Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

questions about the Hyrax expander

mr.mewing
Estimable Member

I am currently 20 years old and I am thinking about getting a hyrax expander but I have some questions.

1. how much expansion can I expect

2. does the mandible follow with the upper arch or do I need a solution for the mandible after I am done with the hyrax expander?

3. can I expect a gap between the teeth?

4. and how long will it take to reach I high intermolar width (currently about 30 to 32mm)

5. can you speak probably with the device in your mouth.

6. and will the palate drop more down, when the expander does his thing?

Topic starter Posted : 26/12/2020 11:01 am
toomer
Estimable Member

These are all questions that your treating dentist should be able to answer for you, shouldn't they?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/12/2020 12:00 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@toomer no because I haven't been yet to an orthodontic and I am just asking people that used this device in the past or know things about the device.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/12/2020 2:58 pm
Meowxilla
Eminent Member

All i know you can expect 1mm of foward growth or something minimal to maxilla displacment. 

Everything related to maxilla is around 1/3 or 1/2 compared to MSE. Something aroud 40-42% of MSE effectivness.

I read a study few months ago. This is just sumarized comparison between 2 methods.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/12/2020 10:12 pm
toomer
Estimable Member

@meowxilla Do you have a link to the study?  Something saying that other methods can have some degree of effectiveness - even if not as much as MSE - is useful info.  Not all of us need 10mm lateral expansion necessarily, some of us are only deficient by smaller amounts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/12/2020 10:00 am