardthunder)
10+ Forum Posts

I did not get officially diagnosed, but in both of my graduation photos my shoulders are very visibly uneven and head tilted off center. Back then my morning height was 170 cm, now it is a little over 172 cm. So about an inch of gain.

Do you know what degree your curve was? Was this pretty mild? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2018 2:55 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: richardthunder

As I said, I did not get officially diagnosed. The imbalance was visible throughout the body when standing naked in front of a mirror: uneven shoulders; disparities in size and prominence of pecs, obliques and psoas; tilted hips, overpronation of one ankle & underpronation of the other; etc. It was not severe enough to limit daily activities, but sufficient to cause visible cranial distortion and occassional sciatica.

Ultimately your degree of curvature is not important. The main takeaway is that if you were not born with it, it is likely 100% reversible. Almost all cases of scoliosis occurr due to a failure on the level of postural musculature. It's a compensation mechanism just like lordosis or kyphosis, differing only in the compensatory dimensions. Focusing on the posterior chain and core will be important. Here is a description of an immensely helpful exercise for the posterior chain:

Stand with the legs spread and the feet outward at 180-degrees from each other. Engage the gluteus maximus to tuck the pelvis while bending the knees laterally from the hip abductors to assume a kind of ziggurat stance, while simultaneously using your lats to bend your elbows and raise your palms upward. Look for tightness and unevenness in the lower back and SI joint while doing this. Allow it expression as an unwinding and assume whatever contortions follow; they are all necessary stations on your way to straightness.
The complimentary motion that straightens the legs is hip adduction, squeezing the inner thighs together. From the previous stance, do this while keeping the gluteus maximus contracted. It will push you into a pelvic thrust that is very healthy for evening out spinal movement.

The great thing about this position is how easily it becomes a lunge, which is an innvaluable but often misunderstood stretch for spinal tension from the hip. Most people assume the lunge shape then attempt the stretch, and never quite get the full benefits. The zigurat  stance eases you into the proper mechanics of a lunge. If your glutes are inhibited, as is often the case with such inbalances, be prepared to push as hard with your willpower as any power lifter does to get them contracting together and in a straight line. Just watch out, cause its also easier to drop the bar.

This is part of a valuable youtube comment chain I saved on my notepad a few years ago. You can find the full chain here: https://pastebin.com/Fn7cTkXK

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2018 3:58 am
paradise liked
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

As I said, I did not get officially diagnosed. The imbalance was visible throughout the body when standing naked in front of a mirror: uneven shoulders; disparities in size and prominence of pecs, obliques and psoas; tilted hips, overpronation of one ankle & underpronation of the other; etc. It was not severe enough to limit daily activities, but sufficient to cause visible cranial distortion and occassional sciatica.

Ultimately your degree of curvature is not important. The main takeaway is that if you were not born with it, it is likely 100% reversible. Almost all cases of scoliosis occurr due to a failure on the level of postural musculature. It's a compensation mechanism just like lordosis or kyphosis, differing only in the compensatory dimensions. Focusing on the posterior chain and core will be important. Here is a description of an immensely helpful exercise for the posterior chain:

Stand with the legs spread and the feet outward at 180-degrees from each other. Engage the gluteus maximus to tuck the pelvis while bending the knees laterally from the hip abductors to assume a kind of ziggurat stance, while simultaneously using your lats to bend your elbows and raise your palms upward. Look for tightness and unevenness in the lower back and SI joint while doing this. Allow it expression as an unwinding and assume whatever contortions follow; they are all necessary stations on your way to straightness.
The complimentary motion that straightens the legs is hip adduction, squeezing the inner thighs together. From the previous stance, do this while keeping the gluteus maximus contracted. It will push you into a pelvic thrust that is very healthy for evening out spinal movement.

The great thing about this position is how easily it becomes a lunge, which is an innvaluable but often misunderstood stretch for spinal tension from the hip. Most people assume the lunge shape then attempt the stretch, and never quite get the full benefits. The zigurat  stance eases you into the proper mechanics of a lunge. If your glutes are inhibited, as is often the case with such inbalances, be prepared to push as hard with your willpower as any power lifter does to get them contracting together and in a straight line. Just watch out, cause its also easier to drop the bar.

This is part of a valuable youtube comment chain I saved on my notepad a few years ago. You can find the full chain here: https://pastebin.com/Fn7cTkXK

I think the reason why it would be important to know ones curvature is because the higher the curvature is the longer it would take to correct. You said yours took two years right?  Also, what do you think is the best sleeping position for treatment? Im pretty sure I got scoliosis from sleeping on my stomach all the time lol

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/10/2018 6:07 am
richardthunder
(@richardthunder)
10+ Forum Posts

Thanks for the response, i'm interested in this exercise but having a hard time picturing it. Also, is this the only thing you did to fix your back? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2018 3:01 pm
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

@megamandude It took me two years, yes, but I was very lazy about it. I didn't and still don't exercise. I only walked daily and did 5-10 min of corrective movements such as the one I quoted 2-3 times a week. I basically put in the bare minimum effort required to move forward. If you are motivated, you can progress much faster and be finished in a few months.

As for sleeping, on one hand I would say sleep in the position that is comfortable to you, but on the other hand this position is probably the one that contours your scoliosis.While you could try to reverse-engineer and mirror your current sleeping position, in general as your scoliosis lessens your sleeping positions will tend to change too. By then, the position you currently sleep in may no longer be comfortable for you.

@richardthunder I tried to illustrate the basic movements involved (you may have to begin from a more narrow and less steep foot angle):

This is not the only thing I did, but it is a good place to begin from. Other helpful movements are twisting your body/spine hard like a corkscrew (really try to get the muscles of around your torso, groin and shoulders to join the rotationary effort), and curving my back backwards (try to make the tailbone and the cervical spine reach for each other) while squeezing lats and the long back muscles together. Done right, the latter will produce dozens of loud pops in the verbetrae. In the beginning it was normal for me to hear like 10-15 pops happening simultaneously. It is pretty satisfying and will motivate you to seek more of them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2018 5:49 pm
Greensmoothies
(@greensmoothies)
200+ Forum Posts

Am I understanding correctly... is that movement basically like T-tapp?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcG0TUWxTsY

Also you describe bending over backwards, but also squeezing lats backwards and the back muscles together, to confirm? Can you use a yoga ball while doing that or would it interfere?

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2018 2:55 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: Greensmoothies

Am I understanding correctly... is that movement basically like T-tapp?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcG0TUWxTsY

Also you describe bending over backwards, but also squeezing lats backwards and the back muscles together, to confirm? Can you use a yoga ball while doing that or would it interfere?

T-tapp seems to achieve something similar, but you are going to have to throw yourself harder into the movement than the woman in the video. In the beginning these movements usually have to be performed with hard concentration & tension in order to establish proper mind-muscle connection into the inactive musculature.

Regarding the second movement, I have no experience with yoga ball. I personally do it while standing up. I stick my butt out & up as far as my hamstrings comfortably allow, then start to bend the torso backward while squeezing the back muscles down & together. It's kind of like an intentional hyper-lordosis.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2018 3:16 am
Greensmoothies
(@greensmoothies)
200+ Forum Posts
Posted by: Greensmoothies

T-tapp seems to achieve something similar, but you are going to have to throw yourself harder into the movement than the woman in the video. In the beginning these movements usually have to be performed with hard concentration & tension in order to establish proper mind-muscle connection into the inactive musculature.

Regarding the second movement, I have no experience with yoga ball. I personally do it while standing up. I stick my butt out & up as far as my hamstrings comfortably allow, then start to bend the torso backward while squeezing the back muscles down & together. It's kind of like an intentional hyper-lordosis.

Whew, got my muscles shaking. I just got back in to skating and I think these exercises might help me be able to lunge on the ice again. Btw the t-tapp seemed to help me get my hips positioned better after pregnancy in case anyone was wondering what it did for me.

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2018 4:48 am
richardthunder
(@richardthunder)
10+ Forum Posts

@megamandude It took me two years, yes, but I was very lazy about it. I didn't and still don't exercise. I only walked daily and did 5-10 min of corrective movements such as the one I quoted 2-3 times a week. I basically put in the bare minimum effort required to move forward. If you are motivated, you can progress much faster and be finished in a few months.

As for sleeping, on one hand I would say sleep in the position that is comfortable to you, but on the other hand this position is probably the one that contours your scoliosis.While you could try to reverse-engineer and mirror your current sleeping position, in general as your scoliosis lessens your sleeping positions will tend to change too. By then, the position you currently sleep in may no longer be comfortable for you.

@richardthunder I tried to illustrate the basic movements involved (you may have to begin from a more narrow and less steep foot angle):

This is not the only thing I did, but it is a good place to begin from. Other helpful movements are twisting your body/spine hard like a corkscrew (really try to get the muscles of around your torso, groin and shoulders to join the rotationary effort), and curving my back backwards (try to make the tailbone and the cervical spine reach for each other) while squeezing lats and the long back muscles together. Done right, the latter will produce dozens of loud pops in the verbetrae. In the beginning it was normal for me to hear like 10-15 pops happening simultaneously. It is pretty satisfying and will motivate you to seek more of them.

Really appreciate the drawing!! What are your thoughts on this video's approach for treating scoliosis:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWtrCmzaOw

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2018 9:30 am
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

Hey I went to a physiotherapist to inquire more about my scoliosis. He told me that my pectus excavatum (hole in chest) could be contributing to my scoliosis and advised me to get surgery to fix it. Should I go through with it? Surgery is free in my country 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/10/2018 6:31 am
Angelina
(@madeira09)
10+ Forum Posts

Im trying Gokhale's method to correct scoliosis. I love it, really helps to get rid of pain and move more freely. Maybe you should look at it too?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2018 12:08 am
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

Hey @progress I've been following your advice about mewing towards the less developed side of your face. I've made tremendous progress in that area- upper dental arches are almost symmetrical, but my scoliosis is still present in my body.

My question is that once my jaws are symmetrical should i start mewing symmetrically or don't do that until my scoliosis is completely gone? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/10/2018 3:52 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

Hey @progress I've been following your advice about mewing towards the less developed side of your face. I've made tremendous progress in that area- upper dental arches are almost symmetrical, but my scoliosis is still present in my body.

My question is that once my jaws are symmetrical should i start mewing symmetrically or don't do that until my scoliosis is completely gone? 

Glad to hear. Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Has your scoliosis improved at all so far?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2018 4:43 am
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

Glad to hear. Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Has your scoliosis improved at all so far?

I hope. I've been doing the 180 leg pose you talked about daily for a week now, proper sitting and standing posture, plus learning to grab the ground with my toes now. I hear popping sounds throughout the day in my spine now plus for the first time in my life I've been able to close my left eye without closing my right as well. Did you experience stuff like that during your correction?

I've tried implementing that corkscrew stretch you talked about but dont hear any popping sounds. Would be possible to draw another amazing stick diagram of that stretch as well 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/10/2018 4:56 am
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

@progress

Can you check your PMs when you have time please

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/10/2018 9:03 pm
Anoop
(@anoop)

Hi, 

I have developed mild scoliosis over time due to sleeping on right side. So the right pec minor become tightened and short, right shoulder more rounded and down, head tilted to left, due to the weight of mandible the right side of maxilla pressed upward. Now I am practicing myself to sleep on left. At first it cause mild headaches, I could  feel the load of mandible on the opposite direction now., I feel good results. Its slightly correcting my midline from right to left. 

46E59869 818D 4BBE 8B1F ABBD39B95AF5
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/11/2018 5:47 pm
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

Hey @progress when you fixed your scoliosis did your facial asymmetry go away/ get better? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/11/2018 5:46 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

Hey @progress when you fixed your scoliosis did your facial asymmetry go away/ get better? 

Not immediately, nor completely, but it allowed the asymmetry to start unwinding. Still noticeable asymmetry left.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/11/2018 8:44 pm
sebastian
(@sebastian)
50+ Forum Posts

Ideally you will eventually reach a posture and facial structure where the tongue can exert balanced force on the palate. If you are scoliotic, facially asymmetric and not particularly in tune with your body, it's likely that what at the moment seems to you like symmetric tongue engagement, is actually not. Thus it can be very insightful to deliberately fight against the scoliotic distortion of the skull until you are sure that the previously slacking neck musculature on the facially weaker side is under your full conscious control and has good muscle tone. This will ensure that the musculature is able to keep the skull in alignment with the spine and the hips, allowing the spinal scoliosis to resolve relatively easily with light postural work.

I'm having trouble with seeing what part of my face, that is more developed. My left shoulder looks a tad more bigger than the right one, but the left side of my face looks more developed and fuller than my right one. My incisors are moved more to left side, including the incisive papilla, and the same with my lower jaw. I've actually been mewing most of the time on the right side, but when i tried to do it on the left side it made my nose more asymmetrical.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2018 7:10 pm
openbytes17
(@openbytes17)
10+ Forum Posts

Accurate, the my palate on my undeveloped side is much higher on this side. Makes trying to get a symmetric tongue posture 10 times harder. I unfortunately got braces which has made my undeveloped side even worse 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/11/2018 3:47 am
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts

Hey @progress do you know any stretches that are good for treating a flat back? I talked to a scoliosis specialist and she told me my scoliosis is so minor that its the flat back causing it to happen. Need to restore natural curvature to my spine  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/12/2018 10:37 am
fistashkins
(@fistashkins)

Things I have learned living with scoliosis:

I sleep on a waterbed;
don't sit on a hard chair;
don't stand still too long in one place;
get help with cleaning bathrooms and floors;
don't carry a lot of weight with my upper body
(example a heavy suitcase);
I sit as close as possible to the steering wheel when driving;
take long hot showers with the water beating on my lower back;
stretching and hanging from a bar are good things
(not hanging out at a bar);
picking up after my kids when they were young with my toes
(got really good at that);
I use to like to have my back pushed in when I got hunched over
and couldn't stand up straight
(now I try not to do the things that got me hunched over).

I would love to hear about the little things you have leaned to help you cope better and that may help myself and others.

But also, any advice about this review would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I like to drink juice!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 10:52 am
Timbertiger
(@timbertiger)
50+ Forum Posts

@megamandude I was officially diagnosed with scoliosis when I was young and had terrible posture for most of my life. The past few years I've been making concentrated efforts to improve my posture and my back is almost perfectly straight now. In my case I think weak core musculature was part of the problem and doing stomach vacuums along with planking has helped considerably. Strengthening the shoulder muscles has also helped. Part of the problem with fixing scoliosis is that the muscles have been contorted for so long that you have really tight muscle knots that prevent you from straightening up completely. For this I've found that using a golf ball to work into the muscle knots and loosen them has really helped. I still have work to do but my back is almost perfectly symmetrical now.
I don't know to what extent mewing has helped but my face used to be more asymmetrical as well and fixing my tongue posture has helped with this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 8:35 pm
elevee
(@elevee)
100+ Forum Posts

I bought this course and it is extremely good value for the money. Somatic education exercises are very slow and gentle, with an emphasis on sensation and mindfulness, to rewire the brain to release chronic tensions. I reccommend it highly. https://somaticmovementcenter.com/clinical-somatics-scoliosis-exercises/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 10:57 pm
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @progress

@progress I am coming back to try and seriously fix my scoliosis, but I am trying this stretch and I cannot keep balance with my feet in that position. Any advice on how i can keep that balance?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2020 12:19 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @megamandude

@progress I am coming back to try and seriously fix my scoliosis, but I am trying this stretch and I cannot keep balance with my feet in that position. Any advice on how i can keep that balance?
Try rotating your feet more inward. This exercise was mostly just an example of what I used to do. Alone it won't be enough to fix your scoliosis, but it's a good exercise. In the end I think your jaw relationship and occlusion is possibly the most important factor. With symmetric occlusion muscle-based scoliosis should unwind almost effortlessly.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2020 12:40 am
megamandude
(@megamandude)
100+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @megamandude

Try rotating your feet more inward. This exercise was mostly just an example of what I used to do. Alone it won't be enough to fix your scoliosis, but it's a good exercise. In the end I think your jaw relationship and occlusion is possibly the most important factor. With symmetric occlusion muscle-based scoliosis should unwind almost effortlessly.

@progress

Yeah, I am planning to go see an orthotropist to go and try and fix my malocclusion. Do you think i should focus on that first and see where it takes my scoliosis? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2020 9:02 am
Oatmeal
(@oatmeal)
100+ Forum Posts

One of my legs is shorter than the other. It is the reason I have scoliosis I think, but i don't know what to do. Well,  I could get a shoe lift but that's about it. The weird thing is my face is pretty symmetrical despite having scoliosis. Maybe it doesn't affect me that much? I don't know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/01/2020 6:58 pm
Elwynn
(@elwynn)
200+ Forum Posts

@oatmeal

Most people have one leg longer than the other. Don't take my word for it, but I think that unless the difference in length between your legs is greater than average, then you should be able to correct your posture without any special treatment.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/01/2020 10:21 pm
Oatmeal
(@oatmeal)
100+ Forum Posts

@elwynn

yeah, but i do want to see an orthopedic

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2020 6:25 pm
Autokrator
(@autokrator)
10+ Forum Posts

@progress

Hey progress, I have minor idiopathic scoliosis, around 10 or 11 degrees. I would like to ask you about the effects of scoliosis on the face. Does it affect only the symmetry or it could be more difficult for a scoliotic person to expand the palate for one reason or another? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2020 4:16 pm
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @autokrator

@progress

Hey progress, I have minor idiopathic scoliosis, around 10 or 11 degrees. I would like to ask you about the effects of scoliosis on the face. Does it affect only the symmetry or it could be more difficult for a scoliotic person to expand the palate for one reason or another? 

Scoliosis tends to make your oral posture efforts uneven, meaning that you are going to have easier time expanding on side of the face than the other. Ultimately how your tongue, palate and jaws meet is a reflection of your spinal curvature, so as long as your scoliosis remains unresolved, it is inevitably going to affect the process in one way or another.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2020 5:25 pm
healthyfacehealthylife
(@healthyfacehealthylife)
10+ Forum Posts

@progress Hello I seem to have the same problem on the starecta pic...this has caused me to have knee pain and back pain...plus I have a tear on my quad because of this...Can you please explain in detail what you mean by mewing on the weaker/opposite side to unwind the skull?

Can you give me a method/technique in detail that I can follow to heal myself...I've had this problem for a decade.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 2:41 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @healthyfacehealthylife

@progress Hello I seem to have the same problem on the starecta pic...this has caused me to have knee pain and back pain...plus I have a tear on my quad because of this...Can you please explain in detail what you mean by mewing on the weaker/opposite side to unwind the skull?

Can you give me a method/technique in detail that I can follow to heal myself...I've had this problem for a decade.

There are not many shortcuts I can give. It comes down to studying your body in motion, examining the range of motions, and figuring out the principles behind your asymmetrical posture&movement patterns. I would no longer recommend mewing while trying to fix scoliosis. It's best to do these movements without tongue or teeth contact, firstly because your asymmetric skull will work against your efforts to find more natural movement patterns for your body, and secondly because being able to vary the positioning of the mandible (side-to-side, jutting/pulling back) is helpful. Remember also that strengthening is more important than stretching. Elongation of a stiff and overworking muscle is the natural consequence of strengthening the opposing weak and elongated muscle. Pay special attention to glute activation, feet pronation, hip elevation, shoulder elevation and head tilt.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 3:11 am
healthyfacehealthylife
10+ Forum Posts

@progress so what do you recommend to fix my scoliosis if not mewing? b/c I think my skull is the reason that I'm having these health issues in the first place. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 4:34 pm
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

@progress so what do you recommend to fix my scoliosis if not mewing? b/c I think my skull is the reason that I'm having these health issues in the first place. 

Mew too, just not during the exercises. Since cranial shape influences posture and posture influences cranial shape, it's better to first seek postural alignment without the distorting influence of your asymmetric cranium, so that your improved postural balance may then begin to pull your cranium into its proper shape. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 4:51 pm
healthyfacehealthylife
10+ Forum Posts

@progress can you graphically show on what you mean by mewing on your weaker side? B/c that seems to be helping...I feel like my face is twisted and that seems to be causing my body to have scoliosis and all these other physical pains.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 5:13 pm
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

@progress can you graphically show on what you mean by mewing on your weaker side? B/c that seems to be helping...I feel like my face is twisted and that seems to be causing my body to have scoliosis and all these other physical pains.

I simply meant balancing the tongue towards the weaker side, nothing more profound than that. Moreover, with scoliosis you may not even have a weaker side, instead both sides of your face may be uniquely and somewhat equally distorted, making each weak in a different way. Your wider side may be more downswung and your higher side narrower, for example.

Consider that the postural chains travel throughout your body something like this:

3f1f11

In scoliosis one side of either chain is weaker than the other. Each side of each chain delivers a different kind of force to the cranium. So you may see how it's not as simple as saying that left or right side of your face/body is weaker than the other.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 6:07 pm
healthyfacehealthylife
10+ Forum Posts

@Progress the bite on the left side of my face is stronger than my right bite. Also I did have severe CFD a year ago, I have been implementing Jamo's technique and my face got a little better and I do seem to have much more tongue space in my mouth. I'm still not healthy my face still doesn't look healthy neither is my body. 

I've been hard mewing laterally and upwards with an open mouth posture and I can finally now mew on my weaker side which I wasn't able to do a year ago due to my severe CFD and lack of tongue space. 

Besides mewing my towards my weaker side (I just apply more force on the right side of my hard and soft palate) What else can I implement for full body healing?

Can you please dumb it down for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 6:36 pm
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

What else can I implement for full body healing?

Esther Gokhale has written a decent book on posture. You will find many useful scoliosis exercises on Youtube. I laso recommend learning Buteyko breathing and proper way of using diaphragm, since having scoliosis, lordosis or any other postural imbalance usually guarantees at least some degree of diaphragmatic dysfunction.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2020 1:48 am
healthyfacehealthylife
10+ Forum Posts

@Progress Okay will do, thank you.

So I have scoliosis on the lower part of my back I think. Also when I hard mew while focusing on the right side (which is my weaker side) I can feel this aching pain in my jaw. 

Besides hard mewing and focusing on my right side I believe that's the only thing that can help me in the current situation I'm in. 

That's basically what you did to make your skull 'more athletic' right, @Progress

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2020 2:06 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts

@Progress Okay will do, thank you.

So I have scoliosis on the lower part of my back I think.  

That's basically what you did to make your skull 'more athletic' right, @Progress

Even though the scoliotic curvature may reside in lower back, your scoliosis is likely body-wide, especially since your cranium is asymmetric too. This means that everything between your feet and head is crooked in one way or another

My approach has been holistic from the beginning, meaning that I have striven to improve my oral and body posture together, so unfortunately I can't get very specific about what caused what.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2020 3:01 am
healthyfacehealthylife
10+ Forum Posts

@Progress Ok thank you, I will continue to hard mew and work on my body posture by chin tucking.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2020 4:48 am
Oushinuma
(@oushinuma)

@progress Hi sorry for posting what may be already answered, but I get confused easily. I was wondering what exercise can I do with a reverse C curve

Back View
WIN 20200428 16 55 23 Pro

scoliosis? Can you Email msg me or instant? I have been doing different exercises I saw on youtube and my ribs looks worse than before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2020 2:35 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @oushinuma

@progress Hi sorry for posting what may be already answered, but I get confused easily. I was wondering what exercise can I do with a reverse C curve

Back View
WIN 20200428 16 55 23 Pro

scoliosis? Can you Email msg me or instant? I have been doing different exercises I saw on youtube and my ribs looks worse than before.

It looks like your core on the right side (from my perspective) is slacking. Try doing all kinds of ab twists and crunches where you really focus on simultaneously contracting and stretching the various muscles of the torso. Really fight to extend the crunches as far to each side as you can. Let your shoulders and arms join into these twists. Few examples:

You may message me to niemi_miika@hotmail.com if you find it more convenient.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2020 3:45 am
Oushinuma
(@oushinuma)

@progress Do I do ab twist on both sides or do I do it on the side that is bad which is (from my perspective) the right side?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2020 6:03 am
Progress
(@progress)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @oushinuma

@progress Do I do ab twist on both sides or do I do it on the side that is bad which is (from my perspective) the right side?

Do everything for both sides. Study the patterns of movement on your better side and try to replicate them on your weaker side to ensure that you are mirroring the movements rather than only doing something loosely similar. Though realistically, when you have scoliosis, with movements like twists there may not be better sides, only differently working sides. Nevertheless, try to seek symmetry in your movements.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2020 6:06 am
Autokrator
(@autokrator)
10+ Forum Posts

Scoliosis tends to make your oral posture efforts uneven, meaning that you are going to have easier time expanding on side of the face than the other. Ultimately how your tongue, palate and jaws meet is a reflection of your spinal curvature, so as long as your scoliosis remains unresolved, it is inevitably going to affect the process in one way or another.

Ok so managing to expand isn't a problem, the problem is if one side expands more that the other and that in return causes asymmetry, correct?

As far as I know idiopathic/structural scoliosis cannot be treated (the doctor told me so) but I found exercises on YouTube specifically for it and after searching for a while I found a physiotherapeutic (sorry I don't know if that is how it is called in English) clinic in England that treats that type of scoliosis and I saw some promising before and after pics with x-rays and stuff. Any thoughts about it? Also my scoliosis formed around 14 to 15 years of age if that matters. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2020 11:49 pm
Chiquilla
(@chiquilla)

@autokrator I have scoliosis and am trying to correct it as well. I stumbled upon kinesiologist Eric Wong, he has a website (as well as a youtube channel) with specific exercises and steps to overcome imbalances and in general to optimize body usage. The idea is to build mind muscle connection to be able to activate certain muscles which over time have atrophied. Scoliosis specifically is not mentioned, but uneven hips and shoulders are, as well as regaining proper spine control. The content is not free but so far it's really been worth it to me, i've just begun but i will be updating my improvements. There are different phases you would go through for a specific amount of weeks, depending on where you are at (how many years, pain level), starting with: avoiding those habits that cause you more pain, so stabilizing the spine little by little, re learning how to pick things up etc. There are some self assesments as well, for you to know wether you have anteorior or posterior pelvic tilt, etc.

Worth checking out if you've got the $50 to spare

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2020 3:31 pm
Kk
 Kk
(@kk)

@Progress you are a legend… thank you for confirming my issue and that I will eventually be able to resolve it

I had upper jaw surgery for an underbite where the surgeon placed my jaw a few mm to the left to match my lower jaw. I developed scoliosis after ten years with a whole host of other problems as a result (varicocele, callus under second big toe on left foot due to more foot strike, left shoulder lower than right, lower back pain). I recently and have been mewing and it’s been fixing the left right asymmetry because every time I mew it pushes the right palate up and I hear an audible crack coming from the left side of my neck which is tight. I’m pretty sure my scoliosis and jaw asymmetry will go away in the future like you stated.

I’ve been combining this with posterior chain exercises since my scoliosis eventually impacted my hips and caused me to develop a varicocele. I was doing lunges at the gym and not properly tucking my pelvis after a long day of sitting behind a desk. It was only a matter of time that this injury would happen as a result of my scoliosis.

Another exercise that has been helping me besides mewing is laying on my back and basically flattening my lower back against the floor and holding the stomach contraction. This has been releasing my lower back pain as well as releasing some blood flow back into my varicocele. Is this somewhat similar to the standing pelvis tucking exercise you were describing earlier?

Another question I have is with my eyes… I’ve noticed my left has become more droopier as well. I’m not sure if this is due to scoliosis or some other cause? I have hypotropia… on the left side where my jaw is overdeveloped and causing the scoliosis… my left eye is slightly more downward then the right eye. Can this be as a result of the scoliosis? I tried to look at the photo you gave of the skeleton but can’t see why the left eye would become droopy and more downward looking as a consequence of the left right vision field becoming distorted due to the scoliosis

also you mentioned your jaw asymmetry has not fully resolved… is this as a consequence of you not working hard enough to fix the issues or is it because the asymmetry in your bone can’t be fixed but the scoliosis can? I’m wondering if the bone will eventually even out if I keep holding the correct posture, doing spinal alignment exercises as well as mewing properly. Anyway… thanks for the post because I have not seen this discussion about scoliosis and the impact mewing has on it anywhere else online. I found this post from this article by googling scoliosis and mewing

https://mindkindmom.com/mewing-using-your-tongue-to-heal-scoliosis/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2022 3:25 pm

THE GREAT WORK