fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

my ortho wants to use a sagittal device should i do it?

Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
500+ Forum Posts

my ortho wants to use Sagittal device to expand and also procline my upper front teeth and arch do you think I should go through with this?

Topic starter Posted : 23/08/2018 7:27 am
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
500+ Forum Posts

@eddiemoney @apollo what do you guys think?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/08/2018 1:33 am
Apollo
(@apollo)
500+ Forum Posts

When I've written in the past comparing transverse expansion to sagittal expansion, I've warned that dental tipping rather than skeletal changes might be more likely with sagittal expanders. Since the midpalatal suture can contribute to transverse expansion but the premaxillary suture is fused in adults, forward skeletal changes would have to come from bone remodeling (or from separation of other cranial sutures beyond the forces of the expander pushing on the maxilla only). In your case, you want to procline your incisors, so some dental tipping is desirable, although it's possible you might also cause some backward tipping of the posterior teeth as the expander will apply force in both directions. Generally, since you want to procline your incisors anyway, I'd go ahead with the treatment plan if you trust your provider. Although you might want to read about Ronny Ead's complications with a sagittal expander here:  https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/cautionary-palate-expander-case/#

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2018 8:59 am
Rockyp33 liked
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
500+ Forum Posts

He did that without an ortho correct? And it seems he had a very unique case from what I heard. Idk I do trust this ortho he knows of mew and he’s a functional ortho I just hope this will allow my lower mandible to come forward

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/08/2018 6:25 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
500+ Forum Posts

He did that without an ortho correct? And it seems he had a very unique case from what I heard. Idk I do trust this ortho he knows of mew and he’s a functional ortho I just hope this will allow my lower mandible to come forward

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/08/2018 6:25 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: Rockyp33

He was being treated by a functional orthodontist in another state. I'm not sure how frequently he traveled for appointments. It's possible some of these side effects could have been avoided if he was under closer supervision.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2018 12:13 am
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
500+ Forum Posts

@apollo welll let shope that doesn’t happen to me ...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/08/2018 2:10 am
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
500+ Forum Posts

@apollo welll let shope that doesn’t happen to me ...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/08/2018 2:10 am

THE GREAT WORK