Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Ronald Eads suture split - what thumb pulling actually should feel and (not)sound like  

RSS
Loliboly
Estimable Member

Before I get to the main question, I need to give a short account of my own experience, which prompted this idea.

Regarding sensations

From what I recall, I have never really seen the occurrence of sensations being mentioned in discussions about thumb pulling. When I thumb pull myself, I get quite clear sensations in the middle of my nose, which even may extend up through my forehead. Sometimes it even feels like my nose would be split apart if I could apply enough force(to be clear, this is not felt in the forehead). After finishing a thumb pulling session, my nose feels a little bit sore, like it has been hit by something. My hope is that this indicates that the suture is being targeted, and that I may be able to split it if I keep being consistent. @ronaldead said that prior to his MSE splitting his suture, he felt a lot of pressure in his face, and as I understood it, in the nose especially.

Edit: I may add that I also feel considerable tension in my cranium, and that my tinnitus  intensifies somewhat while pulling.

Regarding sounds

I don't hear any of the often reported cracks or pops in my palate/suture. In the beginning, I thought I heard a lot of them. But then I realized that the sounds originated either from my jaw moving(my jaw always clicks faintly when opening or closing it), or from the friction thumbs rubbing against each other.

The main question and contention

In lightning of the above, this may come across as biased. But please hear me out: If the bones in ones face started separating, to such a degree that one could hear this, wouldn't accompanying sensations be expected? It seems unlikely to me that this wouldn't be the case. If anything, I think sensations of separation would precede the occurrence of any sounds. But even more so, should we even expect to hear anything at all? As mentioned, @ronaldead reported experiences of sensations due to splitting his suture. But he never once mentioned the occurrence of sounds. Not even at the time at which he believed the spilt occurred, did he report hearing anything. Not even a single pop. During the movement a sound would have been the most expected! This makes believe that the focus of thumb puling should be on generating sensations, and not so much, if at all, on sounds. But I would be happy to discuss this with the rest of you.

What do you think? What do you experience your self? Are sensations a positive or negative sign? Should we expect any sounds? For those of you who claim to hear sounds in your palate, how are you sure they actually originate from there? Please share your thoughts and experiences!

Posted : 08/05/2020 7:04 am
Robbie343
Trusted Member

I get that feeling of pressure around my nose a lot. Like a light punch in the nose as you say. Lately I’ve been feeling cracks almost like a release of tension type feeling all around my maxilla. Just last night laying in bed I felt a huge release of something on the right side of my nose. I tried thumb pulling but don’t do it anymore. This has been just from my tongue.

A few weeks ago I would feel a lot of pressure on the left side of my palate. That pressure is now gone. I’ve just now begun feeling pressure around my eye sockets. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/05/2020 10:49 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@robbie343

Interesting. Does this feel good? And do you hear anything? Or do you just feel something? Also, do you feel the sensations has correlated with some progress for your face?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2020 4:50 am
Thomas22
Trusted Member
Posted by: @robbie343

I get that feeling of pressure around my nose a lot. Like a light punch in the nose as you say.

I've experienced pressure around the crown of my nose, where the nasal bone and the maxilla join, with my palate expander. I've also felt pressure along the sides, where the maxilla meets the lacrimal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2020 1:58 pm
Robbie343
Trusted Member

@loliboly

That particular sensation felt good yes. It startled me a bit tbh. I felt it and heard it. 

Ive only been mewing since October so I haven’t noticed anything myself, but the inside of my mouth feels quite different. There’s more tongue space. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2020 4:27 pm