Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Phenotype and facial development  

RSS
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Take a look at these skull forms. Very subtle differences, but few things to note.

African face: Short and narrow. Midface short. Wide interpupillary distance. Vertically short maxilla. Square palate (wide intercanine width). Teeth large.

European face: Moderately long and narrow. Midface short (in this skull). Medium to wide interpupillary distance. Midface short. Vertically short maxilla. Parabolic maxilla (intercanine distance narrow, with shape similar to an arch). Teeth small.

Asian face: Wide and long. Can sometimes appear either square or circular. Midface long. Vertically long maxilla. Ovoid palate with less defined edges. Incisors shovel shaped. Teeth medium to large.

Share thoughts and observations

Posted : 15/07/2019 11:33 pm
Limbo6

Yes definetly there are differences. I have noticed aryans tend to have shorter more upswing maxillas than other european whites. (not always of course)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2019 3:32 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Differences among females

Mandible size (largest to smallest): European (largest) - African - Asian (smallest)

Skull height (largest to smallest): European (largest) - Asian - African (smallest)

Face size (largest to smallest): African (largest) - Asian - European (smallest)

Pogonion size (chin): European (largest) - African - Asian (smallest)

Forehead size: Asian (largest) - European - African (smallest)

Differences in Male development:

Mandible size: Asian (largest) - European - African (smallest) (to be fair, this particular European male skull has very soft features and may even be smaller)

Pogonion size (chin projection): European (largest) - Asian - African (smallest)

Skull height: European/Asian(largest) - African (smallest) (this one seems a tie with European and Asian males)

Forehead size: European (largest) - African - Asian (smallest)

Face size: Asian (largest) - African - European (smallest)

Same for both sexes:

Nose bridge development: European (largest) - African - Asian (smallest)

By "face size" I mean eyes/nose/mouth and how much space they take up in the face itself. Even though Africans have shorter midface ratios, it seems Europeans have their face taking up less area in the skull when both sexes are taken into account. African interpupillary distance gives them a shorter midface ratio overall due to eye spacing. And since the African skull is narrower, this causes the face to take up a larger portion of the skull itself.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2019 8:35 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

African v European male differences:

?w=1200

African has short midface and shorter overall face, with a shorter mandible. European has slightly longer midface and longer overall face due to a taller mandible. This elongates the European male philtrum. This means the extra bony growth of the European male makes the face a smaller portion of the overall skull. The taller skull of the European decreases neoteny.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2019 10:57 am
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

All of the skulls shown have a massive overjet

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2019 11:00 am
Odys liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: TGW

All of the skulls shown have a massive overjet

I don't see anything atypical

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2019 1:21 pm
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

Any theories on why the differences in the development of the skulls are there? I don't know how old the skulls are, but I believe if you go far enough back, there really aren't that big of a difference in diet between these races? In any case, do we know what these differences in diet are and how they could help explain the differences in craniofacial development?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2019 4:26 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: Pame

Any theories on why the differences in the development of the skulls are there? I don't know how old the skulls are, but I believe if you go far enough back, there really aren't that big of a difference in diet between these races? In any case, do we know what these differences in diet are and how they could help explain the differences in craniofacial development?

Hormone theory: Variances in testosterone and estrogen levels can masculinize certain features and feminize others. But I haven't studied human hormones enough to explain the differences. I do know that hormone balance does play a role in this however. 

Climate theory: Tropical, Temperate, and Steppe climates affected the development of the face. As in the warm tropical air of Africa allowed the skull to not grow downwards as opposed to the Asian skull. The Asian maxilla is long and flat as it needs to warm the air vertically before it can enter the lungs. The European being an Oceanic/Subtropical adapted skull falls somewhere in the middle here.

Limb proportions in phenotypes seem to corroborate the climate theory. Africans have longer limb to torso ratios and Asians have short limb to torso ratios with Europeans being somewhere in the middle. Mediterranean ancestral peoples have more African proportions and many Northern Europeans and Eastern Europeans would have shorter limbs and longer torsos due to the colder and drier climate possibly.

Facial development may be tied to hormones and climate. I will also add that of course these are just three skulls and that they don't universally apply to all peoples of these continents. In my opinion the European male skull is a bit too soft in its facial development as it lacks the bony protrusiveness of the brow bone and a much larger mandible. It was probably modeled after a type of European skull similar to Southern European skulls. Northern European skulls I find are more robust. The European female skull seems on point, though.  She has the large Rocker jaw and the tall narrow face with a good amount of jaw projection. But for example why do European women have a mandible shape more similar to Polynesians than they do to European men? Diet obviously can't be the explanation here. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2019 11:29 am