Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Query on fixed retainers and mewing  

RSS

Hi, so recently I have made an appointment to have fixed retainers put in, according to some people mewing is still possible with fixed retainers but it is difficult, but I don't know that its possible with my setup. If I have 4 fixed on my upper teeth and 6 fixed on my lower is mewing still possible?

And also another unrelated question, will fixed retainers give me a lisp?

Posted : 29/09/2019 7:19 am
scumbagstatus

I would go ahead and get the fixed retainers on your incisors. If you opt-out of getting any type of retainers your teeth will more than likely relapse eventually. Once you have a good foundation you can make the decision to have them removed. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2019 5:01 pm
HappyPanda27

I had the same exact question actually. I am thinking of getting bonded/fixed retainers behind just my front 4 and bottom teeth soon, to prevent possible relapse but also get the most results out of mewing in terms of widening the palate, but I hear that even a fixed retainer can prevent mewing results also? I'm just having a hard time making a decision on this as I don't know if there are any clear ways of knowing whether relapse will have with not having any form of retention at all. I hear some saying that their teeth did not crowd again after just mewing and not wearing a retainer, but I just don't know what's the right move here after talking to multiple orthodontists in person, forums, Reddit, I just need to know this answer from someone who can explain it thoroughly and give valid reasoning and not just maybes. Just a definitive answer on something this important would be nice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2019 3:14 am

@scumbagstatus

Ok thanks for the suggestion, that would probably be the safest way forward. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2019 7:20 pm

@happypanda27

Yeah I agree, even Mike Mew made 2 videos addressing retainers and mewing. Instead of clarifying what action should be taken he managed to confuse me more, stating in the first video that you should wear fixed retainers if you want to mew with less chance of relapse. However, in the second video he said that retainers shouldn't be worn at all and the problems surrounding fixed retainers. No one seems to have come up with a solid answer, for now it looks like I'm going with the majority, wear fixed retainers and mew and after a few months (if I'm ready) have them removed completely and rely on mewing alone. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2019 7:25 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Please Login or Register