Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Posterior Open Bite - (No Molar Contact)  

RSS
myofunction

I have had orthodontic treatment when I was 16, which included bonded palatal expansion and braces. I am now struggling because of it. As a result of having a piece of acrylic between my molars for about eight months, my teeth and bones have shifted I can no longer touch my molars together to chew food, without mashing my jaw back as far as possible to compensate for bite height. I had thought this was normal after my treatment was over, and after a few months I started developing TMD symptoms. Chewing with a completely relaxed and neutral position for me means to chew with my incisors almost tip-to-tip, meaning my molars can never make contact when I do so. I have been chewing much harder foods without taking the usual caution in this position, and my TMD symptoms have somehow completely subsided.

I am worried that my posterior open bite is an obstacle to my progress, as it probably enlarges the gonial angle? How can I correct my bite height? Must I get braces again, with posterior intra-oral elastics? Face-mask + protraction to rotate the maxilla? Will mewing correct it over time?

Posted : 21/06/2019 11:28 pm
myofunction

Bump, wondering if anybody can testify about the myobrace correcting posterior open bite? I hear complaints using about the myobrace with people with anterior overbite as it enlarges the space between the incisors over time. Theoretically, could this be beneficial for my case?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2019 3:05 pm
Tom B

I'm not an orthodontist, but I wouldn't think that the myobrace would help with an open bite, because it is again something that is sitting between the teeth. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2019 2:10 am
myofunction

Well, it only seems logical since spacing the teeth using bite planes to erupt teeth and restore bite height is a common orthodontic practice. I will see if anything changes with the myobrace.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/06/2019 10:10 am
Tom B

I just saw somebody mention on a private facebook TMD group that her open bite closed on the second stage of myobrace, so there's some encouragement for you. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2019 3:29 am