DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION
This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.
I am currently 20 years old and I am thinking about getting a hyrax expander but I have some questions.
1. how much expansion can I expect
2. does the mandible follow with the upper arch or do I need a solution for the mandible after I am done with the hyrax expander?
3. can I expect a gap between the teeth?
4. and how long will it take to reach I high intermolar width (currently about 30 to 32mm)
5. can you speak probably with the device in your mouth.
6. and will the palate drop more down, when the expander does his thing?
These are all questions that your treating dentist should be able to answer for you, shouldn't they?
All i know you can expect 1mm of foward growth or something minimal to maxilla displacment.
Everything related to maxilla is around 1/3 or 1/2 compared to MSE. Something aroud 40-42% of MSE effectivness.
I read a study few months ago. This is just sumarized comparison between 2 methods.
@meowxilla Do you have a link to the study? Something saying that other methods can have some degree of effectiveness - even if not as much as MSE - is useful info. Not all of us need 10mm lateral expansion necessarily, some of us are only deficient by smaller amounts.