Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Ronald Ead - AGGA is NOT the Holy Grail

Page 2 / 2
GoTTi
Trusted Member

What's up, gentlemen? Sorry for bombarding this comment section but I felt the need to post this. I just found a link to some very interesting agga results that confirm (imo) what I have been saying about posture being more of a factor than jaw advancement. I found this link on this very website by another member. 

https://stamforddentist.com/agga-examples/

Thoughts? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2019 5:55 am
entelechy
Trusted Member

@apollo

Hello Apollo---  I have been working for a little while on improving forward head posture.  I have found that yoga really works best.   I can send you a couple videos if you send me a private message.   The neck tuck is good but not enough.  What helps for me is concentrating on other muscles, like the stomach, lower back the back lifting up---and the head naturally follows.    The whole skeleton has to be realigned.  It will also affect how you hold your teeth and mouth, which will in turn effect the neck posture.  (can send a video by whatsapp)

entelechy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2019 12:46 am
Silver
Trusted Member
Posted by: @ronaldead

Thank you for inviting me to clarify my position. There are some details I left out of my response to you about my history of rebuilding my full body posture. Those details are available in an older blog post and sometimes I make the mistake of assuming that online conversation partners have read my entire blog.

It is important for me now to point out that the very road that let me to attempting adult facial reconstruction in the first place (in 2015, when I started hardcore mewing for the first time) was 5 years of extremely zealous full body posture training according to the Gokhale method. Through 5 years of dedicated effort (much of it 12 hours a day of lazer-sharp-focused-attention on my posture while living at a Thai Forest Buddhist Monastery in San Diego County) I overhauled my entire body posture, from the arches of my feet, to my pelvis, to the elongation of my spine, to the placement of my shoulders, and everything in between.

What I realized during this process is that no matter how hard I tried, I could not get my damn neck to elongate (according to Gokhale's ideas of proper neck posture). It was this roadblock which I lived with for 2-3 years that drove the investigation that eventually concluded in realizing that my facial structure was [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] up.

I realized that there was an undeniable interconnection between the spreading of the tongue (every last bit of it) onto the roof of the mouth and the extension of my neck. The simultaneous execution of these motions is an exercise I have dubbed the "occipital flex." The occipital flex is the key to solid-as-hell neck posture. It calls for apply mindfulness to the inner muscles of the neck in the occipital region and consciously flexing them, while simultaneously spreading the tongue on the roof of the mouth. Basically chin-tuck mewing simultaneously. What you will realize if attempting this is that if the tongue is not spread widely and firmly onto the roof my mouth, the neck inevitably kinks the second mindfulness is taken off of it. The inner neck flexing and the tongue spread complement, facilitate and reinforce each other. In fact, I would say they depend on each other. You really cannot have one without the other. But holding the "occipital flex" is an unbelievable sturdy position to be in and guarantees no occipital neuralgia (headache) symptoms. 

In addition, during my full body posture training I realized it was absolutely impossible for me to eat or talk without breaking my occipital flex.

All this led me to the conclusion that inability to spread the tongue was the direct cause of my inability to habituate the occipital flex. That's when I started investing lots of time and money into making my mouth bigger. And here we are today.

To sum up: IMO it is a brute physiological fact that truly durable, elongated neck posture depends on a complete tongue spread. A complete tongue spread is nigh impossible without sufficient oral real estate (as anyone who has every seriously attempted Mewing knows).

Now, if you want to argue the legitimacy of Esther Gokhale's view of proper posture, that is another thing entirely. But I assure you that I have done all of the full body posture work that there is to be done, and that my posture from the neck down is quite solid. In fact for a while I considered becoming a certified Gokhale posture teacher. It is this posture that allowed me to meditate so much without a cushion (flat on the floor) and without injuring my knees (this is actually a serious issue for many American monks). See this video where I sit in full lotus without cushion effortlessly for over 20 minutes.

By the way I am not being defensive I just feel very strongly that people need to be aware about the potential link between their facial structure and chronic headaches caused by impossible-to-fix neck posture. I mean, this is the main thesis of my entire online presence.

Ronald, does it make sense to you that someone could become more susceptible to the neck kinking as he mews? I have made great progress, and my neck is incredibly straight from what it used to be a year ago, and I have no problem doing your occipital flex, but it almost feels like my neck is weaker, or more fragile now, and I sometimes get twinges of neuralgia like I didn't before. Is that an issue of not mewing faster than the associated neck and shoulder muscles can keep up? If I focus on the flex, it takes almost no muscular effort, but I frequently forget and slouch, and I think the new range of motion allows for a greater kinking than was previously possible. Does that make any sense? Do you have any recommendations?

Love your YouTube channel!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2019 11:17 am
Silberman

---

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2019 3:06 pm
ronaldead
Verified Account

@silver

It makes sense and I have experienced a similar thing where changing posture for the better can actually result in an increase in pain/discomfort in that area for a while.

However, by far the lesser of two evils is to continue on with weakness/poor posture for years to come. Yeah, I agree it sucks for a while but it's worth it in the end to transform. I'd say give it a year and see how you feel. If the pain continues to get worse and worse, try something different. But in a year or so it might work itself out, as has been my experience.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/12/2019 1:42 pm
Page 2 / 2