NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

New To The Forums and Looking For General Guidance  

RSS
Emery

Hello everyone.  I am an adult looking to improve my overall health.  I have moderate to severe sleep apnea at the age of 32 and am researching to see if there are possible ways to treat the cause rather than just the symptoms of my condition.  I have had TMD since the age of 14 and there is only scar tissue in the jaw joint on the left.  I also have a class 2 div 2 bite.  I just newly discovered this idea of proper posture and mewing and find it very intriguing.  I have only just started my research, but was wondering if anyone had any pointers in general on how to possibly approach these techniques with the conditions I have?  Especially my malocclusion type.  There does not seem to be much discussion or articles that specifically speak on this issue.  Thanks to anyone who can help me get started in the right direction.  And it is a pleasure to join the community. ☺️♥️

Posted : 09/08/2019 4:02 pm
thebeetle

Just a heads up -- no one is an expert. All the results here are totally anecdotal and only a fraction of what you read may be true. This doesn't stop people from having strong opinions on the subject, even though it should. On the other hand the science is miles behind what people are doing here and will be for a while, so this is all we have.

I have heard of people's jaws stopping clicking, and I've seen photos which convince me personally of maxillary movement in adults. But with your conditions, honestly, no one is going to know, it's all going to be speculation. The upshot of no one knowing is that no one really knows what's possible. Results may vary from person to person, or, maybe it has more to do with effort than anything else. The people who have posted the most dramatic results have always given the project a lot of effort over a long time.

Right now, my best guess is that aggressive postural correction (constant chin tucking when alone) along with hard mewing is the way to go if you want results. That, along with quite a bit of time (a couple years probably.) It's a long-haul kind of thing -- I mean you are trying to stretch and move your bones, and that doesn't happen overnight.

But I don't really know honestly. I'm taking extremely careful pictures of myself and trying to measure any changes over the next year, aligning them literally pixel-by-pixel in the same lighting so as to not fool myself. I assume if I can make small changes, then I can also make big ones, and what would motivate me more than anything else is simply incontrovertible proof that something is happening. I'm chin tucking for a few hours a day and pressing with my tongue pretty much all the time. If I don't see results in a year, I probably won't see them at all.

I'm about your age with a clicky jaw and a small palate. Best of luck to us both.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2019 7:48 am
Emery

@thebeetle

Thanks so much for such a detailed response.  I will keep looking into things further for myself and do a lot of research before I get started.  I wasn't going to take pictures as I was looking more so for making my sleep apnea better, but that actually sounds like a good idea.  I wonder how weight loss may affect them though. I am also trying to get into shape.  Will I be able to discern the difference between weight versus bone remodeling in the pictures?  I am in this for the long haul as I just want to really be as healthy as I possibly can.  Good luck to you as well!  And thank you so much for the advice.  🙂❤️ 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 11:09 pm
thebeetle

@emery

I only suggested you take pictures because they're a clear way to see if you've had maxillary movement specifically, which is ultimately what you're after -- and this movement happens very, very slowly, as bone is broken down and built up again. (People here posting changes after a few months or less are out of their minds.)

If you have the photographic evidence of maxillary movement, even if it's a single solitary millimeter, you will be able to convince yourself of your methods and give yourself a motivational boost to continue down that path.

If you can move only 1mm millimeter in a year, it doesn't sound like much, but that's still 5mm in 5 years, or 10mm in 10 years, which is a dramatic change in physiological function, all as a result of simply changing your tongue posture. Not to mention that the change gets easier with time as your tongue gets stronger, your palate gets wider, and your posture gets better.

I suspect change is possible faster than this. One guy on this forum moved his entire face forward at least a cm in just under two years, dramatically changing his appearance, posture, breathing. His technique was to aggressively chin tuck and hard mew constantly. This is what I'm doing.

There are people on this forum who report no changes with soft mewing. Some do, but they tend to be younger. The data is unreliable right now, it's all just hearsay, but it's all we have. Just FYI.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 7:06 am
Emery

@thebeetle

Ah okay. Gotchya.  I will start recording photos for myself.  I plan to start beginning of next month.  I imagine it will take me some time to have the proper technique down for myself, so won't expect too much in my first year.   Will be interesting to see if there were any changes in the pics in those 12 months though.  I would be pretty happy with 1 mm per year if its possible.  🙂

Good luck with your routine. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 10:23 am
Wellwellwell

@emery

Try to use the cardbox technique to measure your intermolar width too.

It's the easiest relevant thing to measure and you can't cheat yourself with it.

Looking at photos can be deceiving because you may also lose fat percentage or grow a beard.

- Started soft mewing on 12 Feb 2019. Have not seen any real results or changes.
- Starting IMW: 35 mm
- Current IMW: 35 mm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 11:46 am
Emery

@wellwellwell

Ah.  That's a good idea too.  Thanks for the tip. 🙂

lol. Although that would be some magic trick if I could grow a beard.  Apologies.  I forgot to mention I am female. 😆

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 3:50 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

Is anyone sure that 'aggresive chin tucking' is really good for posture? It was originally just an exercise you did to a wall 20 or so times. I don't think that the head should be in that position all day.

Regardless I'm gonna try to do this when I get home.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2019 9:33 am
sinned
Estimable Member

@oatmeal

Chin tucking 100% might not be a good idea. The problem is because the jaws are too far back, by chin tucking we are possibly impinging the airway and the internal jugular vein. however, tongue posture is easier in a chin tuck, at least I find so. What I suggest is to not chin tuck 100%, ie as far back and/or down you can go, chin tuck slightly so that you feel the posterior third of the tongue better, but not so much that you're impinging the airway and internal jugular vein. Also make sure you aren't hinging at the neck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2019 11:17 pm