Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Posture Release Imagery, Alexander Technique vs. Gokhale Method  

RSS
xDJ
 xDJ

"The Alexander Technique is a way to feel better, and move in a more relaxed and comfortable way... the way nature intended. ...helps you to identify and lose the harmful habits you have built up over a lifetime of stress and learn to move more freely."

*Learn Alexander Technique: https://www.alexandertechnique.com/?skipmobile=1

"The Gokhale Method, like many other movement practices, talks about properly stacking our bones for good alignment, but in reality, our bones do not stack upon each other at all. Our bodies actually function as a suspension system. This means that our muscles control the alignment of our bones, and when our muscles are released into length, we function and balance more optimally."

*Read more here: https://www.google.com/amp/www.redefiningposture.com/alexander-technique-blog/2015/6/15/gokhale-method-vs-alexander-technique%3fformat=amp

"John Appleton is an Alexander Technique teacher and the developer of Posture Release Imagery. He puts forward some fascinating new self-help ideas based on imagery, which is sometimes a taboo subject in the Alexander Technique teaching world. They require some patience to understand at first, but many have found his ideas to be very helpful."

*Imagery PDF files: https://www.alexandertechnique.com/ats/posturereleaseimagery/

Posted : 25/02/2019 3:40 am
Ayla31 and darkindigo liked
darkindigo
Reputable Member

If the airway is smaller, it can effect head posture/body alignment...  exacerbate scoliosis.  Exercise can help grow airway from inside out.  Posture while eating ia super key!  Yes - muscles effect bone.  That is why lip bumper appliance causes teeth to spread.  It's why naturally we all look awesome.  Most top models never had ortho.  Our teeth migrate to less pressure.  Ex. During growth... if lip skin is floppy... teeth will grow that way.  Equalibrium between tongue and facial muscles... teeth are the pawns.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2019 7:28 am
xDJ
 xDJ

Oh..?

While I agree with a few of those statements, I couldn't grasp the general idea(s) in your message. I'm having difficulty relating them to the post.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2019 8:04 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: xDJ

Oh..?

While I agree with a few of those statements, I couldn't grasp the general idea(s) in your message. I'm having difficulty relating them to the post.

Oh... just seconding that tissue/muscles control bones.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2019 3:21 pm
xDJ liked
Ayla31
Trusted Member

@xDJ, I tried Posture Release Imagery years ago and it did help sometimes, but it was difficult to determine if I was on the right track (even with John Appleton's kind assistance).

I also tried the Alexander technique and it helped, but because of money I couldn't continue.

I ended up with Body Mapping which is one of the most important things I have found in my life in regards to body awareness and embodiment...and when done right leads to movement full of balance and free of tension. It was also developed by Alexander technique teachers aprox. 30 years ago:

more info: http://bodymap.org/main/

It works for me more, because it is backed up by neuroscience and one needs only find accurate anatomical information and discipline, patience and you can do it on your own at your own pace. It can also be used complementary to the methods you mention. So, if your self-image/body map is good and accurate, you will have more success in finding balance/alignment. You will also find it easier to correct the tongue's position, for example. But the process it's not easy if the person is not very in touch with their body (which is my case, yay). But like Mewing I find it very worth it.

In my opinion and experience, it was also more straining to imagine different sensations like fluffiness or heaviness for different parts of my body (Appleton) or just being lead by an Alexander technique teacher without knowing what's really happening. But there are surely people who find that better or are more kinesthetically imaginative than I am.

I have no experience with Gockhale Method, so I cannot say a lot there, but I do appreciate very much the fact she teaches such an important topic. The same goes for John and for the Alexander technique.

So whatever method one chooses, it's important to have good body awareness, and that includes awareness of tension and freedom/balance.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2019 3:25 pm
darkindigo and xDJ liked