Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Rotating the sphenoid bone  

RSS
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

This has been on my mind lately and thought to bring this up after seeing a recent post by @Ayla31 that touched on it.

Posted by: Ayla31

I also agree that even if the bones were fused (which I don't think so) expansion has more to do with hormones from the pituitary gland (like growth hormone) excreted through the stimulation and rotation of the sphenoid bone, like this myofunctional therapist says in this interview:

https://www.google.de/amp/s/articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/07/amp/orofacial-myofunctional-therapy.aspx

It also seems to be an idea mentioned in cranial sacral therapy circles: that with functional position of the sphenoid comes increased activation of the pituitary gland, improved blood flow to & from the brain and better functionality of the nervous system.

My palate is so flat at the back that there is no other place for my tongue to go other than to hit the roof of my mouth. I believe that as a consequence of this, possibly other factors, my sphenoid is getting activated and I'm experiencing some interesting effects. My ears have grown (which is okay, because people have pointed out that my ears were "too small"), and I have dreams nearly every night that can be recalled (when I was seemingly infrequently dreaming before). My brain seems to accept a lesson from each dream, as if dreams were somehow helpful toward adaptation (haven't studied this, just my sense of things).

For aesthetic effects, my maxilla keeps rotating up, along with some further posture improvement. During all my time mewing, my perception was that my maxilla barely budged until I reached around 42-43mm IMW, at which point it started rotating up exponentially (hope that makes sense).

I'm seemingly "stuck" at my current IMW (45mm), so maybe I can't expand anymore with just my tongue, but I'm only lately (in the past few months) getting the aforementioned changes which seem to relate to rotation and stimulation of the sphenoid. Would appreciate if others could share their experiences or knowledge about this phenomena!

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

Posted : 21/10/2018 1:34 pm
vitas, Sclera, Sceriff and 1 people liked
Topic Tags
Progress
Member Moderator

This is a very interesting subject, and I think we will understand it better once more and more people reach a certain level of development. There is definitely something to the notion that sufficient forward growth allows the pituitary gland and the nervous system to function better. From what I have seen people claim so far, this should result in overall improvements in wellbeing, including hormonal profiles, stamina, concentration, sociability and executive function and physique, perhaps even modest bone growth.

I agree that after 40 mm IMW things start to accelerate considerably. I wouldn't worry about getting stuck at a certain width. There seem to be plateaus where you won't progress much, then suddenly you will take a quantum leap forward in terms of posture and structure until you stagnate at another plateau. A certain kind of posture may work at some point and become unproductive at another... I personally shift a lot between downward & upward head angle while chin tucking - I find that both require different kind of response from the musculature.

It's interesting how your ears have grown. Your physical body has this genetic blueprint that it tries to fill and maintain throughout your life, in spite of all the genetic baggage & errors that accumulates along the years. I think that even after you have physically "matured", the body will still be able to progress closer towards this ideal, given proper stimulation. What we are doing is essentially about nudging the body in a direction to which it wants to bloom, which will in turn allow further changes to take place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2018 2:16 pm
Samuel Alonzo
Eminent Member

Sh*#%t I already have a big ear but oh well its worth it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2018 3:07 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

@samuel-alonzo You probably don't need to worry about it. I'm pretty sure my ears were underdeveloped, they were so small that I've had many people point it out over the years  😆 Now, quite suddenly they are normal-sized, this sudden growth that coincided with the changes I mentioned in the OP. Ears will gradually continue to grow as we get older.

Posted by: Progress

This is a very interesting subject, and I think we will understand it better once more and more people reach a certain level of development. There is definitely something to the notion that sufficient forward growth allows the pituitary gland and the nervous system to function better. From what I have seen people claim so far, this should result in overall improvements in wellbeing, including hormonal profiles, stamina, concentration, sociability and executive function and physique, perhaps even modest bone growth.

I agree that after 40 mm IMW things start to accelerate considerably. I wouldn't worry about getting stuck at a certain width. There seem to be plateaus where you won't progress much, then suddenly you will take a quantum leap forward in terms of posture and structure until you stagnate at another plateau. A certain kind of posture may work at some point and become unproductive at another... I personally shift a lot between downward & upward head angle while chin tucking - I find that both require different kind of response from the musculature.

It's interesting how your ears have grown. Your physical body has this genetic blueprint that it tries to fill and maintain throughout your life, in spite of all the genetic baggage & errors that accumulates along the years. I think that even after you have physically "matured", the body will still be able to progress closer towards this ideal, given proper stimulation. What we are doing is essentially about nudging the body in a direction to which it wants to bloom, which will in turn allow further changes to take place.

That's interesting you mention shifting between downward and upward head angle while chin tucking, a few months ago I watched this video and ever since then I've been mostly doing the downward angle chin tucking just at night, and during the day mainly keep an upward head angle while chin tucking. Not sure what effect its had yet.

Yes, the quantum leaps seems to be how it usually goes. Hopefully the next leap doesn't take as long as my first hurdle, or if it does then at least it'll be much easier and probably accompanied by some positive/interesting changes along these lines.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2018 3:02 am
Odys
 Odys
Trusted Member

I find massage, constant firm pressure, on the sphenoid in front of the temporal bone produces releases. I use it intending to address lateral shifts in my face, but hold the overall objective that my body becomes a puppet on a string played from a board which is the sphenoid.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2018 7:29 am
Halti.H
Posted by: Odys

I find massage, constant firm pressure, on the sphenoid in front of the temporal bone produces releases. I use it intending to address lateral shifts in my face, but hold the overall objective that my body becomes a puppet on a string played from a board which is the sphenoid.

Interesting, how can you know for sure that massaging that area actually produces releases though? It's the area on the side of your head right before your eyesockets right?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2018 9:24 am
auxiliary7
Eminent Member

Interesting, during my mewing and tucked-in chewing I actually feel all the pain in the sphenoid bone, I've always assumed it was the maxilla but looking at anatomy it's quite deeper than maxilla. I've also noticed if I mew too hard some bone pushes into my eye socket/brain and causes some headache.

But then again I measured my IMW before and after mewing, how can the IMW increase if the palate did not get expanded? And if I mew certain ways I'll feel it more closer to maxilla(the pressure). But the best results I had on my facial width was from feeling pressure in the sphenoid bone though or some other bone deeper than the maxilla and closer to the brains. 

I've been over-tucking the chin all the time and I haven't noticed any hormonal problems. With too much tension I'll notice headache I already mentioned, but this happens either way whether it's chin-tucked down or chin-tucked up, with chin-tucked down I feel good cheekbone activation during chewing.

But obviously he may be right as well and long-term it'll mess me up, so I'm very interested in this thread. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2018 10:53 am
Halti.H
Posted by: auxiliary7

Interesting, during my mewing and tucked-in chewing I actually feel all the pain in the sphenoid bone, I've always assumed it was the maxilla but looking at anatomy it's quite deeper than maxilla. I've also noticed if I mew too hard some bone pushes into my eye socket/brain and causes some headache.

But then again I measured my IMW before and after mewing, how can the IMW increase if the palate did not get expanded? And if I mew certain ways I'll feel it more closer to maxilla(the pressure). But the best results I had on my facial width was from feeling pressure in the sphenoid bone though or some other bone deeper than the maxilla and closer to the brains. 

I've been over-tucking the chin all the time and I haven't noticed any hormonal problems. With too much tension I'll notice headache I already mentioned, but this happens either way whether it's chin-tucked down or chin-tucked up, with chin-tucked down I feel good cheekbone activation during chewing.

But obviously he may be right as well and long-term it'll mess me up, so I'm very interested in this thread. 

Sounds like you're getting good results man, unfortunately the only pressure that I feel from mewing is in the cheekbones. How much has your intermolar width increased and how long did it take?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2018 1:15 pm
auxiliary7
Eminent Member
Posted by: Halti.H

Sounds like you're getting good results man, unfortunately the only pressure that I feel from mewing is in the cheekbones. How much has your intermolar width increased and how long did it take?

My IMW went from 37mm to 42mm in a span of around two or two and a half months. I noticed increased facial width or decreased facial length, I'm not sure. I'm still confused on how to properly mew as I believe most of my gains came from open-mouth chewing while having my chin tucked-in. 

Yes my gains are pretty good, but I believe it'll take at least two months before I can say for sure whether the changes are good or not. I'm trying to protrude my lower chin and basically rotate the maxilla since that's my weakest point. My maxilla is very inwards rotated causing my chin to literally end almost at the middle of my neck. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2018 1:26 pm
Halti.H

My IMW went from 37mm to 42mm in a span of around two or two and a half months. I noticed increased facial width or decreased facial length, I'm not sure. I'm still confused on how to properly mew as I believe most of my gains came from open-mouth chewing while having my chin tucked-in. 

Yes my gains are pretty good, but I believe it'll take at least two months before I can say for sure whether the changes are good or not. I'm trying to protrude my lower chin and basically rotate the maxilla since that's my weakest point. My maxilla is very inwards rotated causing my chin to literally end almost at the middle of my neck. 

Wow that's some fast expansion, how old are you? Assuming that you keep that rate of expansion up you should hit your full potential in terms of intermolar width in about 4 months, they say that results will keep exponentially increasing so I think that it sounds very believable.

How often and in how long sessions did you do the OM chewing? Also do you hard mew? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2018 2:28 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

Interesting, how can you know for sure that massaging that area actually produces releases though? It's the area on the side of your head right before your eyesockets right?

I haven't tried what @Odys describes yet, but you may try something else which I am fairly convinced can produce movement of the sphenoid. Then it may be possible to compare the two practices. When I do the one I linked, occasionally I'll feel a shifting feeling in the middle of my skull, and I feel confident enough it works on the sphenoid to have it in my regime.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2018 2:35 pm
auxiliary7
Eminent Member

Wow that's some fast expansion, how old are you? Assuming that you keep that rate of expansion up you should hit your full potential in terms of intermolar width in about 4 months, they say that results will keep exponentially increasing so I think that it sounds very believable.

How often and in how long sessions did you do the OM chewing? Also do you hard mew? 

Yes, I hard mew, I just OM-chew all types of food I eat daily and then do like two hours of xylitol/mastic gum chewing. 

I'm 18, soon 19. I supplement Vit D(high dose, I live in the north and have darker skin complexion), MK7, MK4, Magnesium-Citrate, Zinc-Orotate, Boron and Fish Oil.

I saw most changes in the beginning, I think my progress will slow down now I don't feel the type of face burn I did when I started OM-chewing while chin-tucked, I've always chewed with a closed mouth while in a face forward position. I also can't mew for long periods of time properly, I just can't breath at all, I do feel like my nasal breathing is much better lately though.

I'd also say my progress is very zig-zag, some days I'll make a big progress but most of the time face looks the same.

I also wanna add that according to mew indicator line I already had okay upwards growth, I think my maxilla needs to only slightly go forward and mostly rotate because my lower chin is somewhat recessed. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/10/2018 7:57 am
Halti.H
Posted by: Greensmoothies

I haven't tried what @Odys describes yet, but you may try something else which I am fairly convinced can produce movement of the sphenoid. Then it may be possible to compare the two practices. When I do the one I linked, occasionally I'll feel a shifting feeling in the middle of my skull, and I feel confident enough it works on the sphenoid to have it in my regime.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that out!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2018 3:16 am
Halti.H

Yes, I hard mew, I just OM-chew all types of food I eat daily and then do like two hours of xylitol/mastic gum chewing. 

I'm 18, soon 19. I supplement Vit D(high dose, I live in the north and have darker skin complexion), MK7, MK4, Magnesium-Citrate, Zinc-Orotate, Boron and Fish Oil.

I saw most changes in the beginning, I think my progress will slow down now I don't feel the type of face burn I did when I started OM-chewing while chin-tucked, I've always chewed with a closed mouth while in a face forward position. I also can't mew for long periods of time properly, I just can't breath at all, I do feel like my nasal breathing is much better lately though.

I'd also say my progress is very zig-zag, some days I'll make a big progress but most of the time face looks the same.

I also wanna add that according to mew indicator line I already had okay upwards growth, I think my maxilla needs to only slightly go forward and mostly rotate because my lower chin is somewhat recessed. 

I've heard that there will be middle stages where you won't make much progress but then you'll take a big step forward again. Maybe you're expiriencing that at the moment. Good luck to you though!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2018 3:19 am
auxiliary7
Eminent Member

I'm currently noticing some facial changes, especially in the area around zygo bones, but no increase in IMW. My tongue also fits perfectly, I think my tongue is too small to increase IMW much more. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2018 9:34 am
ani3000
Eminent Member

What was your  IMW when your started? and How old are you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/11/2018 1:56 pm