Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Reversal of lower bicuspid extraction effects?

EddieMoney
Reputable Member

And no others? When my ortho work was done, only the lower bicuspids were taken out. I suppose this was good because my archway wasn't narrowed, but at the same time I feel like my lower bicuspid extractions made my face and profile unbalanced.

I feel these extractions that narrowed my lower arch have caused my mandible to sit far into my face which then weakens my profile.

I also notice that this lower arch narrowing makes my submental area more turkey like. 

Have any of you gotten these extractions and seen improvements in your submental area, chin projection, and profile through postural changes? Or have you had to get lower expansion done?

Topic starter Posted : 12/05/2018 10:25 pm
Couda
Eminent Member

I believe i lost some chin width but a slightly protruded chin due to extractions.

Do you have a fixed bottom retainer?
I have that and im considering removing it, but then i'll have to find a rebel dentist. 
The retainer is holding the bottom front teeth in an unnatural way. Before extractions, my incisors and canines were aligned in a straight line and they were not crooked at all.  Now they are curved and it does not look natural.

When a tooth is lost, the teeth behind will naturally migrate towards the gap to close it. Its called mesial drift and happens all the time but it is slow. Maybe if I remove my retainer, my canines will come back to the position they were before and open up the gap so the 2nd premolars can come forward too. That would also release the upper 2nd premolars to move laterally and forwards by mewing and align the upper incisors in a straighter line. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 4:56 am
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member
Posted by: Couda

I believe i lost some chin width but a slightly protruded chin due to extractions.

I have that and im considering removing it, but then i'll have to find a rebel dentist. 
The retainer is holding the bottom front teeth in an unnatural way. Before extractions, my incisors and canines were aligned in a straight line and they were not crooked at all.  Now they are curved and it does not look natural.

When a tooth is lost, the teeth behind will naturally migrate towards the gap to close it. Its called mesial drift and happens all the time but it is slow. Maybe if I remove my retainer, my canines will come back to the position they were before and open up the gap so the 2nd premolars can come forward too. That would also release the upper 2nd premolars to move laterally and forwards by mewing and align the upper incisors in a straighter line. 

I had the misfortune of needing a tooth extracted on my maxillary arch but I've not got a crown or anything, and all the while I've been mewing (this occurred a year ago now). In that time this mesial shift didn't occur, more like the space increased and I've developed a deviated midline (although bite is unaffected so far). So I figure I'll need Invisalign or something similar after I'm done expanding and then have to figure out what I'm placing at the site of the missing tooth.

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 11:39 am
Couda
Eminent Member
Posted by: Greensmoothies

I had the misfortune of needing a tooth extracted on my maxillary arch but I've not got a crown or anything, and all the while I've been mewing (this occurred a year ago now). In that time this mesial shift didn't occur, more like the space increased and I've developed a deviated midline (although bite is unaffected so far). So I figure I'll need Invisalign or something similar after I'm done expanding and then have to figure out what I'm placing at the site of the missing tooth.

Im not sure if teeth can fill the gap from a lost incisor tooth. But if its a molar, the back shift will just shift forward. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 2:31 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

My fixed retainer is behind my front six teeth so yes . however the teeth they took out were not part of the front teeth so I don't know if removing them will make a difference

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/05/2018 5:42 pm
Couda
Eminent Member

@EddieMoney

Have your lower biscupids moved laterally in respond to upper biscupid expansion?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 12:46 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@EddieMoney

Have your lower biscupids moved laterally in respond to upper biscupid expansion?

I don't know. Maybe I should measure the current width between them and then check with time if they shift. Though I will say my tongue has only made it to the incisive papilla since about a month ago so maybe too soon to see any change. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/05/2018 3:46 pm