Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Over 1 year in, and I have ONCE AGAIN realized my posterior tongue was NOT deep enough.  

RSS
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

This is an encouragement post.

Seems like every few months I realize that the tongue position I was holding for the last few months was NOT deep enough.  I am starting off from a much less recessed position than many of you, but I'm realizing that saying "ng" does not make your tongue hit the soft palate, at least for me.

I drew a horizontal line from right molar to my left molar with my tongue and realized that this whole line is still hard palate.  To get my tongue to truly make contact with the soft palate, I need to do essentially what feels like hard mewing, meaning it requires a lot of effort and (temporary) strain.  Over time this should get easier as my muscles strengthen.

Having fixed this, I can finally truly make my double chin disappear and my jawline instantly becomes WAY more defined.  I also now feel an occasional, dull pressure in my cheekbones, as well as a faint feeling of my nasal passages opening up.  Very interesting.

TLDR; make sure your tongue is actually making contact with the soft palate! It should probably be pretty hard at first!

Posted : 27/08/2019 6:58 pm
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

Having fixed this, I can finally truly make my double chin disappear and my jawline instantly becomes WAY more defined.

Let me get this straight, when you truly hit the soft palate with your tongue, your hyoid goes up and your double chin disappears. I always suspected this should happen.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 5:40 am
printfactory
Eminent Member

Same for me I think, The "ng" sound only barely raises my hyoid and I can definitely push the tongue and hyoid up further, but it takes a lot of effort and I can´t hold that position longer than a few seconds.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 6:36 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

Any cues or tips you can share that helped you realize what muscles to activate to get the hyoid fully up? I suspect that I also don't have enough of my posterior tongue up there. Is the back of your tongue not fully up even if you do a maximum chin tuck?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 7:43 am
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

@GreekGodBrody yep, or at least that's how it is for me.

@printfactory it's definitely difficult for me right now, but I'm willing to bet that by this time next week it'll feel a lot more natural as the muscles strengthen.

@Pame I'm still building mind/body awareness for the muscles required to pull this off so I'm not sure.  What you can do is run the tip of your tongue against your palate and feel where the hard palate is, then go further back and feel where the soft palate is.  Feel what it's like to push against the soft palate with the tip of your tongue.  Then try to duplicate that feeling with the posterior tongue.  For me, it feels like I'm gagging a bit when I do it properly.

A chin tuck alone doesn't get it far back enough for me.  There's more effort required beyond just the chin tuck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 12:19 pm
qwerty135 liked
Roflcopters
Trusted Member
Posted by: @drunkwithcoffee

@GreekGodBrody yep, or at least that's how it is for me.

@printfactory it's definitely difficult for me right now, but I'm willing to bet that by this time next week it'll feel a lot more natural as the muscles strengthen.

@Pame I'm still building mind/body awareness for the muscles required to pull this off so I'm not sure.  What you can do is run the tip of your tongue against your palate and feel where the hard palate is, then go further back and feel where the soft palate is.  Feel what it's like to push against the soft palate with the tip of your tongue.  Then try to duplicate that feeling with the posterior tongue.  For me, it feels like I'm gagging a bit when I do it properly.

A chin tuck alone doesn't get it far back enough for me.  There's more effort required beyond just the chin tuck.

If a chin tuck isnt enough stop doing it. Or just hit the mid palate in a way that feels comfortable.

Underoxygenation is a real thing and if a stretched out spine chin tucking isnt enough to get the tongue up on the soft palate you should seek medical treatment in case you need more expansion.

You may be risking overstretching your cervical spine and hypertrophying certain inner muscles that unnaturally and uncomfortably allow you to reach the back palate with the tongue. Not to mention the TMJ. Mewing shouldnt be done like this in my opinion. Ud rather facepull.

Maybe itll work for you but forcing it didnt for me. Even tho ive seen results from mewing my assymetries got worse. Especially the eyes. 

If you feel like your vision os being affected doing those Extreme chin tucks its because it is, and thats not healthy.

Im just tryna bring awreness here.

But if youre already well enough developed it might work

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 12:49 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

@Roflcopters I appreciate the warning.  My suspicion is that the effort required for me is just due to underdeveloped muscles.  I'm going to keep exploring this path for a bit but will stop if anything starts to feel unnatural.

Also, yeah, I think I'm relatively less recessed compared to most on here.  I've tried and there's no way I can put my tongue in any position that even begins to restrict my oxygen intake.  So I consider myself lucky in this regard.

EDIT: Read your comment again and I think I understand more clearly what you're getting at.  I'm not increasing the intensity of my chin tuck in any way.  All I'm doing is working the tongue a bit harder to get it a bit further back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 2:32 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

sup guys.

yeah, this is the key. if you have a typical level of recession you will likely notice that when you do this properly it will cut of your nasal airway

clasp your hyoid bone w/ your finger and thumb and feel how it moves when you swallow or yawn. you need to develop a mind-muscle connection so you can move it independently.

if you want to increase the strength of tongue root you can do exercises

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/an-effective-exercise-to-strengthen-the-root-of-the-tongue/

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/high-speed-jaw-opening-exercise-in-training-suprahyoid-fast-twitch-muscle-fibers/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 7:16 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member

@krollic what's funny is that I've commented in the threads you've linked (which are awesome by the way), and yet, I still haven't had it right this whole time.  Definitely takes some serious work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 8:21 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

my advice would be to stand infront of a mirror, clasp the hyoid and really try to visualize/feel the sensations of it raising and lowering (in particular when it reaches its apex, such as when you swallow). you can make it stronger but it's important to know how to actually control it. i'm more and more convinced of this as I progress. I like to push up w/ the back as hard as I can for several hours a day for the sake of strength, control and hard mewing. I think hard mewing with the root is important for expansion but it's also important for making soft/passive mewing easier via making the tongue stronger

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 8:56 pm
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member
Posted by: @krollic

clasp your hyoid bone w/ your finger and thumb and feel how it moves when you swallow or yawn

When I try to swallow, my hyoid goes up at the beginning of the swallow for a brief time, but after that it actually goes down and forward asI continue and finish my swallow 🙁 🙁 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2019 3:22 am
krollic
Reputable Member

yeah don't worry too much about the specifics. I was merely using it as demonstration to help people identity the muscle groups responsible so you can isolate them and move the hyoid independently with time and practice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2019 4:01 am
krollic
Reputable Member

No, I don't think so anymore. I think it's just a useful exercise for building tongue strength. (Strong chin tuck + swallow/manually raising the apex for a while) You can't actually breathe at all when the hyoid is raised due to the epiglottis cutting off your nasal airway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2020 1:06 pm