Forum

Please Note: The Users of this site are not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual reader. The ideas, procedures, and suggestions contained within this work are not intended as a substitute for examination by your medical practitioner.

Questions  

RSS
Skull
(@skull)
Estimable Member

I started mewing almost 2 weeks  ago, all is going good, I think my tongue position might be almost perfect except that sometimes my tip zone feels wiggly and need to readjust it.

A few days ago I started feeling a sensation similar to "numbness" in my front ridges and part of my mid palate. I touch it with my finger to see if I have sensibility, and I do, 100% sensibility, same with my tongue. It's like the 'unsensible' area were inside my palate, it's strange. I'm sure though, it's nothing bad and I will continue whatsoever, I'm just curious to know if that's a common thing. (I must add, the numbness type of sensation only happens while I'm mewing, i.e., always. But I mean, if I remove my tongue, I feel my palate normal.)

Also, regarding chewing, I have 2 questions:

1) Do you think it's ok to chew with more force than needed when you are eating, to train the jaw muscles? As in, no matter if you are eating mashed potatoes, I would chew it fairly strongly.

And 2) Another point with chewing, is it ok to use the tongue as an "extra big tooth" haha sounds lame but, I press the food towards my palate with my tongue (just as if I were swallowing), every time I chew, simultaneously. What do you think about it? Thanks, and sorry for the strange questions hahaha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2018 2:16 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)
Reputable Member

I haven't experienced the numbness you describe. I guess maintaining constant pressure with your tongue against your palate could be causing compression neuropathy like your arm "falling asleep," and releasing the pressure restores sensory impulses. If you make a tongue sweep and swallow motion a few times every minute, it should prevent this from happening. Thoroughly chewing your food and smashing the bolus against your palate with your tongue seem like good ideas to me, but I would avoid just clenching or grinding your teeth to prevent bruxism or TMJ issues. I guess I mean once you've thoroughly broken down the mashed potatoes you mentioned and mixed it with saliva to form a slurry, it isn't necessary to continue chewing just to develop your masseters. Maybe that is when you smash the bolus with your tongue a few times as you swallow it all down.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2018 3:23 pm
Skull
(@skull)
Estimable Member

Ok, thank you. Now, I have another question, today I startes feeling my left second premolar a little loose. Is that ok? Is not much and I feel no pain, just the sentation when I bite while mewing. I tried moving it with my fingers to check how loose ot is but it doesn't seem to move. At least enough for me to notice it

Edited: 5 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2018 2:25 am
TGW
 TGW
(@admin)
TGW Admin Admin

Thanks for joining us! Moving the reddit comment over here:

1. You should chew harder food. Chewing harder than you need to will end up grinding your teeth into eachother, and be applying more force on the TMJ joint with the muscles than it is being counterbalanced with by the food. In other words, that system is built to apply just enough force to make the teeth come together, hard food or soft. You should not forcefully apply extra. Try raw leafy greens (such as kale) and vegetables for more of a workout, and/or use hard gum like Falim or Masticah

2. Definitely normal. Teeth grind the food smaller, the tongue pushes it up against the palate and helps mix it with the saliva from under the tongue before swallowing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/orthotropics/comments/7pk3i4/im_not_able_to_comment_it_just_appears_a_red_sign/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2018 8:51 am Skull liked
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register