fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Question About Being Tongue tied

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
50+ Forum Posts

I am pretty confident I am not tongue tied. Although, in most photos I've seen about tongue tie surgery , people can seem to open their mouth wide with their tip of the tongue touching the spot after surgery. When I try to get the tongue against the roof of the mouth I can barely open my mouth. If I sort of force the mouth it wide open , I can touch the palate with my tongue, but the mouth struggles to keep open.

Or does this mean I have good resting muscle tone?

Topic starter Posted : 16/05/2018 3:34 am
Allixa
(@allixa)
200+ Forum Posts

Check this video out and do the measurement that they talk about 4 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApMCMP2aOSU

What's your result?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 3:37 am
Matt liked
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
50+ Forum Posts

I need to buy a measuring tool first haha.

What measuring device do you recommend? 

Thanks 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/05/2018 3:39 am
Allixa
(@allixa)
200+ Forum Posts
Posted by: Matt

I need to buy a measuring tool first haha.

What measuring device do you recommend? 

Thanks 

Anything will work. A ruler, or even a piece of string, or a shoelace. Just get a measurement of how far your mouth can open by itself, then measure how far it can open when your tongue is on the spot, and make sure that the second measurement is decently similar to the first one (like not close to half or less).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2018 3:48 am
Matt liked
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
50+ Forum Posts

I must have a tongue tie. I measured between my incisors and it's 20mm to the nearest whole. When I measure with my tip of my tongue on the spot. It's around 8.5mm. So about 40% of 20mm. It's strange because I never seemed to have symptoms of a tongue tie. I can stretch my tongue out my mouth quite abit which tongue tiers struggle to do.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/05/2018 10:05 pm
Allixa
(@allixa)
200+ Forum Posts

I don't doubt that your second measurement is 40% of the first, but I have to ask if 20mm is the correct value? That's a very small measurement for an open mouth. It would be impossible to even eat certain kinds of food through an opening that small. Do you mean 2 inches?

Also about tongue ties in general, just because you have one (if you do) it doesn't mean you have to do something about it. I've seen plenty of people with tongue ties that have good face development. Is yours bothering you? If you could take a photo of your tongue trying to reach upwards it would help me understand much better what is going on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 1:50 am
Matt liked
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
50+ Forum Posts

I have two large front incisors which might be the reason why the measurements between the incisors is small. But do you have an email or can I direct message you from anywhere so I can send you some photos? Thanks mate for the help.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/05/2018 3:49 am
Allixa
(@allixa)
200+ Forum Posts

This forum has PM's - if you scroll up to the top and look at the big grey bar there's a button that says "Personal Messages" that you can use if you want.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 12:27 pm

THE GREAT WORK