Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

On facial exercises and massage/stretching to fix receding chin  

RSS
misseruvi

Hello fellow mewers;

I came about this article which explained on how to relax the soft tissue on the area starting just below the lower lip. It talks about the hypertrophy of the muscles on this area can produce a receding looking chin. I'm referring to the chin shape which has no curve and looks like a slope such as the one on the picture. 

http://myonet.de/BUCH/buch-word/ueb-word-www/www-exc/wwwexc119-mentalisstretch.htm

I mention this because it may not just be me suffering this weird chin shape, that as soon as i "press" it against my bone the projection seems like any other chin. The article above shows how you can relax the tissue, but I'm not sure if it will work on making the chin appear more prominent.

I also try to reshape my chin by forcing this better looking position but it's hard to keep all day and I'm not sure face muscles can be re-positioned like that on the long term.

Any thoughts are appreciated 🙂

Good day!

Posted : 16/10/2019 11:20 am
Elwynn

I unfortunately have this chin shape as well. However, in my case, it is not caused by any muscle pathology, but rather the protrusion of my lower incisors. Since my palate is too narrow to accommodate my teeth, the incisors (of the mandible and maxilla) flare outward, making the lips prominent, but the chin less so. I'm curious if anyone else here has this problem.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 11:55 am
misseruvi

@elwynn

Have you considered braces to expand the lower and upper palate, allowing better teeth contact? It seems like your problem could be fixed with palate expansion and a corrected bite

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 12:02 pm
Elwynn

@misseruvi

I have purchased a palate-expander, but have been procrastinating on sending back the teeth mold. In the meantime, I've been trying to use my tongue to naturally expand my palate. I am without a doubt able to tip my teeth outwards, allowing for more room, but the actual expansion of my palate thus far is uncertain. Still, I am able to stick my tongue further back then I had before, so possibly some minor expansion has occurred. When I finally go through with the expander, though, hopefully I'll be able to increase my IMW further.

Have you achieved any palatal expansion yourself?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 12:36 pm
misseruvi

@elwynn

To be honest I ended up getting braces which were self ligating (they don't need those pesky bands and you can just click the wire in) and have achieved pretty good palate expansion with said wire. On top of that i asked to get miniscrews to correct gummy-smile and hopefully also shorten the lower midface.

I cannot say for sure if all this made significant facial changes, though it has made chewing easier by A LOT, since my bite was pretty open. People say I look better, yet it could be aging or other factors. Pictures will not show this change as it is minimal, but I think I look healthier overall after getting the braces. It could change your profile by a lot, or maybe nothing at all so be cynical.

I have no faith that mewing alone can give me a chin, it seems too optimistic. Hence I've been searching for other methods such as facial muscle training to see if the chin can change!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 4:36 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I fixed my chin from doing this

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2019 12:08 am
misseruvi

@eddiemoney

Could you give us a bit more info if possible? Would be nice to hear how you achieved a better looking chin 🙂

Were you referring to the massage/exercises or the braces??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2019 4:48 am
Colette
Eminent Member
Posted by: @misseruvi

Hello fellow mewers;

I came about this article which explained on how to relax the soft tissue on the area starting just below the lower lip. It talks about the hypertrophy of the muscles on this area can produce a receding looking chin. I'm referring to the chin shape which has no curve and looks like a slope such as the one on the picture. 

http://myonet.de/BUCH/buch-word/ueb-word-www/www-exc/wwwexc119-mentalisstretch.htm

I mention this because it may not just be me suffering this weird chin shape, that as soon as i "press" it against my bone the projection seems like any other chin. The article above shows how you can relax the tissue, but I'm not sure if it will work on making the chin appear more prominent.

I also try to reshape my chin by forcing this better looking position but it's hard to keep all day and I'm not sure face muscles can be re-positioned like that on the long term.

Any thoughts are appreciated 🙂

Good day!

Hey! This makes a lot of sense. My only question would be, with what would I know compensate the overuse of my chin muscle so that I do not have to do this exercise once it's fixed. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2019 10:56 am
misseruvi

@aramisx

If you're referring to the fixing the muscles so you get a chin shape posture, then I think the face will naturally admit this new "posture" with time, just like with mewing the tongue at some point only feels comfortable being on the top palate!
Again this is new to me so I am as clueless as any other...

PS: we don't know if the chin can even be fixed. So for now i try to see it as a cute little chin that is too shy to come out xD

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2019 12:30 pm
Share:

Face Development

Please Login or Register