Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Rethinking Our Ideas On Sleeping Posture  

RSS
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8UoAASCUsQ

This video is very contradicting of what we once thought was correct. I don't he mentioned anything about tongue posture, but if we take having proper tongue posture into consideration during sleep, will it make sleeping on your back superior to the other positions. He brought up primates and we all believe they have a habit of correct function, right? Maybe, except a few domesticated ones possibly. What do you think of the interesting and insightful information laid out in the video?

Posted : 25/07/2019 9:12 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

His point about snoring applies to people who lack tongue posture which I guess is most first world people. However I think side sleeping is better and this video just confirms it I guess. The reason I think it's better is that you can have better head posture while sleeping on your side, when I try sleeping on my back with good head posture I'm only able to bring my chin down and in, not back like I want to, because the mattress/floor is blocking my head from going any further. In addition I feel like I can get my pelvis in a better position in terms of tilt (a more lordotic position specifically), not that it actually matters since gravity isn't putting pressure on the spine, but because it reinforces good body posture. Also by lordosis I mean getting the pelvis back and up, our lower back has a natural lordosis. Getting into a proper lordosis/pelvis position as well as being able to pull back I feel will improve my slight sunken chest (pectus excavatum ). If on my back I can't get into proper head posture or lordotic posture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swmuu7GIbKw

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2019 9:53 pm
Demir liked
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Do you think a mattress that accustoms itself to your spinal curvature and your body posture, it will be good for you. I am not completely convinced I want to sleep on my side. Having to switch sides over facial asymmetry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2019 1:39 am
sinned
Estimable Member

@fred

I don't think sleeping on one side will affect facial symmetry honestly, unless you mouth breathe. Also it really isn't possible to get your spine in a normal curvature with any mattress, when your sleeping on your back at least. Not that it matters that much anyway since gravity isn't placing pressure on the spine. I'm not here to say which side you should sleep on, I honestly don't think it matters that much, sleep whatever side you feel that you feel you can mew best on and that you feel most comfortable. But if you haven't just try lying on your side and getting into proper head posture, I feel for me at least it is easier on my side to bring my head back since there's no mattress limiting my range of motion. Same for the pelvis, I can bring my butt back and up, trying to do this on my back is just not comfortable, I get more of an arch like that people do when the bench press, so basically I've got space between the mattress and the lower back, meaning my lower back isn't being supported. Trying to hold this position is not that comfortable.

Image result for bench press arch

It's kind of like this, although this is very exaggerated, there's way less arch and the space between my lower back and mattress isn't that much, but it still isn't being supported. By trying to get the butt back and up while lying on your back, you just get an arch like this, obviously this is exaggerated but you get the point. This is because the shoulder blades/upper back are on the same level as the butt. What's important to get your lower back in proper lordosis is to get your butt up and BACK, ie extend it out. No matter what mattress firmness you use, your upper back and butt will always be level.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2019 5:13 pm