Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Obesity and palatal shape  

RSS
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Those with hooked noses tend to be skinnier than those with upturned noses.  Correlation is not yet explained...but here are some theories:

See https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/lip-seal-and-its-effect-on-the-position-of-the-maxilla/#post-24623 for background on how palate shape and nose shape are related.

Fatter body > higher caloric needs > more use of tongue...since it's a muscle it gets bigger > increased perimeter of teeth  (some orthodontist surmised that fatter people have fatter tongues so that they get a larger perimeter.)

Smelling factories are inhibited > smell less > less hungry > less likely to eat > maxilla underdeveloped > nose undersupported > tends to sag/droop

A more easily seen maxilla perimeter does appear related to weight regardless.  I do think it's that the smell factories are inhibited with a recessed maxillary position.

Another theory:

Airway is made better and less labor to breathe.  Less calories burned at night and so patient gains weight.  Yes - this did happen.

So... although a forward maxilla from the side is attractive (especially for women)... it's something to keep in mind regarding the ideal location of the full dental upper perimeter for health.  No causation yet determined, but a correlation exists.

Posted : 31/08/2019 3:42 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

the tongue is wider when your overweight its a muscle. if ur fat your tongu will have more fat.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2019 10:16 pm
DrMario liked
Agendum
Eminent Member

Here is my own theory on narrow vaulted/narrow palates and obesity:

Less expanded palates restrict the tongue from expanding in all directions, so in order to stimulate the tastebuds better, sugary/salty things need to be more intense to compensate for lack of savoring the flavor of foods with tongue chewing (not enough space to distribute lower intensity flavor foods around the tongue/mouth.)

Many of us would eat less intensely flavored food (like junk foods or refined manufactured foods) if we could  manipulate foods in our mouths better to fully appreciate flavorings.

The softness of junkfood results in even less development of the jaw.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2019 8:00 pm
DrMario
Eminent Member

Yes, I believe there was an article I came across describing the relationship of a fat tongue and obstructive sleep apnea.

When your BMI/body fat percentage increases, the base of the tongue grows which in turn narrows the airway, particularly in the oropharyngeal area. When you lose body fat, it's suggested the tongue's adipose tissue will shrink as well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2019 10:33 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member
Posted by: @drmario

Yes, I believe there was an article I came across describing the relationship of a fat tongue and obstructive sleep apnea.

When your BMI/body fat percentage increases, the base of the tongue grows which in turn narrows the airway, particularly in the oropharyngeal area. When you lose body fat, it's suggested the tongue's adipose tissue will shrink as well. 

Can you give us this study? Sounds interesting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2019 10:44 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member
Posted by: @drmario

no man the fat around the neck makes it harder to breath 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2019 12:02 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@agendum

i agree with you most overweight people eat food that are high in calories and really soft

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2019 12:03 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

https://youtu.be/tnOtQDVAP7I?t=2156

It makes sense to me that the lack of energy brought on by sleeping problems makes people now doing any activities and gain weight. The video I linked, is one my top favorites if not my favorite video on the topic of orthotropics.

I am skinny in many ways, I am a picky eater, and someone who likes to appreciate food by chewing it slowly and until turns into nothing but mush. Absolutely no unchewed pieces of food otherwise I will choke. I developed this habit, because I choked on food with I was younger and so that change was instinctive. Sometimes there are situations where I can't smell what other people are smelling and vice verse, maybe habituation brought on by my room. This is a testimony of a crooked nose.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2019 9:24 pm
DrMario
Eminent Member

@oatmeal

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4173920/

@mr.mewing

It may very well be a combination of both. This is exactly why obese patients are at risk for sleep apnea.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2019 9:14 am