Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Recessed or just fat?  

RSS
HicEstLeoSperbus

I've been mewing for a few years now, from June of 2018 to now, and seen some good progress. However, I suspect my lower jaw is a little recessed, and I have a bit of a deep bite where if my molars touch my front teeth don't and vice versa. 

Here's my mewing journey and progress so far:

8/13/18: Took my first profile picture. Posture was terrible and I had bad nerd neck.

11/6/2018: Dropped down to about 10-12% BF and fixed neck posture a little bit. Clearly got some forward growth.

11/6/2018: Around this time, hallow cheeks came in:

5/14/2019: Down to about 8-10% BF and my head posture improved incredibly. Hallow cheeks still visible in good lighting.

6/13/2019: However, here things take a turn for the worst as I start a bulk and gain weight too quickly. I'm mildly chin-tucking, but my submental area is noticeably much worse.

12/14/2019: Face is much wider, but also less lean as I am up 15lbs (probably 10lbs of muscle though) from where I was over summer of 2018. 

So mewing works because my posture got better, and my face still looks forward grown even without faking it with forward-neck posture like I used to do. 

But my submental region sucks now. Is it just going up from  10% to 15% body fat, or is my mandible getting set back?

Posted : 21/04/2020 11:45 am
Fred liked
Hakibro

First of all if you were really 10-12% body fat in that one pic it doesn't really show, it looks like you're holding water and that might be because of diet and your workout routine.  Second, I think in the white tee shirt side profile pic your mewing technique might be off the mark.  Try to get the back of the tongue up there as well, a lot of the time I see guys only do the front half of the tongue and it gives them a double chin like what you have in that picture.  Look in the mirror and experiment with tongue postures and see how your neck moves, you should notice that when the rear of the tongue is being used to push upwards, your double chin will shrink.

Basically, I'd keep practicing your mewing form, Here's a good video on the topic.  Chew some gum every day, try tongue chewing.  Keep working out and make sure to iron out any kinks in your diet, I suggest looking into a lower carb higher fat and protein diet but I'll leave that up to your personal research on the issue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 11:09 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

Ignore that bullshit about water.

It's obvious from your most recent picture that you've developed the opposite of forward head posture, your head is tilted way too backwards.

Move your head a bit forward, make sure the weight is even, then do a swallow-hold and take the same picture, then we'll have more information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 8:04 pm
Hakibro
Posted by: @auxiliarus

It's obvious from your most recent picture that you've developed the opposite of forward head posture, your head is tilted way too backwards.

Move your head a bit forward, make sure the weight is even, then do a swallow-hold and take the same picture, then we'll have more information.

Water weight is not bullshit 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2020 6:27 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @hakibro
Posted by: @auxiliarus

Water weight is not bullshit 

Skin thickness in most places is compromised of fat cells, the effect of water retention to make you look bloated is really limited. And the amount of retention that can happen in blood vessels is limited as well, it's like half a liter spread out over your whole body.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2020 2:53 am
HicEstLeoSperbus

@auxiliarus, thanks for responding. Here's a photo of me now sticking out my head a bit further. I have been chin tucking for 4+ hours a day as I am frequently looking down at my computer. Is it possible that my posture has now overcompensated and I need to bring my neck forward? Either way, I can't tell if my lower third is recessed or if I just got fat. I've included a full upper body shot (using a mirror) so you can see my overall posture and how I hold my head. I've also included a photo of how I look from the front if that helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2020 5:27 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @hicestleosperbus

Here's a photo of me now sticking out my head a bit further. I have been chin tucking for 4+ hours a day as I am frequently looking down at my computer. Is it possible that my posture has now overcompensated and I need to bring my neck forward? Either way, I can't tell if my lower third is recessed or if I just got fat. I've included a full upper body shot (using a mirror) so you can see my overall posture and how I hold my head. I've also included a photo of how I look from the front if that helps.

IMAGE 2020 04 25 17:23:39
IMAGE 2020 04 25 17:23:23

You didn't ask me but I'll just go ahead and say your neck posture is really good. You do not need to bring your head or neck forward, just keep them where they are now. Your lower third doesn't seem recessed to me, however. But if you could lower your body fat percentage than the current amount, I'm sure you would see quicker improvements in your side profile.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2020 9:02 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus, thanks for responding. Here's a photo of me now sticking out my head a bit further. I have been chin tucking for 4+ hours a day as I am frequently looking down at my computer. Is it possible that my posture has now overcompensated and I need to bring my neck forward? Either way, I can't tell if my lower third is recessed or if I just got fat. I've included a full upper body shot (using a mirror) so you can see my overall posture and how I hold my head. I've also included a photo of how I look from the front if that helps.

Should have started with these pictures, it's obvious you are overweight. You've really underestimated your body-fat. You're way above 15% body-fat. Looks like 20% minimum, maybe even 25%.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 1:49 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Holy Jesus. When I scrolled down to see that hollow cheeks pic, I felt satisfaction.

I'm suspecting your submental region is like it is right now because of the body fat % rebound or you don't have the rear part of the tongue up and on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2020 7:40 pm
HicEstLeoSperbus

@auxiliarus, @Azrael, @Hakibro

I wanted to post an update now that I have lost about 10lbs. I'm about 150lbs, 5'6" and probably 15-18% body fat (maybe a little leaner). Here's what I look like. I tried holding my head naturally and looking straight ahead, but I'm not entirely sure if this is my natural posture. I might have been looking up a little bit, and I was definitely mewing.

Do I have forward head posture? Are my jaws recessed? My deep bite has not gotten any better, and my double chin isn't significantly lessened.

Thanks again! Please excuse the messy background. Just moved.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2020 10:50 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@hicestleosperbus

I’m no expert, but you don’t look recessed to me. And I don’t think your mandible has become worse. As you get leaner, I think you’ll see this for yourself! Regarding your neck, it looks pretty good to me. But I am wondering, do you struggle with anterior pelvic tilt?

Otherwise, let me congratulate you on your progress! May I ask about your routine, as well as your age?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2020 6:30 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus, @Azrael, @Hakibro

I wanted to post an update now that I have lost about 10lbs. I'm about 150lbs, 5'6" and probably 15-18% body fat (maybe a little leaner). Here's what I look like. I tried holding my head naturally and looking straight ahead, but I'm not entirely sure if this is my natural posture. I might have been looking up a little bit, and I was definitely mewing.

Do I have forward head posture? Are my jaws recessed? My deep bite has not gotten any better, and my double chin isn't significantly lessened.

Thanks again! Please excuse the messy background. Just moved.

You looked good, you took bad advice and bulked for no reason, I'd say you still have a lot of fat that you need to cut. I'd give you ~20% body-fat.

Good job on the 10 lbs though, it's tough to lose weight.

In my opinion there's no point for you to get to lower than 140 lbs, that'd be too hard and too light. Your biggest issue is you've barely any muscle mass. Consider investing in a hypertrophy program and doing a re-comp/slow cut.

You should gain like 25 lbs of muscle in 3 years, can do it in 1,5 years if you go crazy strict about everything.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2020 8:18 pm
CrimsonChin

I think you have a pretty decent facial structure; I know how easy it is to obsess about not looking like a model, even if you look "fine", we all know that isn't good enough. Punished with being 5'6 myself, albeit underweight, it's hard to say exactly how much being slightly overweight would be a detriment/benefit. I think having a higher body fat would make my face look fuller, even if the weight I got up to (say 135) would still be embarrassingly low for anyone with a more average height/frame. I do have to say you look better in the more recent photo; congrats on the weight loss.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2020 9:24 pm