NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Occipital Spur from Forward Head Posture  

RSS
Apollo
Reputable Member

Image result for skull spur tech neck

The news has been citing a study from the University of the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia showing younger patients with bony projections at the back of their skulls that they attribute to "tech neck." My understanding is that this is a relatively common finding in older adults and represents dystrophic calcification of the nuchal ligament that attaches to the external occipital protuberance and results from the increased strain of forward head posture. While device use could be a significant contribution to the increased incidence in younger populations, so could compensation for airway restriction due to craniofacial dystrophy.

Posted : 20/06/2019 9:17 pm
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

We know that forward head posture is a symptom of CFD, but do we know if improving head and neck posture actually does anything beneficial for reversing CFD and improving facial aesthetics?

Also, Im wondering how much of CFD can be attributed to poor general body posture. Forward head posture makes the jaw closing muscles unable to recruit properly, so that keeping the mouth shut takes significantly more effort. That certainly doesen't help. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2019 4:16 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

This student in my school would slouch the most submissive beta male, breathe through his mouth, and eat soft food. Long, narrow, roundish face with prey eyes and so on. One example I have in my mind now is how keeping your head back and up can help your tongue exert so much more force compared to when you're slouching and it's needs less effort.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2019 8:25 am