Forum

NOTICE:

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Open mouth chewers should be cautious when doing this. Here's why  

RSS
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)

If you ever looked in the mirror and looked at your teeth with your mouth open and breathed through your mouth. You have probably noticed that it drops down and it opens up a way to your throat, but when you breathe nasally it closes the way. This is no different for when you eat.

Now you're wondering why I wrote this, it's because I chew with my mouth open and sometimes let out a sigh. And when I was eating some carrots I breathed through my mouth then I breathed with my nose immediately after and felt the carrot bounce off the back of my tongue.

And that is why I wrote this to spread some awareness... God I'm boring as hell

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2018 9:38 pm
darkindigo
(@darkindigo)
Eminent Member

I agree!!!  I think that CHANGING how we eat can be dangerous!  I specifically have NOT taken that piece of advice, because it stretches out our lips.  Our upper lips droop about 1 mm every 10 years... by the time we're quite old, many people you can't see their full upper teeth for this reason.  However!  I think that the tongue suction while I sleep is causing problems.  I'm getting a bit of an open bite (my smile was perfect before, just wanted to maintain)… and that's in the back.  It's like my teeth don't touch as much or at least that the top teeth overlap the bottom... like I've had some kind of lifting of my maxilla.  This may make my cheekbones look nice, but because my mandible is still where it is, I might get TMJ now (mandible condiles getting pushed up) in order to touch back teeth.  I should document my smile, how it's changed and why the British Orthodontic Association was right in expelling Dr. Mike Mew.  I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ALL HIS VIDEOS START OUT WITH A DISCLAIMER THAT REAL CHANGES CAN HAPPEN AND NOT ALWAYS IN THE DIRECTION THAT YOU WANT.  One of my mandibular condiles (as determined through CBCT) was high to begin. PLEASE!  Tell me how to stop "Mewing" in my sleep as I'm concerned for my health!!!!!  Once you build a tongue habit with the strongest muscle in your body... that is nearly impossible to undo.... especially when it's at night and unconscious!  This is why I say that we should just not be doing stuff like this.  Live normally without all this focus/hype/all these problems.  Perhaps nobody else has noticed this, because their teeth weren't perfect to begin and/or don't pay this level of attention.  KEEP HIM EXPELLED UNLESS/UNTIL HE PUTS DISCLAIMERS ON EVERY YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE FRONT AND THE END!  This should be leverage to take a very simple action that would benefit many!  If the British Orthodontic Society really wanted to help people, they'd use this middle-ground solution to resolve this.

Let's start a petition to get him to place warnings at the beginning of all his videos.  YouTube surely won't make him.

This post was modified 7 days  ago 6 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 8:31 am
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator

@darkindigo Calm down and assume some personal responsibility over your life. You constantly come across as hysterical, incoherent, extremely self-centered and borderline delusional. You make nonsensical claims, you advice others against their best interests, you baselessly present yourself as a voice of authority.

Slow down. You don't need to share with us every new thought you have. Thoughts change. Conclusions evolve. What seems self-evident today may seem questionable tomorrow, and vice versa. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 1:34 pm RedFountain, Halti.H and Sorrow liked
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)

Darkindigo it's not his fault that your results are not ideal you hard mewed and so did I and that caused some damage, but he did not instruct us to 'hard mew'.

I see where you're coming from, but just remind you me chewing with my mouth open came from a user of this website, not Mike I've adopted omc from that user not him. 

Now calm down.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 8:01 pm
Bogdar
(@bogdar)

darkindigo, I think you're overreacting. I have to agree with Progress, thoughts change, maybe in some weeks your mandible will change, changes take time to happen.

Also, I'm not an expert at all but since your maxilla has lifted up, your TMJ should be lifted up too. No reason they're become being compressed or whatever.

I personally had very very bad issues with my TMJ - atroce pain for years, asymetry, and other stuff - and mewing saved my life. Now everyday I'm so thankful to live a pain-free life, after having suffered TMJ disorders for years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2018 10:46 pm darkindigo liked
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register