Forum

Please Note: The Users of this site are not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual reader. The ideas, procedures, and suggestions contained within this work are not intended as a substitute for examination by your medical practitioner.

REVIEW: Greek Chios (Xios) Mastic Gum - Open Mouth Chewing  

RSS
AloeVera
(@aloevera)
Eminent Member

About to start the Open Mouth Chewing (OMC) suggested by some of our members!

In short, the idea behind OMC is that the 'modern diet' is more or less mush compared to what our ancestors would have been forced to eat. No ready meals! As such, our masseter muscle is underused because it isn't needed to chew any hard foods. As a result it atrophies (weakens) which results in a far softer jawline. 

I could go on, but here's a useful primer with a lot of great pictures:  http://claimingpower.com/jawline/

Back to the review. This has just arrived in the mail:

It tastes like tree sap. Probably because it is. It's initially like eating small stones, but quickly becomes more malleable. Really unusual texture. I kinda like it!

That's my review so far - I'll keep it updated as we go along

Btw, if you already OMC, is this the type of product you'd suggest for OMC or something else?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2018 5:40 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Estimable Member

i searched and that seems to be the best beside maybe a dogs chew toy lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2018 9:48 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Apollo
Posted by: Allixa

On the topic of Mastic gum, for those saying the pieces are too soft and get stuck between the teeth, which brand are you ordering?

I always order this one:

Every single piece I get in there is legit. In fact I go out of my way to look for the softer pieces (the ones that can bend with finger pressure alone) because the hard ones (tough as glass) are super tough. Each piece lasts me a week or more and has a great pine flavor.

Posted by: Apollo
Posted by: Allixa

I do believe that you have been diligent with your chewing (what gum btw?)

I'm on my third box of that same brand of mastic you mentioned last week (  https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/where-to-order-mike-mew-chewies-for-jaw-chewing-training/#post-1372 ). I've always found it to be very suitable for my purposes.

This post was modified 2 months  ago by Apollo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2018 10:59 pm
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member

From a discussion I had with Dr. Mew he seemed to be against open mouth chewing. I think he said something to the effect that it stretches the lips and makes them exert inward pressure on the teeth. Don't quote me on this because it was some time ago and it was not the main topic of our discussion. Hopefully he will address this when he replies to the questions submitted to him earlier this year.

name changed from abdul to Abdulrahman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 1:17 am
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member

I chew with a closed mouth simply because I focus more on incisor chewing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 9:30 am Dominik liked
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Estimable Member

@abdulrahman im all for open mouth chewing if u do it correctly because every other species in the world open mouth chews. If we were never told to keep our mouth closed we would open mouth chew all the time just look at young kids.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 3:13 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Rockyp33

@abdulrahman im all for open mouth chewing if u do it correctly because every other species in the world open mouth chews. If we were never told to keep our mouth closed we would open mouth chew all the time just look at young kids.

That's definitely not true that only humans closed mouth chew. Where did you get this info?

Besides, we are also the only species that is self aware and can develop laws and technology so I am not sure the whole "animals don't do it" is a legit argument tbh

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 5:25 pm Dominik liked
Apollo
(@apollo)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman

From a discussion I had with Dr. Mew he seemed to be against open mouth chewing. I think he said something to the effect that it stretches the lips and makes them exert inward pressure on the teeth. Don't quote me on this because it was some time ago and it was not the main topic of our discussion. Hopefully he will address this when he replies to the questions submitted to him earlier this year.

@greensmoothies pointed this out a few days ago and I found it interesting:

Posted by: Greensmoothies

Looks like Mew does OMC too (or with gum, at least):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL8di_NoQgU&t=0m11s

Also, when talking about open mouth chewing, people often confuse actively holding the lips back away from the teeth while chewing with passively keeping the lips parted while chewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2018 5:41 pm Sclera liked
Dominik
(@dominik)
Trusted Member

I have been freezing and re chewing this gum, mostly because I hate spending money and its expensive here. Seems to last 1 week or 7 days worth of chewing. Yesterday I could hardly get it to form a gum again and on Sunday there were signs of this already during chewing as it became even tougher and slightly brittle.

At first when I chewed this even my vision got blurry, seem to be used to it now. Closed mouth chewing isn't supposed to activate the buccutors tho and even Dr. Mew recommends closed mouth chewing. Imo if ppl are getting chipmunk cheeks, they are probably not swallowing their saliva and food properly. Dr. Mew recommends learning the push-swallow.

This post was modified 2 months  ago 2 times by Dominik
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2018 12:11 am
AloeVera
(@aloevera)
Eminent Member

UPDATE: I've given up on this gum. I can't stand the taste!

Anyone got a good alternative?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2018 1:05 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Estimable Member

@aloevera yeah something about the taste is definitley off putting especialy if its like a week old lol but i still chew it sometimes @eddimoney if you look at most kids before learning manners moster chew with an open mouth

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2018 8:06 pm
zosogg
(@zosogg)

I've been thinking about the utility of strengthening the masseter muscles. Is this really important? In fact, could it maybe be counterproductive? Sure, if we had chewed a lot during growing stages we would have kept our mouth closed more often, but now that we're grown past this stage, what if it is counter productive? Read here. The masseter muscles are the strongest in the body, pound for pound. If you are not properly maintaining tongue posture *constantly*, stronger masseter muscles could maybe serve to compress your face *even more than it already is*. 

I've even heard stories of relapses from maxillofacial surgery because the masseter muscles literally pull the face back to its original form. My whole point here is, maybe if you're not confident on your oral posture, you should lay off strengthening the jaw muscles. It could be nice to add on top if you are already certain you have *pristine* oral posture, but until then, I might lay off. I'd be happy for someone to educate me otherwise on the importance of chewing and masseter hypertrophy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2018 10:55 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register