Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Only left half of tongue making contact with roof and high palate problems  

RSS
Brahman

I have severe TMJ and was reccomemded Mew by a myofunctional therapist. I did what I thought the right posture 24/7 for 1.5 years. I know realize only left half of tongue made contact with roof and now my tongue is twisted more to the left and is not straight and has far more muscle than the right half which barely has strength to stay up on the roof for a minute. I also developed right throat pain and constant choking sensation which I realize is possibly due to my high palate for which I forced most of the tongue to occupy collapsing my airway. I also pushed up and out on half the tongue including where it was resting deep on the soft palate which causes choking at all times and a forward head posture. My bite is shifted to the right and edge to edge bite.

Does anyone know what I should do to fix this? Any tips? I sound like a crazy person when I try to explain this to someone and you guys seem really knowledgeable.

thanks a lot

Posted : 09/01/2019 2:53 am
Sclera
Estimable Member

The twisting of the tongue reminds me of what my tongue felt like when I first began tongue strengthening exercises. It sounds to me like you need to work on balancing your tongue strength, and focusing on keeping equal pressure and strength with both sides of your tongue.

Here's a link to a few myofunctional exercises that helped strengthen my tongue, that might also benefit you:  https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/tongue-strengthening-exercises/#post-13448

Also, if you are able, I would suggest going back to a myofunctional therapist and get one-on-one time to figure out how to adjust and correct.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 9:53 am
Brahman

Thanks a lot for the reply, I just did 5 reps of skinny tongue and I can already feel slightly more even! I’m still way off but can hold that for about 2 minutes now. I’ll do skinny tongue every day for a few weeks and see what happens. There is only 1 therapist in my area, they were really nice but I did get worse after a few appointments but if it doesn’t improve in a month or so I’ll give it another shot. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 2:33 pm
Lee
 Lee
Eminent Member

FYI if you have tongue ties, they can be asymmetrical too.  I'm doing an entire year of myofunctional therapy and got my ties released 5 months ago. I still gain mobility in my tongue every month.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 4:05 pm
Sclera
Estimable Member

You said you got worse after a few appointments? Would you be willing to elaborate on that?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 6:23 pm