Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Open Mouth Chewing?!  

RSS
Amber12

So I found this post on BTM

http://breakthematrix.createaforum.com/therapies/chewing-with-your-mouth-open/

After a month of chewing with my mouth open on mastic gum, I can safely say that my face has never looked better. I had tried mewing, face-pulling, and regular chewing for about 5 months but with few noticeable results. But open mouth chewing (OMC) has already moved my maxilla forward quite a bit, almost got rid my my baggy dark circles under my eyes, a more forward grown lower jaw and chin that has become more horizontal, more chin height, better zygos, and has widened my jaw. OMC with mastic gum, i think, causes you to chew harder and pushes the maxilla up and forward. I would recommend not breathing through your mouth while chewing though as to not reinstall bad habits. And to remember to chew equally on both sides.

I think this all stems back to our ancestors who probably ate wit their mouths open on tough foods and who had amazing bone structures. It wasn't till manners came along and told people to eat with their mouths closed and on soft food that faces really started to decay.

Keep in mind that I'm taking calcium,magnesium,D3,K2,melatonin,niacin,zinc, and Mk-677(Nutrobal) so you might achieve different results than I did. 

I've been chewing most of the day and thought I might as well try it. WOW! Moving my jaw through more of its range of motion while chewing, to where I'm opening my lips 2-3cm while chewing, had a WAAY bigger feeling radiating up my maxilla, into my cheekbones, and under my eyes. I was able to chew for about an hour before my masseter got sore, but using this technique I have to stop after 30 seconds because my maxilla feels sore

Progress replied to the thread on BTM as well, and it makes sense that most chewing would be done with the mouth closed like he/she says. But I just remembered seeing videos of wide-jawed/palate people in tribal societies eating and was 100% sure I remember that their lips would often be parted while they ate. I googled it and all of the videos I can find on people with ideal development eating traditional diets (Think weston price) pull their mouths wide open at least half the bites when they chew!

https://youtu.be/TrIkpVEyA_M?t=987

The first bite for these kids isn't a nibble, they open wide:  https://youtu.be/ra4WmE-joMQ?t=168

I'm having trouble finding examples of indigenous people eating traditional meals, but as far as my memory serves I do remember open mouth eating a lot of the time

Seriously, in like 15 seconds of chewing with the front teeth with mastic gum I feel the entirety of my face taking that pressure. Right under the orbital rims of my eyes especially. It feels like a full days worth of mewing in a few minutes

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I'm taking tomorrow off from chewing, and will continue doing it one day one and on off this way for a while and let you guys know results.

TGW any progress on the PM system I would have preferred to message you or Progress directly to prevent spreading possibly bad info

Posted : 08/12/2017 5:57 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

Yeah I remember that thread. What are you doing in addition to parting lips and increasing mandibular range of motion during chewing? You also mention that you chewed with your front teeth. Do you usually not?

Posted by: Amber12

TGW any progress on the PM system I would have preferred to message you or Progress directly to prevent spreading possibly bad info

Feel free to share any concepts or theories you come up with. That's what we are here for. It's the reader's responsibility to evaluate the legitimacy of anything they read.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2017 4:27 pm
Allixa
Estimable Member

After reading that very same thread you linked to a few months ago I started doing more open mouth chewing and the results have been good. There's a certain sensation and a certain balance that gets hit when you do this that just doesn't happen during closed mouth chewing. You feel it all over your whole face instead of just in your jaw and mouth muscles.

I'm not sure if it is because of the new chewing technique, but I have developed hollow cheeks in the past few months. 

Also, I noticed that closed mouth chewing pumps my masseters too much which leads to a bloated look and makes my jaw hang open slightly after a gum chewing session. On the other hand open mouth chewing keeps my face looking balanced and normal, and allows my jaw to snap shut on its own after a chewing session. For this reason I have completely stopped closed mouth chewing any type of gum. When it comes to real food I do whatever my instincts say to do which is usually a mixture of both.

Here are some other sites/links where people talk about this issue. The first link has some NSFWish images.

https://lookism.net/Thread-Red-Pill-Mew-is-wrong-about-tongue-masseter-Masseter-is-probably-more-important

http://sluthate.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82485

https://imgur.com/a/ITyDI

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2017 8:47 pm
Apollo liked
Progress
Member Moderator

Do you normally have to make muscular effort to keep your lips together at rest? My lips are equally relaxed whether they're kept apart or together. There's no difference in facial muscle activation in either case. I have to experiment with this once again in the coming days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/12/2017 12:22 pm
Whistler liked
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

TGW any progress on the PM system

Late December/Early January! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2017 6:41 pm
Allixa
Estimable Member
Posted by: Progress

Do you normally have to make muscular effort to keep your lips together at rest? My lips are equally relaxed whether they're kept apart or together. There's no difference in facial muscle activation in either case. I have to experiment with this once again in the coming days.

I actually have to exert muscular effort in order to keep my lips apart. It's very uncomfortable for me to have them separated. They stay together by default even if my jaw is open. On the other hand, I do have to exert muscular effort in order to keep my teeth together. If I completely relax all of my facial muscles my jaw will hang open slightly but my lips will stay together. I believe this is due to the jawbone being set too far back, because if I push my jaw forward it swings up naturally with no effort.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2017 9:17 pm
Whistler liked
Felix

I'm very much a lurker, but I felt extremely compelled to make an account just to share my thoughts on this. I've been closed mouth chewing for about a year. As for results, they've been somewhat satisfactory. My jaw line is much sharper, and my side and front profile looks significantly better now. However, there is a problem. My masseter muscle has developed in such a way that it is slightly wider than the temporalis muscle. You have to look very closely to notice but, but I can say it's an undesirable trait.

Having come upon this thread and trying to open mouth chew, I can say I think I've found the answer to my problem. The sensation of open mouth chewing is completely different to what I've experienced this past year. The experience was exactly as Amber12 described. My lips worked in a way I'd never felt, I could feel the area under my eyes working, as well as my temporalis muscle. I felt like I was engaging my entire face while chewing with my mouth open, while with closed mouth chewing the experience was entirely regulated to the jaw.

For those of you reading this thread, do not bother with closed mouth chewing. the masseter muscle will become wider than the temporalis, creating an unbalanced look. Open mouth chewing feels like the answer I've been looking for, and I'll be taking pics and recording my progress. Thank you for sharing this experience amber.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/12/2017 3:15 pm
Whistler liked
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

I actually have to exert muscular effort in order to keep my lips apart. It's very uncomfortable for me to have them separated. They stay together by default even if my jaw is open. On the other hand, I do have to exert muscular effort in order to keep my teeth together. If I completely relax all of my facial muscles my jaw will hang open slightly but my lips will stay together. I believe this is due to the jawbone being set too far back, because if I push my jaw forward it swings up naturally with no effort.

I can attest to this as well, especially the part in bold.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/12/2017 3:41 am
Angelina

I've never heard about open mouth chewing.. I wonder what Dr.Mike thinks about it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/12/2017 9:26 am
Morphy

I'm chiming in to say that I think there is merit to this open-mouthed chewing theory. I've been a closed-mouth chewer my whole life, but I've been doing mewing+gum chewing recently and I have experimented with some open-mouth chewing, and I have found that it develops the maxilla area MUCH more effectively than closed-mouth. I can feel the difference in which parts of the face are being worked, and the difference is significant. Right now I would guess that open-mouthed chewing is something like 10x better at developing the maxilla than closed-mouth. I plan to continue experimenting with this because I think it's promising.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/12/2017 12:46 pm
Angelina liked
Morphy

I'll also add that I think it's really about muscle activation, not necessarily open or closed chewing. You could chew with your mouth open but not put much effort into it, and the result isn't so good. But with open-mouthed chewing I find it's easier to get full activation of all the necessary muscles in the face, whereas with closed-mouth it's harder to get the same level of activation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/12/2017 1:05 pm
Whistler and Angelina liked
Felix
Posted by: Morphy

I'll also add that I think it's really about muscle activation, not necessarily open or closed chewing. You could chew with your mouth open but not put much effort into it, and the result isn't so good. But with open-mouthed chewing I find it's easier to get full activation of all the necessary muscles in the face, whereas with closed-mouth it's harder to get the same level of activation.

Well, it really is about open chewing because some muscles are not going to be activated with closed mouth chewing no matter how tough the gum is. As someone who did closed chewing for a year and now started open mouth chewing, I'm working muscles I've never worked before. It's all about the range of motion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/12/2017 10:10 pm
Angelina liked
Jas
 Jas

Ive taken on your advice. Ordered a pack of mastic gum. I’m gonna use both open and closed mouth chewing. Gonna do it everyday 1-2 hours or till it burns. Goals are to rid my rid my dark eye circles and widen jaw. 

Thanks guys.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2018 9:34 pm
AloeVera liked
Matt
 Matt
Eminent Member

I stopped chewing with my lips closed a while back. I found out I could only close my lips using my mentolabial muscle. , making my chin look recessive. Now I keep my lips naturally parted, I am seeing some good forward growth.

Although, my question is where can I buy mastic gum from in the UK? Or anything similar? Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2018 6:21 pm
hjkl
 hjkl

@matt

Either Amazon or Ebay 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2018 7:51 pm
dag
 dag

wont open mouth chewing cause your teeth out of place?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2018 12:37 am
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

OMCing is legit and I'm doing it 100% now. My duck face is gone - I suspect because you don't activate the muscles above the upper lip as with CMC. Nasal labial folds are slightly diminished.

I think if you do it right, it doesn't look bad, better than CMCing even. And it's easier! I did this at a party tonight, no stares or complaints and didn't feel self conscious at all.

What really excites me about this practice is discovering my husband is an OMC-er and has been his entire life. Didn't notice because it doesn't stand out like one would expect. My theory is because he was breastfed for 18 months, unusually long for the time, his maxilla had a chance to properly develop and he then moved on to chew (and breathe, stand etc) in the optimal way. His maxilla is wide and he's got all the benefits that go along with that: no doubt this practice helps there, though other things contribute eg: placement of the tongue. My daughter is 2, she's an OMC-er too and I'm going to teach her to keep doing it.

I watched how he did OMC and confirmed his technique: start to chew with molars on one or the other side, food forms a bolus which is tossed with the tongue side to side, chew about 30 times. Lips are entirely relaxed. Chewing with clockwise and counter-clockwise directions, switching it up as you chew. It's all intuitive and natural, I learned immediately. Mouth might close for a moment at the commence of chewing if too big a bite was taken.

Any thoughts on this OMC technique? It's way easier than CMCing IMO, looks better and for the first time in my life, it's not a struggle to chew food 30 times, it just comes naturally.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2018 12:42 am
Whistler liked
krollic
Estimable Member

Yeah, I'm convinced by it. Reduction in cheek/lip/nasal folds. Jaw muscles stronger/bigger and sharper cheek line. Hollow cheeks are more prominent. When I eat/chew gum now I put zero effort into cheeks and lips; as a result when I chew my lips part about 5mm which is barely noticeable and nothing like the stereotype of people who eat food with their mouth wide open; I think that behaviour is reserved for mouth breathers since they need to eat and breathe at the same time.

I've been trying to observe this behavior in the wild. Recently was at a bbq and there was one particular guy who was a high 9/10 and asides from the wide jaw/palate and lips closed when idle I saw that he was putting minimal effort into his lip and cheeks while eating. Initially when he arrived he chewed with his mouth fully closed probably out of nerves and respect but when he chilled out a bit and had a few drinks in him in started to adopt this OMC form which I'm pretty sure he would be doing 99% of the time.

When I see him again I might ask him about his chewing hopefully without seeming like a weirdo.

Excuse me, may I inquire about your oral posture? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2018 2:18 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Honestly I have had the same effects as all of you and I have closed mouth chewed anyway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/04/2018 9:21 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

I just realised today that I have been doing the open mouth chewing, but swallowing with my mouth closed still. Then I came across this technique:  https://www.occlivion.com/the-open-mouth-swallow-a-variation-of-the-mew-swallow/

Do all you OMC-ers also swallow with your mouth open...?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2018 3:46 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: Greensmoothies

I just realised today that I have been doing the open mouth chewing, but swallowing with my mouth closed still. Then I came across this technique:  https://www.occlivion.com/the-open-mouth-swallow-a-variation-of-the-mew-swallow/

There should be no reason you can't keep your buccinators and lips inactive during a swallow with mouth closed. If this happens you need to work on your muscle control. I swallow with my mouth closed and nothing in my faces moves. Train your tongue to do the work. I feel all this OMC stuff is just a way to make certain muscles inactive but not to physically make other muscles (your tongue) do more work. It is entirely possible to keep the entire facial muscles inactive when swallowing with a closed mouth.

My reason for being skeptical about OMC is that my understanding of bimax is that people with it have weak lip muscles. When lip muscles are weak, teeth tip out. Teeth tipping out may make your face more taut and reduce nasolabial folds but it has nothing to do with the maxilla coming forward but the teeth pushing the skin out around the lips (thus the NL folds go away). As someone who has had excessive lip pout most of his life (and bimax as a teen) I  would hate to go back to the lip everted profile I used to have. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2018 2:07 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member
Posted by: EddieMoney

There should be no reason you can't keep your buccinators and lips inactive during a swallow with mouth closed. If this happens you need to work on your muscle control. I swallow with my mouth closed and nothing in my faces moves. Train your tongue to do the work. I feel all this OMC stuff is just a way to make certain muscles inactive but not to physically make other muscles (your tongue) do more work. It is entirely possible to keep the entire facial muscles inactive when swallowing with a closed mouth.

My reason for being skeptical about OMC is that my understanding of bimax is that people with it have weak lip muscles. When lip muscles are weak, teeth tip out. Teeth tipping out may make your face more taut and reduce nasolabial folds but it has nothing to do with the maxilla coming forward but the teeth pushing the skin out around the lips (thus the NL folds go away). As someone who has had excessive lip pout most of his life (and bimax as a teen) I  would hate to go back to the lip everted profile I used to have. 

These are interesting theories though I'm just not experiencing a lack of tongue work with OMC for starters. I see no bimax nor teeth tipping in myself appearing nor in my husband who's done OMC all his life without any observed ill effect. Not sure how much can be attributed to this, but his maxilla is ideal so it would be fair to say the practice of OMCing hasn't caused these potential insults at least (teeth tipping, bimax).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2018 6:36 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

These are interesting theories though I'm just not experiencing a lack of tongue work with OMC for starters. I see no bimax nor teeth tipping in myself appearing nor in my husband who's done OMC all his life without any observed ill effect. Not sure how much can be attributed to this, but his maxilla is ideal so it would be fair to say the practice of OMCing hasn't caused these potential insults at least (teeth tipping, bimax).

I hear ya but I raise your anecdote to my own and I see tons of people with ideal and unideal maxillae do either or. My own experience with closed mouth chewing is I have reduced everything bad I hated about my face including duck lips.

Also to be honest the theories around OMC make no sense when it comes to anatomy and muscle function. This is why I am a skeptic because theoretically from a muscle use perspective there is zero reason to weaken your lips especially since they keep your teeth aligned. 

I also have to mention that many good looking people are more genetically blessed in terms of their bone structure. Not only is it properly aligned but they have features which are deemed ideal such as the proportions between their eyes, mouth, nose, cheeks, forehead, and others. Proportions can be changed through posture to look healthy, but actual features of your phenotype like your forehead slope, nose shape, and fatty deposits are entirely genetic. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2018 6:56 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

I hear ya but I raise your anecdote to my own and I see tons of people with ideal and unideal maxillae do either or. My own experience with closed mouth chewing is I have reduced everything bad I hated about my face including duck lips.

Also to be honest the theories around OMC make no sense when it comes to anatomy and muscle function. This is why I am a skeptic because theoretically from a muscle use perspective there is zero reason to weaken your lips especially since they keep your teeth aligned. 

I also have to mention that many good looking people are more genetically blessed in terms of their bone structure. Not only is it properly aligned but they have features which are deemed ideal such as the proportions between their eyes, mouth, nose, cheeks, forehead, and others. Proportions can be changed through posture to look healthy, but actual features of your phenotype like your forehead slope, nose shape, and fatty deposits are entirely genetic. 

That's great it's working for you but I'm scratching my head at your concerns re: OMC. Now you seem to be saying that OMC will lead to weakened lip muscles... but the lips ideally aren't supposed to engage during chewing and swallowing? That's what Mew says from my understanding. For example, he claims if you engage the lower lip during swallowing, the vermillion border effectively disappears there because the muscle of the lower lip becomes too swollen. The lip sort of flips over, looks oversized relative to the upper lip and deepens the line on the chin.

My forehead was sloped due to forward head posture, and my nose did change shape (very common for "Mewers" to list elimination of hump on the nose and a more lifted nose as one of the first changes they noticed). I wasn't born with these features, poor posture caused them and correcting tongue posture was the remedy. Anyway my point was bringing up my husband was to simply point to someone who suffered none of the deleterious effects you theorize may happen as a result of OMCing for 33 years. I'm inclined to think bimax and maybe teeth tipping results more likely from tongue thrust swallow and maybe some other things I'm unaware of.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2018 9:25 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

That's great it's working for you but I'm scratching my head at your concerns re: OMC. Now you seem to be saying that OMC will lead to weakened lip muscles... but the lips ideally aren't supposed to engage during chewing and swallowing? That's what Mew says from my understanding. For example, he claims if you engage the lower lip during swallowing, the vermillion border effectively disappears there because the muscle of the lower lip becomes too swollen. The lip sort of flips over, looks oversized relative to the upper lip and deepens the line on the chin.

My forehead was sloped due to forward head posture, and my nose did change shape (very common for "Mewers" to list elimination of hump on the nose and a more lifted nose as one of the first changes they noticed). I wasn't born with these features, poor posture caused them and correcting tongue posture was the remedy. Anyway my point was bringing up my husband was to simply point to someone who suffered none of the deleterious effects you theorize may happen as a result of OMCing for 33 years. I'm inclined to think bimax and maybe teeth tipping results more likely from tongue thrust swallow and maybe some other things I'm unaware of.

Mike Mew never actually recommended OMC FYI so I wouldn't nnecessarily appeal to his authority on this matter since he  never advocated the practice at all. Whether people chew with their lips or not isn't really to do with OMC or CMC anyway. Mike talks about chewing properly with a closed mouth so it is  possible at least to him to chew closed  and not engage the lips incorrectly. 

You bring up a good point about bimax and tongue thrust. I know that is a more likely cause. 

But again, Mew never advocates  OMC so he seems to believe in proper function with a closed mouth. If you can find me where he discusses OMC I would be happy to see it.

What do you mean your forehead was sloped and nnow it isn't? To my knowledge I have not  seen forehead quality or angle change from mewing or OMC or posture changes. Also, even if that was possible, looking like a model is more genetic than postural. For example some men will never develop robust features even through posture  because they didn't have the genes to be that way. People become better versions of themselves but for example some people  with moon faces never lose that or people with full lips/natural prognathism (not a maloclussion) don't lose that either. It is not as if mewing or posture changes turn someone to a supermodel .Just look at Mew himself lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2018 12:14 am
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

Mike Mew hasn't broached it yet likely because OMC is a newer practice in this community, perhaps he touches on it at some point. I brought Mew in to this to provide proof of claim that activating the lips during chewing isn't recommended (in response to your theory that OMC leads to weakened lip muscles, then to teeth tipping or bimax).

Sloped forehead is quite a common result of forward head posture. Correcting posture will eventually promote remodelling of bone and this is one of my results 5 years in. Also, model good looks does involve nurture and environment significantly: breastfeeding or braces/palate expansion before puberty will help ensure ideal skull development and adequate breastfeeding in particular has been linked to the development of ingrained best practices in how we use our mouth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2018 1:10 am
openbytes17

Don't you sound like a horse when you OMC? ive been trying to practice but i feel like i sound ridiculous 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2018 10:59 am
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member
Posted by: openbytes17

Don't you sound like a horse when you OMC? ive been trying to practice but i feel like i sound ridiculous 🤣 

Nah, it can be really subtle if the lips are kept relaxed, taking small bites and not opening your mouth wide. The smacking sounds are optional, heh. My husband has done this all his life but I only noticed more recently because he doesn't OMC in the way you'd expect, smacking his lips and showing off his food chewing like a cow lol. But if you do it right it's not something others would typically notice. I think the main things to be aware of are you may need to take smaller bites than you're used to and try not to engage the lips, use just the teeth and tongue to form the food bolus and swallow. Also you don't have to be too strict about it, closing your mouth when need be is fine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2018 11:17 am
Allixa
Estimable Member

I've put the OMC question to Mew in the previous Q&A thread. Hopefully he answers it in the video he's making, and hopefully it comes out some time soon. I have a feeling that everyone is waiting on that video before we can move forward again.

No matter what he says I will keep doing it though. I've seen nothing but benefits from it. And I don't overthink it or get religious about it. I just follow my instincts. All I had to do was UNLEARN the idea that closed mouth was 'proper' and 'good manners' and then from there I just let my instincts guide me. I don't like overthinking things, it just doesn't fit my personality.

Anyways hopefully Mew puts the video out soon. Also Sarah Hornsby.. I put the question to her too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2018 11:50 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Mike Mew hasn't broached it yet likely because OMC is a newer practice in this community, perhaps he touches on it at some point. I brought Mew in to this to provide proof of claim that activating the lips during chewing isn't recommended (in response to your theory that OMC leads to weakened lip muscles, then to teeth tipping or bimax).

Sloped forehead is quite a common result of forward head posture. Correcting posture will eventually promote remodelling of bone and this is one of my results 5 years in. Also, model good looks does involve nurture and environment significantly: breastfeeding or braces/palate expansion before puberty will help ensure ideal skull development and adequate breastfeeding in particular has been linked to the development of ingrained best practices in how we use our mouth.

I agree with the fact nurturing practices can make someone look unhealthy/ugly. However I will use someone who is a model as an example.

David Gandy in his prime had features that many here would consider to he unhealthy and ugly. A dorsal hump, a small upper lip, and a not so ideal side profile with a sloping forehead (I don't know where that meme of sloping forehead being bad came from). Yet all of his features worked together in tandem to make him something companies wanted as the face to represent their products. He also had a rare eye color and hair ccombination. Those tthings cannot be changed my posture. Neither can height be maxed to model levels through posture . Most male models are well over 6 feet tall. They also have wide clavicles in the high percentiles. These are genetic and are tied to the environment in the womb, not the childhood or adolescence. The same thing applies to someone like Francisco Lachowski . He is 6'4, has a wide frame, and has a specific eye shape that is entirely genetic (most likely from his Polish ancestors). If I adjust my lifestyle to optimal health i still not look like Lachowski. 

Another great example to use is pro athletes. They are a lot healthier and robust than your average human and within them there is amazing variation. Some have flat profiles, some angular, some are 5'9, some are 6'4. Some looks like models, others not so much.

Look at #3 (second from left) and then the guy he has his arm around (shorter guy with dark complexion and elbow tattoo). They are the only two in the pic facing down and to the right. Now #3 has a very angular and robust side profile. The shorter guy he has his arm around does not. His profile is more flat and "graceful". Now, does it make 1 guy healthier or more model like than the other? That is relative. My point is that even on people with great health and posture that individual phenotypical variation will still exist. Also, you can tell they both have decent if not great maxillary development due to how taut their neck area is and how well supported their eyes are. They also have great chin projection and healthy nasal profiles with no aquiline structure to be seen. Is the taller more robust guy somehow less healthy because his profile is more dimorphic? But then he is significantly taller than the elbow tattoo guy. My point is this: genetics cannot he changed. Your individual features that aren't posture related won't go away nor should you expect them to. Things like a dorsal hump are posture related where things like how robust your body is are not. 

My point being it isn't in the cards for everyone to have a certain model look and it shouldn't be. I don't want people believing that posture cchanges and mewing will make them models. It will improve health and shift bones around for certain (I have experienced this myself) but looking like a model is entirely genetic and most people even with perfect health will never have that look. 

Finally, assuming proper posture immediately corrects forehead slope anyway simply by the skull being straighter. I used to think I had prognathism for that reason. I simply tucked my chin and realized I actually was qquite retrognathous. But these aren't bone changes ,just angular perception. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2018 12:28 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

I agree with the fact nurturing practices can make someone look unhealthy/ugly. However I will use someone who is a model as an example.

David Gandy in his prime had features that many here would consider to he unhealthy and ugly. A dorsal hump, a small upper lip, and a not so ideal side profile with a sloping forehead (I don't know where that meme of sloping forehead being bad came from). Yet all of his features worked together in tandem to make him something companies wanted as the face to represent their products. He also had a rare eye color and hair ccombination. Those tthings cannot be changed my posture. Neither can height be maxed to model levels through posture . Most male models are well over 6 feet tall. They also have wide clavicles in the high percentiles. These are genetic and are tied to the environment in the womb, not the childhood or adolescence. The same thing applies to someone like Francisco Lachowski . He is 6'4, has a wide frame, and has a specific eye shape that is entirely genetic (most likely from his Polish ancestors). If I adjust my lifestyle to optimal health i still not look like Lachowski. 

Another great example to use is pro athletes. They are a lot healthier and robust than your average human and within them there is amazing variation. Some have flat profiles, some angular, some are 5'9, some are 6'4. Some looks like models, others not so much.

Look at #3 (second from left) and then the guy he has his arm around (shorter guy with dark complexion and elbow tattoo). They are the only two in the pic facing down and to the right. Now #3 has a very angular and robust side profile. The shorter guy he has his arm around does not. His profile is more flat and "graceful". Now, does it make 1 guy healthier or more model like than the other? That is relative. My point is that even on people with great health and posture that individual phenotypical variation will still exist. Also, you can tell they both have decent if not great maxillary development due to how taut their neck area is and how well supported their eyes are. They also have great chin projection and healthy nasal profiles with no aquiline structure to be seen. Is the taller more robust guy somehow less healthy because his profile is more dimorphic? But then he is significantly taller than the elbow tattoo guy. My point is this: genetics cannot he changed. Your individual features that aren't posture related won't go away nor should you expect them to. Things like a dorsal hump are posture related where things like how robust your body is are not. 

My point being it isn't in the cards for everyone to have a certain model look and it shouldn't be. I don't want people believing that posture cchanges and mewing will make them models. It will improve health and shift bones around for certain (I have experienced this myself) but looking like a model is entirely genetic and most people even with perfect health will never have that look. 

Finally, assuming proper posture immediately corrects forehead slope anyway simply by the skull being straighter. I used to think I had prognathism for that reason. I simply tucked my chin and realized I actually was qquite retrognathous. But these aren't bone changes ,just angular perception. 

Eddie, my parents were trying to establish me as a model. The instructions were braces before puberty, multivitamin and a glass of milk every day. Nobody wrung their hands over my parent's poor appearance, probably because it is known these simple steps will tend to create an attractive person. Then the emphasis shifts toward cultivating the correct attitude, if that's possible. Lachowski's dad is a great example of this concept too. In fact a lot of what Mew talks about is a rehash of what I learned at modelling school. Yes things like height are heritable but we can certainly influence our appearance to a significant degree with nutrition and best oral & postural practices, especially during key times like pre-puberty, in infancy and the pre-natal period. 

Eye shape isn't entirely genetic: Mew some more you should find your eyes become more narrow as more zygomatic bone shifts and builds to better support your eyes. Also I will tell you about my husband and his brother. My husband has all the correct habits that models will have, and a result is he's good looking. His eyes are shaped somewhat similarly to Lachowski's. My husband's brother, on the other hand, is a mouth breather with sloped shoulders, receded chin and forward head posture. His eyes are poorly supported with that characteristic confused look that mouth breathers have. I don't believe his brother was meant to look that way, rather his poor habits lead to these undesirable changes. And if he started Mewing and correcting his posture he'd look significantly better over time.

Why do you seem to believe bone remodeling can't occur with posture correction? How are you getting changes from corrected tongue posture? It's not all about skull bones shifting. And we can certainly modify our genetics, turning genes on and off and this is observed in the science of epigenetics. There's also emerging science called gene therapy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2018 1:18 pm
scerif liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Eddie, my parents were trying to establish me as a model. The instructions were braces before puberty, multivitamin and a glass of milk every day. Nobody wrung their hands over my parent's poor appearance, probably because it is known these simple steps will tend to create an attractive person. Then the emphasis shifts toward cultivating the correct attitude, if that's possible. Lachowski's dad is a great example of this concept too. In fact a lot of what Mew talks about is a rehash of what I learned at modelling school. Yes things like height are heritable but we can certainly influence our appearance to a significant degree with nutrition and best oral & postural practices, especially during key times like pre-puberty, in infancy and the pre-natal period. 

Eye shape isn't entirely genetic: Mew some more you should find your eyes become more narrow as more zygomatic bone shifts and builds to better support your eyes. Also I will tell you about my husband and his brother. My husband has all the correct habits that models will have, and a result is he's good looking. His eyes are shaped somewhat similarly to Lachowski's. My husband's brother, on the other hand, is a mouth breather with sloped shoulders, receded chin and forward head posture. His eyes are poorly supported with that characteristic confused look that mouth breathers have. I don't believe his brother was meant to look that way, rather his poor habits lead to these undesirable changes. And if he started Mewing and correcting his posture he'd look significantly better over time.

Why do you seem to believe bone remodeling can't occur with posture correction? How are you getting changes from corrected tongue posture? It's not all about skull bones shifting. And we can certainly modify our genetics, turning genes on and off and this is observed in the science of epigenetics. There's also emerging science called gene therapy.

I don't doubt bones can be reshaped by posture. My main point is looking like a model is a roll of the dice and involves WAY MORE than prominent jaws and proper posture. When you consider that models all have features that work in tandem to create their unique combination, the whole discussion about just bone shape is just plain incomplete. Again, consider my athlete examples. 

Also, even if eyes become less open through posture, an eye shape like Lachowski is one shaped by genetics due to climate and sunlight . People's eyes in Mediterranean climates for example do not have that shape even if proper posture is assumed and they are seen more in more Eastern longitudes. Consider most models don't have eyes like him. 

Finally, understand that simply tilting your head down immediately reduces  slope of forehead due to angle perception. This doesn't mean the bone reshaped itself by this motion in mere seconds. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2018 10:26 am
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

I don't doubt bones can be reshaped by posture. My main point is looking like a model is a roll of the dice and involves WAY MORE than prominent jaws and proper posture. When you consider that models all have features that work in tandem to create their unique combination, the whole discussion about just bone shape is just plain incomplete. Again, consider my athlete examples. 

Also, even if eyes become less open through posture, an eye shape like Lachowski is one shaped by genetics due to climate and sunlight . People's eyes in Mediterranean climates for example do not have that shape even if proper posture is assumed and they are seen more in more Eastern longitudes. Consider most models don't have eyes like him. 

Finally, understand that simply tilting your head down immediately reduces  slope of forehead due to angle perception. This doesn't mean the bone reshaped itself by this motion in mere seconds. 

Looking like a model is not a roll of the dice, and you don't need to have unique combos of facial traits, this that and the other etc to become a model/look like one (though it may help). Also I want everyone reading to have faith that with applying the knowledge on this forum, you may be able to accomplish what those in the know have been doing for some time and promote increased attractiveness & health in yourself and your offspring, yes possibly even to the point of model good looks if the potential is there.

I also don't think we should be trying to establish parameters through the culture on the forum regarding what people can potentially accomplish. Just look at what happened to Lookism. A culture of critique is fine, good even, though I hope what's never lost sight of is how this is a community very much rooted in experimentation and discussion of subject matter outside accepted norms and orthodox with a common goal in mind. If the potential exists, and a person applies themselves enough, they may be able to get great results, and we really don't know the full extent of how Mewing (and related modalities plus any future technologies/modalities) is going help people in the years to come.

I can only speculate as to what's going on with respect to the doubting Thomas-esque viewpoints toward the results I claim to have gotten (which you're mischaracterising), the claims of potential deleterious effects from OMC (which, no offense intended, don't seem to have any merit), and what potential people may have as well as their offspring. But I ask myself "who benefits", so I'll bow out now and we'll just agree to disagree.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2018 1:32 pm
Rockyp33 liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@Greensmoothies

Looking like a model is absolutely a roll of the dice. Consider models many times are above 6 feet tall. That is something most people can't control. Consider that most male models also have very wide clavicles. Also out of your own control. Saying it's just a healthy and symmetrical face is very inaccurate. A 5'5 male can make his face look good to his own potential but until I see a mewing before and after where someone grew to above 6 feet and became robust with wider clavicles I will continue to say the burden of proof is on those who believe supermodel looks are possible through postural change. You yourself even said "if the potential is there" which alludes to you being aware it may not be at all.

However, the merit to OMC may be that some of you guys may overuse your lips when you chew and this allows you to reprogram yourself to not to do this. So I will not discount that either. Same reason why a single exercise program is not one size fits all.

Finally, expect to have doubters to everything you say as it's just a part of life and nobody should expect anything they say to be taken at face value . questioning things is perfectly healthy and should be encouraged.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2018 2:55 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

Eddie, there are communities of people dedicated to growing up to 1-2 inch(s) in height even in adulthood, using supplements and various modalities/exercises to do so. These types of people looking to increase their height and Mewers hoping to expand their skulls likewise are pioneers really and it's going to take some time to tease out what works and the limits of our potential.

You could be right about the benefits of OMC, for myself I've found chewing and swallowing correctly as one of the more challenging aspects of Mewing.

Yep, the potential for model good-looks might not be in the cards for everyone, not everyone has the phenotype for it nor is everyone capable of putting in the necessary effort for various reasons. But when you say things like "it's a roll of the dice" and "[it's] entirely genetic" you're making claims contrary to Mew's work... which is fine, and if you can put forward something compelling there, I'm sure that'd be an interesting read. But from my view, there are practices, science and observations that I've learnt about over the years that I believe refute your claims which lie beyond the scope of this thread.

Questioning is fine, don't give me the benefit of the doubt if you wish, but you can expect people to understandably object if you mischaracterise claims about their reported results and then turn 'round to say they're wrong about what they've observed. And then if your claims of potential deleterious effects about a practice fall flat as well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2018 3:41 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

I wonder if leaving your mouth open has anything to do with forward growth

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2018 2:32 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Read claiming powers posture article for evidence

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2018 2:39 am
krollic
Estimable Member

I wanted to mention that since doing omc I've noticed that when my jaw is closed (which is does by itself without effort now) I can now feel my lower jaw pushing forward against my top teeth. When chewing I pretty much only chew up/down and occasionally side to side and yet I'm pretty sure that my masseter is pushing my jaw forward for whatever reason. I think that this new force alongside the forces of my tongue on the tip + front ridges of my mouth is gonna help a lot in my lower thirds forward development and maybe my maxilla? kinda exciting

would like to hear what you guys think of this and if you think there might be an issue with my front teeth slightly pushing against each other? cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2018 5:25 am
Rockyp33 liked
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Star hammer commented this on my article and it sounds like this is what’s happening to you. “I would say try to keep teeth as close as possible. Why? It'll bring your tongue closer to the palate. This would achieve better force exertion on the palate because your tongue can come up more. That'll provide for faster movement. I don't know what kind of speed of movement is best though but it just makes sense. More force more movement. It also stabilizes your bottom jaw more and provides more bio feedback to your body to keep the mandible the same size as your upper jaw. It would also allow your tongue to spread out more to exert sideways force.

Your upper jaw would go up and forward faster and the deep bite would reduce.

Disclaimer: not a doctor by any means. Just going off of the Mew Hypothesis and their explanation of over jets and over bites.

If it's not comfortable closing them don't do it. However, when eating I would do it and use the food as a cushion.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2018 4:49 pm
krollic
Estimable Member

thanks. i've always had my teeth touching properly as i'm a Class 1 but now I can very my teeth pushing forward against my top teeth

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2018 5:04 pm
Rockyp33 liked
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Yeah I realized I didn’t have my teeth touching due to my insecurity about my deep bite and I thought it wasn’t the natural way but I think u have to have it closed until it adapts and fixes itself

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2018 7:50 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Since I’ve started mewing with my bite closed I feel as if I can’t get as much consistent pressure or that I don’t notice as much as if my bite was slightly open

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2018 1:28 am
Dominik liked
Angelina

i dont know if OMC helped me at all and i dont think it is very significant, but what i know for sure is that moving food with my tongue as far back as possible and using last molars to chew is important (at least it helps in my case). when doing so i have a strong sensation under my eyes and also tend to  instinctively streighten my neck and tuck my chin a little. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2018 8:31 am
Shery24249

How is ur progres going so far? Please reply 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 3:49 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

Looks like Mew does OMC too (or with gum, at least):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL8di_NoQgU&t=0m11s

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2018 7:17 pm
Dominik and Apollo liked
Dominik
Trusted Member

e_e I got mastic tears, its like resin and you chew it into a hard gum... tasty. Then went for OMC ... my face was screaming for help in 10 minutes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2018 2:19 am
Dominik
Trusted Member
Posted by: Rockyp33

Since I’ve started mewing with my bite closed I feel as if I can’t get as much consistent pressure or that I don’t notice as much as if my bite was slightly open

I wake up like this every morning with my teeth closed, lips together and tongue on the roof of my mouth, but its not pushing as hard as I do during the day, because my teeth are together. At least its there. Wonder if the lack of force is an issue, but I cant control it if I'm asleep. Normally during the day I shove hard enough with my tongue to feel strong pressure in the maxilla and head e_e is that too much pressure? My tongue and muscles behind and below my chin in the mandible are nearly constantly flexed, I have muscle fever in my chin I swear..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2018 2:35 am
accnum2

Anyone can give me cheap mastic gum link in tear form? I bought twice, once i got it in tears but was expensive. Second time cheaper but was not in tears but a block

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2018 9:10 am
Samuel Alonzo
Eminent Member

how's it going now

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2018 9:40 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Not too long after viewing this topic, I tried omc and within the first week I had gains. I could tell, because I pressed on my cheek bones and felt it much sooner then when I chewed with my mouth closed.

Also in the chin, jaw and I've got a much better nose overall.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/11/2018 11:17 pm
zz37
 zz37

@EddieMoney

you are right about becoming a supermodel is genetics and kinda roll of a dice.

Examples could be Jordan Barrett, Lucky Blue Smith and David Gandy, some of the most succesful male models ever indeed. Neither of them have "grown right" or have that good bone structure. Gandy and Lucky actually are very recessed. Yet they became supermodels.

It is like a roll of a dice.

Eye area is so important, and that is a mix of genetics and luck. Look at Chico's kids. They do not have those wonderful eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/11/2018 4:52 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

Dr. Mike Mew clearly advises that the lips should be closed during chewing, at least for children, in this video about the meal time exercise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9aLnWQ4jgg

I'm still curious to see if he answers a question about open mouth chewing in the next Q&A video.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/01/2019 8:02 pm
Whistler

That is very interesting. I am so glad I found this place! I have been doing Mewing about 3-4 months and I also have found my chin becoming recessive. At first I thought it was just my imagination because I trusted so much what Dr. Mew was instructing, but I have concluded that I am not making things up. I googled to see what was on the internet and found this forum. Your post and everybody else confirms what I was seeing and feeling. I have been having a hard time putting my lips together too. I was thinking how was I ever going to get used to this, because it just didn't seem natural to me.  As much as I tried it was always very hard to keep my mouth shut while chewing and I never was able to 100% do it, do to some very crunch and juicy raw vegetables or even when food is hot. IN any case, I am going to go back to chewing with my mouth open during times that feels natural rather than so contrived. There is a YT'er who has been doing mewing for several years and he has a recessive chin and some people have asked him why, and he doesnt know why. Thinks its still going to develop.In any case, this may be the reason why

This post was modified 8 months ago by Whistler
ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2019 8:54 pm
Whistler

This is what happened to my maxilla too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2019 8:57 pm
kix
 kix

Hello,

Is there a link showing the right way to practice OMC ?

Thx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2019 2:18 pm
Acnno

I tried it today and it feels so much better than closed mouth chewing, gonna be doing it like this from now on, I feel my zygomatic bone which I never felt before while chewing so... yea.... seems like OMC is the way to go 👍 👍 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2019 10:45 am
kix
 kix

What the tongue is supposed to be doing while chewing ?

The tip on the roof ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2019 3:39 am
JeanMacDougall
Eminent Member

this, im starting omc today would like to know about tongue placement.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2019 6:40 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Please Login or Register