Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Proper swallow

Chipper23

Is it possible not to swallow correctly but still not use any  facial movements.  I notice sometimes when I’m not paying attention to my swallowing I kind of suck on the front of the palate but not the back.  The back of the tongue comes down. 

Is is there anyway to tell if your swallowing incorrectly? Whenever I swallow I have no facial movements but I’m not swallowing with any force as mew taught us.  Can I tell from lack of facial movements that I must be swallowing correctly?

Topic starter Posted : 23/04/2018 5:42 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

The mechanism of the swallow is delicate and easy to sabotage even without facial activation. Try to separate the throaty "gulp" action of the swallow from the wave-like motion with which the posterior tongue rises to soft palate & seals the food into the throat. First rise, then gulp. If it's noisy, it's not good. Smaller sips are easier to swallow properly..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2018 6:49 pm
Freddie
Eminent Member

So if I make « gulp » everytime I swallow its not a good swallow ? (I dont think I use any facial muscles) 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 4:05 am
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

@progress @freddie

I agree that the tongue should rise to the upper palate before engaging the gulp action, but I'm not sure about the swallow not being noisy. Dr. Mew actually has a really loud swallow, and at 3:10 this speech therapist actually encourages making a sound when you swallow.  https://youtu.be/WvV-XXggx3g  

I am still trying to figure out the perfect swallow. I'm very happy with how strong my swallowing muscles have become. I like the fact that I'm engaging more of the muscles around my hyoid bone, but I am definitely swallowing more air that I use to or maybe it's the same amount, I don't know. It is the worst when I am drinking water. I will try and practice using smaller sips. I probably drink too much and too fast most of the time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 9:08 am