The Great Work Community Chat
Only logged in users are allowed to enter the chat

Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

My overbite is worsening due to mewing  

RSS
Dominik
Trusted Member

So I have an overbite (had it even after braces) and 3 months ago I had lip seal with relaxed lips. Now I have teeth marks on the lower lip, woke up at night with no lip seal, still mewing and breathing through the nose. IF I relax my lips, there is no lip seal anymore!

Decided to take pictures of the teeth as well from now on to see if I'm accidentally pushing the front teeth at night... although my canines and premolars seem to have moved forwards as well... very odd. I think the maxilla moved forward...

I can feel the incisors on my lower lip -.-, idk if I should be exited about potential maxillary movement or freaked that I was pushing the teeth. I take great care for the tongue to not touch the incisors. EDIT: to add to this, my teeth in general have begun to not fit like they used to when biting together.

What do I do? Continue? This is normal right?

EDIT2: my theory on the hopeful side is that I'm starting to un-crush the front of the face which should move the teeth apart as well to make room and fix the crowding, effectiveley widening my V shaped arch. This Theoretically should reduce maxilary teeth height and combined with some upswing and forward movement allow the mandible to upswing and move forward.

Posted : 18/09/2018 4:33 am
LucaM

I have an overbite / Deep bite too and TMJ (lateral deviation)

When i mew my mandible Will slide to a centered position but teeths Will then only touch on one side of my mouth, but IT could be a muscle question, i mean if your muscles are trained to mantain a bite in a wrong position IT could lead to have Strong muscles on one side and weak on the other side, leading to not fit your bite anymore when in proper tounge position,jjust quesing im not sure at all, i have This problem too.

According to This Mike mew video ( https://youtu.be/GmMKgXnyNH8)

He says that an overbite is caused by the chin and lips pushing the underteeths backward, how do we figure out a proper lip position? If our lip pressure are wrong then we should someway fix IT, just sealing lips as we do normaly wouldnt solve the backward pushing of our underteeths I Think?

I would very appreciate if some experienced user would give us a hint to This 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2018 5:41 am
Dominik liked
Dominik
Trusted Member

My incisors in the mandible are not tilted backwards, they have normal position tilted forwards, maybe a bit too forwards with slight crowding, because my jaws are V shaped not U shaped aka narrow in the front 34 mm inter-canine and wide in the back 46 mm second set of molars and 42 mm first molars. My front teeth meet before my back teeth do and my second set of molars do not touch even when I fully close the bite. The maxilla in the front (first molar to incisors) is narrow, this constricts how the teeth in the mandible can be as well, see pic. The front of the maxilla however is crushed back and down, the back part seems to be up, creating this downwards slope from back to front.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2018 6:24 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Have you expanded ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2018 1:11 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

@dominik i have no idea what could be going on but its probably "progress" something in your bite must be changing and in deep bite cases like ours it seems theres a period where it gets worse before it gets better. my ortho wants to expand the front upper arch because its narrow but i have a wide back like you and if i remember correctly he said once it expands the lower jaw will follow suite but i may have a worse looking bite until the lower jaw remodels after widening the upper front arch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2018 4:34 pm
Dominik liked
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

i think if you got a front expanded itd help u a lot but thats just my opinion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2018 4:35 pm
JFLboyos

That literally means your maxilla is moving forwards...

wait a bit for the mandible to accompany it 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2018 7:38 pm
Dominik
Trusted Member
Posted by: EddieMoney

Have you expanded ?

Not using an expander. I can't just purchase one and fit it myself, the orthodontist also won't do it without full treatment plan.  It does looks like I broke through on monday tho, because I can no longer feel the back molars with the back of the tongue. What I feel now is the soft palette and it looks like I can push the tongue further up (still too weak for that), feels fleshy and I can no longer exert as much pressure as I used to in the back, but I can push harder in the front 2/3 part now.

EDIT: I wasn't just holding the tongue up there all this time tho, I was pushing as hard as I could with a focus on consistency. I almost always feel pressure in the whole upper face bone structure radiating up my forehead.

Rockyp33 I'll continue mewing full force and see what happens.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2018 11:54 pm
LucaM
Posted by: Rockyp33

i think if you got a front expanded itd help u a lot but thats just my opinion

It is safe to expand the frontal arch? I Think i Will need that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2018 2:36 am
LucaM

Does teeths need to be in slighty contact to allow the bite following the upper jaw?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2018 2:37 am
Dominik
Trusted Member
Posted by: LucaM

Does teeths need to be in slighty contact to allow the bite following the upper jaw?

Honestly idk. I assume the mandible expands along with the skull as the maxilla expands, its connected after all. Your molars should be getting straighter since the lower side of the tongue is touching their side as well. You should be chewing mastiha resin tears or fallum gum (tough gums) and at night your jaws should close to prevent mouth breathing. Lip seal contributes to alligning front teeth as well. Through all of this the teeth in the mandible should be slowly adapting to changes in the maxilla/cranium.

Normally while mewing during the day your teeth should be slightly separated 'feather touch'.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2018 4:11 am
alfio liked
Dominik
Trusted Member

Can confirm with certainty now, completely new feeling in my mouth. The tongue expanded the space enough between the first molars to squeeze through. I have full palatal contact and the mewing in the frontal portion of the maxilla has improved significantly aka I have a new and improved tongue position. From the look of the front teeth my maxilla moved at the very least 1 to 2 mm forwards in less than 4 months.

Tbh I have been noticing that a slope has been developing in my face between the bottom of the eyes and the bottom of the nose, as if my face were rotating up. Also my left cheek is hollowing out :S but the right side is not fml. Hopefully my mutation into a one sided chipmunk is temporary.

I'll post a picture of the teeth in contact later today.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2018 7:55 am
LucaM

When i put the tounge on Fullrate palate my mandible Will rotate in the proper central position but my teeths are then way offentlige, what should i do?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2018 8:20 am
Dominik
Trusted Member

Ok, picture of me with current bite. You can see just how far forward the maxilla is... it was never this forward. The relationship between the teeth has not changed since before I started mewing and the canines moved along with the incisors and the premolars... so I doubt its tipping as I'm really careful not to touch the incisors with the tongue.

EDIT: right... just noticed if I mew with a closed bite.... by back molars seperate and I feel the mandible go up in the front a bit. [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] they didn't do that before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2018 10:44 am
Dominik
Trusted Member

😛 I can still undrbite tho with ease and comfort, so idk, I think it needs to move more and the front arch needs to widen. See attached pic. See the deal with my overbite is that contrary to popular opinion, it is NOT forward enough. My molars in the mandible, when my teeth met are half a tooth further back than the molars in the maxilla, because I can't let the mandible drift forward due to the maxilla constricting it's advancement.

A orthodontist (my orthodontist) would have pulled my premolars to "make room" in the front and pull those teeth back, which would have been permenanet damage instead of a real fix. Which is why I still ahve all my premolars and the overbite.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2018 10:45 am
Dominik
Trusted Member
Posted by: LucaM

When i put the tounge on Fullrate palate my mandible Will rotate in the proper central position but my teeths are then way offentlige, what should i do?

Continue mewing. Over time your mandible should adjust. Maybe do not chew gum if its that misaligned. My mandible also shifts 3 mm to the left if I bite my teeth together 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2018 10:47 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

i think im in a very similar situation as you dominik im goign to get my front upper arch expanded and ill let you guys know the results. Also ive notice that when force an underbite now its very easy and its not very straining compared to before probably doesnt mean anything

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2018 1:59 am
Dominik liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Forcing an underbite does not mean much considering it is caused by downward growth as it is. For me I feel progress when I force an underbite but the space between lower and upper incisors is decreasing. As in the mandible does not jut out as far as before.

How are you expanding your front arch @Rockyp33?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2018 10:40 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

some appliance from this functional Ortho hes well aware of mike mews work hes wrote a lot of books although he doesn't believe modern humans  mouth is meant to hold 36 teeth or however many we have  im not sure why he thinks that though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2018 11:03 pm
catirl

BUMP, Did u fix something about your overbite ? @dominik

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/12/2018 1:45 pm
VrxUd

Bump, how it is now? i have rhe same exact problem as you, is it resolved now?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2019 10:17 pm
Franco

bump

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2019 12:00 am
dtho
 dtho

When I place my tongue on the roof of my mouth, my lower teeth get pulled backwards. If mewing is supposed to help correct the overbite, why is this happening. I can't place my tongue on thereof properly without my lower teeth needing to be pulled backwards.

Someone please help me understand this and how I can change it for the better

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/05/2019 9:22 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Please Login or Register