Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

On before-after comparisons and The Camera Lens  

RSS
max iller
Eminent Member

I have been on the forum for quite a while, watching, lurking. However, I have seen few examples of impressive change, impressive being any change at all.

Some of the cross faded comparisons on here are impressive. I've tried myself to create comparisons, but this is a tricky task. Camera distortion is a bastəd, it WILL ruin your comparisons if you dont take measures to eliminate differences between photos, and to distinguish actual change from the cameras just messing with you.

This seems obvious, but the degree to which your features morph and change due to distortion is impressive, beyond what I really expected.

Here are some examples of what is either an incredible 6~ month change or camera distortion.

Seems I have accumulated some sort of palsy from mewing, lol

Here shows more examples of what I think is a Fool's Progress

Even when taking the photos resting on my windowsill with a timer, and plopping myself in a very similar position to how i did a few weeks back; I still come back with morphed, messy comparisons.

To do this properly will require something stronger than human guesswork, I wont ever be able to make an accurate comparison from march, when I began. It sucks. And I don't want any aspiring cross-fade self comparers to mess up like I have.

I don't want this to be the case, but I worry that some of the impressive results elsewhere are similar to mine.

Well, let me know what you think.

-Rick

Posted : 10/10/2019 11:21 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Hi!

very nice crossfades.

How distant do you take the pictures? 

I usually take a lot of different pics every month and compare only the ones with the same angle.

To do this I slightly rotate my head in a way which I can see both eyebrows, so I can evaluate better the angles.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2019 1:37 am
max iller liked
Elwynn
Estimable Member

I have realized this myself over the course of the 6 months that I've been taking pictures. Photos just a day apart will often, upon first glance, show major improvements (despite it being false). You are definitely right that camera distortion is difficult to avoid.

I have since developed a procedure for taking photos which I believe produces fairly reliable photos:

I place my camera (with its timer set) on a shelf, which has on it marked a specific point with a pencil (I always set the camera on this specific point). I then take several steps away from the shelf and towards a point on the floor, which I marked out with tape. The distance is as great as the size of my room allows, which in effect allows the camera to capture my whole body from waist up. Once I'm correctly positioned, I shift my gaze onto a specific point ahead of me, strike the same pose that I always do. The camera then takes a profile picture of me. I try doing this under similar natural-light conditions every several days, and usually take several pictures at any given time so that I can select one, which is the clearest and appears most accurate. This photo I then open in Photoshop on my computer and very carefully overlay onto a set of previous images. I align the picture to the ear, and I take my time doing so, so that there is little to no difference between the ear in between the pictures.

Despite all this, there are still minor discrepancies between the pictures. However, they are small enough that if I were to achieve any substantial progress, they would be recognizable in the pictures. As it happens, I'm seeing what looks to be small but noticeable progress when I compare my most recent photos to my oldest ones. Perhaps I will post them if the changes continue (I want to be absolutely sure that they are legitimate before I spread potential misinformation).

I hope all of that was clear. English isn't my native language.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2019 2:43 am
max iller liked
max iller
Eminent Member

@Kyte

The first ones are from arms length, doing my best to keep the camera level with my head and centred in the shot. I try to get a perfect side on picture, then I line up the top of my ear so it's level with the centre of my eye. Afterwards I use the gridlines on my samsung crop option to make my ear fit into the lines in a regular way. This peasant-tech works well. Just the damn fish-eye effect. 

I'll start taking my photos on an angle, however I'm slightly* obsessed with antefaces lately, I'm always checking to see that my top lip comes forward from the dip between my nose and brow. Would kill to go back, not get braces, and look after my posture better as a kid. Had a bad case of the gamer neck which tightened my shoulders like hell, and I have a habit of gaining muscle, not a good combo when you're developing unevenly in chairs, my ankle mobility is trash too.

Getting ontop of all this, I might be able to move fluidly, I romanticize the physical health of our ancestors pre-agriculture. Now a days I try to avoid chairs best I can, I believe the ability to squat is a large portion of healthy posture, especially resting. But it is so integrated in our culture and nobody talks about it.

@elwynn

Thank's for the detailed reply, what you're saying is definitely a good idea. Making a system for accurate measurement, you've done really well. Wish I took the time back then, if only id go back and slap myself on the back of the head for lack of foresight.

Oh well. Excited to see those pictures when you're confident, the more the merrier, and this whole thing has picked up a lotta steam, people are gonna start hitting the few year marks, and the ones doing it right are gonna be pioneers, really good stuff.

I'm most interested in midface development, I have the jaw, but my f0kin midface concaves my profile, ruins my nose. I'll get on top of standardizing my photos and make a better comparison in the future. I really hope you get the results you're after, if not, then improvements 🙂

Think that we might be some of the first people to get to venture into these pretty untouched waters of esthetic knowledge. Like explorers paving the way for a future of more beautiful people 🙂 Something to be really proud of, at the price of our esteem, for our children.

Take care you two 🙂

-Rrrrricky

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2019 8:01 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Not gonna lie, progress in your case will be minimal at best considering your jaws look quite healthy and well positioned. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2019 10:24 am
max iller
Eminent Member

Hey @EddieMoney

I appreciate your comment

Can you explain more on what you mean? I haven't seen anything that indicates that the development of one feature dictates the progress of another. There are many users here who have the opposite issue and focus mostly on mandibles, and bringing that forward to meet the maxilla.

Why wouldn't the reverse be true? My jaw if anything highlights how developed my midface should be, and I don't believe that my maxilla can't see much progress purely because of forementioned jawline.

If there's something I don't know, I'd love to learn

Thanks Eddie

-Rickoz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2019 5:51 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @maxiller

Hey @EddieMoney

I appreciate your comment

Can you explain more on what you mean? I haven't seen anything that indicates that the development of one feature dictates the progress of another. There are many users here who have the opposite issue and focus mostly on mandibles, and bringing that forward to meet the maxilla.

Why wouldn't the reverse be true? My jaw if anything highlights how developed my midface should be, and I don't believe that my maxilla can't see much progress purely because of forementioned jawline.

If there's something I don't know, I'd love to learn

Thanks Eddie

-Rickoz

Fair. Just don't expect your side profile to change that drastically in your case. Expect your palate to widen (since it seems you may actually benefit from this) and don't even worry if your face gets a bit longer. Are you closer to a Class 2 or 3 Maloclussion if any? You appear quite brachyfacial so don't expect your face to really shorten vertically. Widen, yes. That will help your midface a lot. In your case you may need slight lengthening?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2019 11:38 pm
max iller liked
max iller
Eminent Member

@eddiemoney

I currently have a class 1.

Yea, I need some widening and lengthening of my maxilla. Using my tongue as a reference; It curls down and pushes against my lower front teeth which are behind my top incisors, a very slight overbite that should equal itself out as the lowers tip out to meet them from tongue forces, eliminating the slight overbite? Where previously I was strictly keeping my tongue up on the incisive papilla as most direct, I believe that this is only applicable when your palate is actually long enough to accommodate the tongue, now I believe that my tongue should rest naturally and apply pressure where it should, and not force it up and away from my front teeth when that's where they wanna go.

I misinterpreted your first reply, missed the plural when you said jaws. Lol, silly me. I see that you meant to say now, so thank you 🙂 
Sorry for the dumb reply as a result of my misunderstanding.

Take care man

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2019 6:24 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@maxiller

Yes I figured as it looks like your face would tend to a slight overbite. Engage your posterior third and push out against your canine teeth. This will lengthen your lower vertical height a bit and also push your face outwards. Most progress from mewing btw will be soft tissue changes. Don't expect your bones to drastically move in different directions. But these slight millimeter improvements can result in better facial harmony regardless.

Look at this girl who had a severe overbite and as a result needed slight facial lengthening. Notice the soft tissue changes from 3mm of expansion

It's worth noting she also learned good facial muscle control. Your case isn't like hers but you can see the soft tissue changes regardless. Nose bridge is stronger, chin is stronger, lips are more pouty (even if teeth are set further back). Her total face length increased however. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2019 9:11 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Is anyone scared of people looking over your phone's storage and finding like a hundred side profiles of you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2019 5:48 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@fred

Haha, a friend took a picture of themselves using my phone after I forgot it at their house. They haven't said anything, but I suspect they must have seen hundreds of the nearly-identical profile pictures that I have of myself. They know that I'm weird, though, and we're friends regardless, so I don't really worry about it.

@maxiller

I posted before-after pictures of myself, though they're not very encouraging. Still, feel free to have a look at the thread.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2019 5:55 pm
max iller
Eminent Member

@EddieMoney

Cheers mate, your advice is really useful and I appreciate you taking the time to help me personally. Needless to say I'll take what you're saying to heart and we'll see how I turn out in a few years with this combined knowledge. 

Will try to post accurate pics, lmao

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2019 6:08 pm
max iller
Eminent Member

@fred

we are some fuggin weirdos ay, but privacy is respected usually, im not too worried. lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2019 6:43 pm