Forum

NOTICE:

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

PLEASE HELP! I HAVE AN OVERJET.  

RSS
king1999
(@king1999)

So I have a couple questions if someone could answer please.

I have an overjet, and when I mew I bring my lower jaw/lip forward a little and dont touch my teeth at all. I am so used to bringing my lower lip/jaw forward that its my natural position now. So the question is is this fine? I mew without touching teeth together. I mew by doing the 'n' sound and trying to hold the back of the tongue up as much as I can.

I am also getting braces to fix my upper teach soon and the doctor says my LOWER JAW is too far back compared to the upper jaw, so If I want the teeth to align I would also need a lower jaw surgery along with getting braces. I do not want that lower jaw surgery, only getting braces to fix my overjet. So my question is, with mewing and holding tongue up, can my lower jaw come forward? 

I am actually scared that mewing could ruin my face even more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2018 8:04 pm
Couda
(@couda)
Eminent Member

Do you have space between the upper fron teeth? If so, overjet can be improved with braces. 

Otherwise, you need to get an paletal expander + braces if your overjet is much.

You dont need any lower jaw surgery, chew tough gum and mew and then things will sort itself out.

Dont bring your lower jaw forward, youve got that wrong, it doesnt make your face look better, only makes your bottom and top front teeth align.

Make sure that your jaw is in the position so that all your upper molars are touching the bottom molars like a puzzle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2018 4:28 am Victoria liked
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member

Any ortho who says the lower jaw is too far back doesn't understand the skull whatsoever. Don't go to this doctor who says such quackery. I bet the doc thinks your maxilla is "too far forward" and will probably use elastics to close your bite more. Stay away. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2018 8:04 pm darkindigo liked
king1999
(@king1999)
Posted by: Couda

Do you have space between the upper fron teeth? If so, overjet can be improved with braces. 

Otherwise, you need to get an paletal expander + braces if your overjet is much.

You dont need any lower jaw surgery, chew tough gum and mew and then things will sort itself out.

Dont bring your lower jaw forward, youve got that wrong, it doesnt make your face look better, only makes your bottom and top front teeth align.

Make sure that your jaw is in the position so that all your upper molars are touching the bottom molars like a puzzle.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have very small space between my upper teeth but the braces should fix that. And thanks, I will also add chewing tough gum along with mewing!

Also I meant I bring my lower lip a little forward not my lower jaw, my lower jaw stays in the position its in, or maybe moves a tiny bit when I bring my lip forward. But yeah, ill try avoiding this and keep it as it is.

Also I when I mew I cant really touch my upper molars with lower molars, dont think it actually touches like a puzzle. So is it okay to still mew without touching the teeth together? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2018 3:18 pm
king1999
(@king1999)
Posted by: EddieMoney

Any ortho who says the lower jaw is too far back doesn't understand the skull whatsoever. Don't go to this doctor who says such quackery. I bet the doc thinks your maxilla is "too far forward" and will probably use elastics to close your bite more. Stay away. 

Yes I am actually getting elastics soon and braces soon. I had an appointment last week with my ortho and I asked if the braces could push my maxilla back or change my face structure a little coz i certainly dont want that. She said NO it just pushes the teeth back and has no effect on the maxilla. So am happy about that. 

I am so glad I found out about mewing and that theres hope of bringing my lower jaw forward without having to do any surgeries. I guess ill continue mewing even when I have braces on, so the braces will fix the overjet, the mewing will fix the structure and bring the mandible forward.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2018 3:23 pm
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator
Posted by: king1999

Yes I am actually getting elastics soon and braces soon. I had an appointment last week with my ortho and I asked if the braces could push my maxilla back or change my face structure a little coz i certainly dont want that. She said NO it just pushes the teeth back and has no effect on the maxilla. So am happy about that. 

I am so glad I found out about mewing and that theres hope of bringing my lower jaw forward without having to do any surgeries. I guess ill continue mewing even when I have braces on, so the braces will fix the overjet, the mewing will fix the structure and bring the mandible forward.

Thanks

Pulling the upper teeth backward in your situation will mean that your jaw will have less room for forward movement. Contrary to what your ortho says, unwanted maxillary changes are possible during the process. If I were in your position, I would first mew 6-12 months and then opt for braces, if there was still need.  It would be unwise to use braces to fix something that could largely be fixed by proper tongue posture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2018 3:51 pm EddieMoney liked
king1999
(@king1999)
Posted by: Progress

Thanks

Pulling the upper teeth backward in your situation will mean that your jaw will have less room for forward movement. Contrary to what your ortho says, unwanted maxillary changes are possible during the process. If I were in your position, I would first mew 6-12 months and then opt for braces, if there was still need.  It would be unwise to use braces to fix something that could largely be fixed by proper tongue posture.

I am thinking about doing this, also I am getting my upper molars extracted. How would mewing affect this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/11/2018 4:26 pm
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator

Thanks

I am thinking about doing this, also I am getting my upper molars extracted. How would mewing affect this?

Unless your molars are infected, pulling them out will have zero benefits. Instead of pulling out teeth that don't fit, it's better to expand the palate until they do. Mewing and/or palate expander will achieve this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/11/2018 4:38 pm EddieMoney liked
king1999
(@king1999)

Thanks

Unless your molars are infected, pulling them out will have zero benefits. Instead of pulling out teeth that don't fit, it's better to expand the palate until they do. Mewing and/or palate expander will achieve this.

Yes, I actually agreed to getting them extracted until I done some research today about the impact of teeth extractions on face, now I do not want them extracted. Ill have to ask my ortho if theres other options available that doesnt require tooth extractions. I have a 12mm overjet which is very severe so I dont know what to do now. I am hoping mewing can fix something here. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/11/2018 5:16 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member

Thanks

Yes, I actually agreed to getting them extracted until I done some research today about the impact of teeth extractions on face, now I do not want them extracted. Ill have to ask my ortho if theres other options available that doesnt require tooth extractions. I have a 12mm overjet which is very severe so I dont know what to do now. I am hoping mewing can fix something here. 

Extracted teeth = narrow palate 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/11/2018 10:26 pm
king1999
(@king1999)

Thanks

Extracted teeth = narrow palate 

Yeah I heard some stories about people regretting getting extractions. I will have to go and check with another ortho where extractions are not needed if possible.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/11/2018 10:31 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member

Find an ortho that uses appliances for expansion as opposed to one that pulls teeth. An overjet many times is caused by crowding due to lessened space for teeth. So expansion many times reduces overjet because the teeth all begin to fit better. And you won't look worse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/11/2018 8:09 am
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Trusted Member

Yeah - you're supposed to have a little overjet.  That is desirable.  I read 3-5 mm - somewhere in there.  I tried to close mine... just moved my bite and teeth... got TMJ... hated the loss of arc in side-view of face.  I tried to move it back... I've probably got to get braces now.  It was not a good idea for me to clench down (even though I only did a little and once) for my teeth to feel their way back to the old position.  Better to just leave a little overjet from the start.  This image is not about overjet, though when you start trying to adjust bites, you want to make sure you know where you're headed. Ths is class 1 dentition: 

Overjet amount recommended: 2-4 mm according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overjet

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 3 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/11/2018 2:47 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register