Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

One eyebrow arched higher than the other = midface asymmetry/cant?

sinned
Estimable Member

It seems like a particular type of asymmetry causes one eyebrow to arch higher than the other

This type where it's canted in either direction, the side where the jaws is dropped down more seems to have a higher arched eyebrow

Here are some examples using o pry, he's canted towards the left side, you can tell easily with which way his nose is pointing, his right side has dropped more and that's also the side where his eyebrow is arched higher.

A possible explanation for this is a canted maxilla somehow affects the muscles around the eyes/eyebrows causing one to arch higher than the other.

Here's an extreme example where it is most certainly the muscles around the eyes affecting the eyebrows shape, but underlying bone structure could possibly affect the muscles of the face is what I'm suggesting.

Topic starter Posted : 27/03/2021 1:38 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

I can confirm this for myself since I got my right incisor removed and my jaw started moving to the left so my right side of the face is good but my left side is less developed and my left eyebrow is a lot higher this affected also my buccinator muscle. on the left side

the asymmetry is almost not noticeable but it is there you can see also that the nose is pointed to the left side where you can see that my eye brow is higher

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2021 7:54 am
Sceriff
Eminent Member

I don't think it can be completely solved, but do you think there's a way to make symmetrical at least the eyes? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2021 2:56 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@sceriff eye area is really hard to fix in my opinion specially asymmetry is hard to solve in my case I can open the closed disesteem and replace the space with an implant this all in a surgery 

but it doesn't bother me much I have a problem that my lower jaw is 1cm too far back which affects my sleep and daily energy so yeah

but sean opry is not a good example because the side where his eyebrow is higher is his good side look at the nose it's pointed away from it

or he has the opposite problem that I have

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2021 4:22 pm
skethoskope

This diagram perfectly illustrates what happens. Just look at the arrows. From our perspective, The right lower teeth are higher than the left lower teeth. This causes more force to be transferred upwards to the right side of the face , hence why there is a red arrow on the right side pointing upwards. This upwards force is likely what is pushing up the eyebrow on the right side

I have similar issue, and here is my theory: the side (right or left) where your lower teeth is higher than the other side is the side where the eyebrow will be higher/more arched. Also, I think if one side of your lower teeth is higher than the other side, than not only will that side's jaw be higher, but also the midline will be shifted. For example, for me, my right eyebrow is higher and more arched than my left eyebrow. My right lower teeth is higher than my left lower teeth and my midline is shifted (lower teeth to the left of upper teeth midline)

The issue therefore stems from a misplaced midline or a cant, and the two may be connected

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2021 1:56 pm
btx
 btx

@skethoskope This summarizes my face. Misplaced midline, canted jaw,  leading to a higher eyebrow, etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2021 3:44 pm
skethoskope

@btx me too bro. what do you plan to do? First thing is first is fix your body posture, and also go see an ortho professional to correct the midline/asymmetry. good luck. i would say since you have asyemmtry... dont mew hard now. fix the asymmetry first. otherwise you worsen existing asymmetry

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2021 4:23 pm
btx
 btx
Posted by: @sinned

Here's an extreme example where it is most certainly the muscles around the eyes affecting the eyebrows shape, but underlying bone structure could possibly affect the muscles of the face is what I'm suggesting.

I think bone structure can certainly affect facial muscles.

@skethoskope

That's my gut feeling too  - to not mew too much as it would be pushing an asymmetry more. Other than that I am likely just learning to live with it and fixing any cosmetic issues 

* as an adult 2x ortho and surgeon consults they felt fairly confident a leforte would fix it. downside was price and healing time, plus risk of nerve damage. i have healed facial nerve damage following an accident and i don't really want to go through it again. 
* used invisalign to correct bite. jaw cant is still present, as the jaw bone midline is still off, but my bite is greatly improved and my teeth are no longer breaking from incorrect closure. visible midline has improved to being off just 1/4 a tooth rather than 1/2. after some cosmetic work to fix broken teeth it's a night and day difference visually.
* used photofeeler.com to get feedback on various smiles. once i got one i could do, i was able to get feedback unsolicited saying i had a great smile (which i didn't even think was possible). i achieved this by smiling wider on the side with a raised eyebrow, and slightly elevating just the forehead side on the lower eyebrow. i think every case will be unique as for what muscles to use.
* facial aerobics and some routines from https://www.shapeyourface.com/ to use to strengthen both the frontalis levator and muellers muscle on the lower side. have not done much work here, but in theory it should open up an asymmetric droopy eye and also elevate a lowered brow. most of the results are based on bilateral work with isolation not being recommended so I won't be isolating just the lowered side.

These of course are just cosmetic fixes.
I can't figure out if the jaw cant and resulting movement vectors affecting eyebrows are an isolated issue - or a symptom of minor hemifacial microsomia/some kind of hypoplasia that has always been present. Guess I could get an xray of eye orbits to really tell. But it's more of an academic issue if not willing to pursue surgery.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2021 7:21 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@skethoskope I have this as well with the midline that is misplaced because my right incisor got removed.

but I think you can be fixing it by getting an implant.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2021 11:36 am
bluraccoon

Sorry for not contributing in a meaningful way (please feel free to remove my answer if you find it takes away from the discussion), but I, too, have an asymmetrical face. It is quite frustrating. My top lip is thinner on the right side, my right eye & eyebrow are higher, and my nose leans to the right. I haven't paid enough attention to my jaw, but it's likely off-center as well. My case is worse than most pictures posted (all but one), because I have very noticeable problems with my soft tissue. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/04/2021 10:34 am