Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Removable expander, metallic taste  

RSS
elevee
Trusted Member

I've had a removable expander for about 6 months, and been going very, very slowly--about 3-4mm in total in all this time. Recently I started expanding more quickly, and about the same time had a badly decayed molar removed. I've been noticing a really distinct metallic taste in my mouth, esp. on the hard palate. It's not the iron taste of blood, but like the aluminum flavor of chewing on tin foil. The extraction site is healing without soreness or puffiness, so I don't think it's a local infection. Has anyone experienced this metallic taste with their expander? Any ideas?

Posted : 13/10/2019 12:11 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

What expander are you using, and where did you purchase it from?

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2019 12:42 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

It's the Y expander from Braces Shop, with the Y section filed back so it doesn't touch my front teeth

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 7:38 pm
Maddyfresh

Please tell me you found an answer. I have only had mine about 2 weeks and have now started experiencing the metallic taste so much that I am removing it more often. It’s a miserable and disorienting taste. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2020 11:57 am
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

I do not use an expander but I experience a strange taste in my mouth every so often as well. I do not know if I would describe it as metallic, I'm not really sure what that tastes like, but I experience it usually when it feels like my my palate is remodeling. My unscientific explanation for it is that it is some kind of toxicity being released from the soft tissue. I recently started using a myobrace and I am experiencing the taste more often now, I think because the brace has sped up the remodeling of my upper arch and soft palate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2020 2:40 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@shakti_om

Could it also be a result of some deficiency? I know that iron-deficiency anemia can cause a metallic taste in the mouth.

@elevee

Tangentially, can I ask how long you waited to receive your expander from Braces Shop (and what country you ordered to)? I sent out my teeth impressions about 2 months ago to the lab / factory in China. I emailed Braces Shop and their German lab / office still hasn't received my package. I sent it through the cheapest, standard USPS mail, and the lady at the post office told me that it could take a month to arrive in China. I guess I just want to know if other people also waited this long.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2020 4:35 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

@elwynn

My internet search tells me that too much iron can cause a metallic taste. I can't find anything at the moment which says iron deficiency can cause it. I did find something that said sinus issues can create a metallic taste in the mouth, so it could be related to allergies or sinus congestion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2020 5:13 pm
UwU
 UwU

@elwynn

Why did you have to send it to china?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2020 6:15 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@uwu

BracesShop sent me an email, saying:

Attached you will find the instructions for the impression kit as well as your return form.

After completing your impressions, please ship them to our dental lab at the following address:

*******************, Shenzhen
China

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2020 6:38 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@shakti_om

Right, maybe I've got it reversed.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2020 6:39 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

@maddyfresh

I agree with the poster above who correlates the metallic taste with a period of more active remodelling. I didn't experience this until I started to expand more on top, and it does seem to rise and fade with expansion/remodelling activity. I can't say I like it, but I do advise against taking them out! The ideal is that you leave them in whenever you're not eating so that you're not toggling your teeth back and forth every time the expander comes out for an hour or two.

My mail process was much, much faster, but I didn't use the slowest method on purpose because I wanted them in a timely manner. I sent from the east coast of the US and they had them within 10 days, they took one week to fabricate, and I had the expanders in hand a week after that. If I were you I might consider redoing your impressions and sending by a more prompt method. I have definitely seen posters on here whose packages have been lost en route. I don't know about you, but I got enough modeling material from them to do several sets of casts, and you can buy impressions trays on ebay or amazon pretty easily.

Like @Elwynn, I was corresponding with a Bracesshop staffer located in Germany but was instructed to ship to their lab location in China.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 2:56 pm
Maddyfresh

So @elevee you believe that the taste stems from the expander doing its job and the process of getting active expansion in the palate is causing it?

Thankfully at the moment I’ve been able to trick my brain into believing the flavor is less metallic and more of a sour/candy sort of flavor and I am slightly less miserable now- but still perplexed by how randomly the metallic taste hit me!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 3:17 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

I have just experienced this metallic-like taste yesterday for the very first time. The feeling lasted several minutes. I considered whether it was brought on by something I ate, or by forgetting to brush my teeth, but I brushed my teeth as I always did, and I hadn't eaten anything recently at that time. The feeling coincided with the first time that I succeeded in getting ALL of my tongue on my palate earlier that day. The hypothesis that the taste is produced by the bones of the skull, when they expand or shift at the sutures is convincing to me.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2020 11:37 pm
niccistar

@elevee Hi, I was wondering how your experience has been with the Y expander. I am trying to decide between that one and the regular expander. Were you able to get any forward growth/remodeling with it? I sent you a private msg if you'd rather reply there. Thanks! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 6:34 pm