Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

My new blog: What additional topics would you like to see covered?  

RSS
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Happy New Year.

I have been wanting to make a new blog about orthodontics and posture for a while and kept delaying it until December when I had to get my act together. Now the blog is up with 4 posts explaining Craniofacial Dystrophy and how to understand facial forward growth and recession. 

The posts are written to be comprehensive. When I started researching Orthotropics 2 years ago I had a very hard time finding complete references. Everything was spread out in so many videos, posts, forum topics, etc. 

It just took way too long to find answers and even then they were not complete. So my idea from making this blog is to gather as much of this information as I can in one place and present it in an easy to understand way.

As mentioned, there are currently 4 topics posted, mainly about theory. I will be adding 1 more topic about Orthtorpics and Dr. John Mew and that will conclude the theory portion. From there I will focus on application, such as how to posture the tongue, swallow, correct neck posture, etc.

I kind of have an idea what topics I want to cover, but would also like to hear from you. What topics would you like to see covered?

The blog's link is: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/ and there is box where you can subscribe to receive notifications of new posts by email. A confirmation link will be sent to you, but most likely you will find it in your spam folder. You have to click on it to get subscribed.

I look forward to hearing from you!

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

Posted : 01/01/2019 5:20 am
a1d0u5_hux1ey, Mewb, Apollo and 5 people liked
Slinky
Trusted Member

Great posts man, keep 'em comin!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2019 6:02 am
t43 liked
Ayla31
Trusted Member

Happy new year

I would find it interesting, if you explain how different muscle disorganisations and body misalignments can cause different malocclusions. Like, for example, why some  people with anterior open bites have a moon shape/ concave profile, while others do not. Or how both class II and class III maloclussions are associated with lower tongue position and mouth breathing, yet look so different.

Or why some people with recessed faces have wide/normal intermolar width.

I'm trying to express the suggestion, but my english is not perfect, so I hope you understand what I mean.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your knowledge with more people in a comprehensible way!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2019 7:10 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

Maybe make a post about why orthodontics in many cases damage the face?

Also, I would highly recommend you capitalise your blog title (My Posture and Orthodontics Blog).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2019 8:08 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Slinky

Great posts man, keep 'em comin!

Thanks, the next posts will be about:

• Dr. John Mew's Orthotropics and the impact it had on children Orthodontics (uploaded)
  • Dr. Mike Mew vision for fixing adult faces (started)

After that I will get into the details of adult mewing including a post for:

• Tongue Posture
  • Swallowing (90% complete)
  • Body Posture Correction

And then wrap it up with a post about what to expect from adult mewing and a guide to all the important videos from Dr. Mike Mew.

Then move to alternative methods such as:

• FAGGA (put on hold for more research)
  • MRSPE
  • Surgery

And other interesting topics such as the ones being suggested here.

ReplyQuote
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Ayla31

I would find it interesting, if you explain how different muscle disorganisations and body misalignments can cause different malocclusions. Like, for example, why some  people with anterior open bites have a moon shape/ concave profile, while others do not. Or how both class II and class III maloclussions are associated with lower tongue position and mouth breathing, yet look so different.

Or why some people with recessed faces have wide/normal intermolar width.

Some of those topics are above my current level of knowledge but they are definitely interesting and worth exploring. I will make sure to keep them in mind.

Posted by: Pame

Maybe make a post about why orthodontics in many cases damage the face?

Also, I would highly recommend you capitalise your blog title (My Posture and Orthodontics Blog).

Yeah that's an important topic and I might be able to cover it sufficiently enough in the next post about Dr. John Mew Orthotropics.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2019 9:47 am
Ayla31 liked
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

Big fan so far, keep it up!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2019 1:03 pm
James
Eminent Member

Great work, I'll be sharing with friends and family.

In all the posts except the first, there are placeholders for pictures where the picture didn't make it in.

Topics I'm especially interested in:

• FAGGA (since I have one)
  • Analysis of FRLA vs other transverse expansion methods (you mentioned to me that it mostly achieves alveolar remodeling, which may not be stable)... which appliances cause primary dentoalveolar remodeling, and which cause full skeletal remodeling?
  • Potential improvement to nasopharyngeal airway, nasal passages, and turbinate swelling. One of Anne Maree Cole's cases from this presentation includes a guy who experienced widening nasal passages with FAGGA, and I am hoping for this result because I have chronic rhinitis and sinusitis that shows up on my scans. Though I am confused about the mechanisms by which palate expanders would change the nasal area.
  • Potential results of just Mewing in adults
  • The Mews and other Orthotropics practitioners seem to be very cagey and evasive about what results orthotropics, and appliances / face mask / face bow, can achieve in adults. The Mews argue that it will take a lot of myofunctional work, which is a given. But this response is super frustrating, because what adults want to know what results they could get if they put in the effort to do their part with Mewing. When I emailed a local orthotropics practitioner asking about potential growth in adults with the Homeoblock and Face Bow that she uses, her answer was "Adult expansion is possible but AP changes are very limited, unless surgery is considered," which didn't really answer my questions and sounded unconfident. In contrast, LVI is anti-surgery and believes that AGGA can address the antero-posterior deficiency (which is why I went with AGGA). So my main question is, are there successful adult orthotropics cases, and are orthotropics practitioners being too modest and under-promising? Or is adult orthotropics less successful and behind AGGA right now? Because it's really confusing to come from a Mewing background, and then get mixed messages about whether orthotropics can help adults who need expansion or whether you should go for another approach instead.
  • In-depth on the DNA and ALF appliances
  • Sagittal expansion of maxilla (like FAGGA) vs maxillary protraction (FM)... is there a difference and when would it matter?
  • Comparison of different appliances, and which might be good for people in which situations (how much growth someone needs in sagittal and transverse dimension). There is a big difference between someone like me (class II, 10-tooth smile, decent zygos, 7-10mm retruded maxilla and mandible pushed into neck) vs someone who is class III with a transversely collapsed maxilla.

Obviously this is a lot of stuff that I won't expect you to cover.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2019 4:24 pm
Mewb liked
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: drunkwithcoffee

Big fan so far, keep it up!

Thanks, will do.

Posted by: James

Great work, I'll be sharing with friends and family.

In all the posts except the first, there are placeholders for pictures where the picture didn't make it in.

Topics I'm especially interested in:

• FAGGA (since I have one)............................

Thanks, yes I still can't find the main picture I want to use for that topic. Its proving very difficult to find pictures. If anyone can help in this and in finding pictures that illustrate the topic of orthodontic in general that would be greatly appreciated. 

I find your questions great, in fact they are what makes a great post. Answering them does not require a separate topic for each one, instead they can be covered in one or two posts where they keep the flow of ideas going.

I already include some of those things in the FAGGA post I am completing.

If you have any other ideas please keep them coming.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2019 9:45 pm
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

Temporarily pinned to top of forum.

Excellent work @Abdulrahman we look forward to seeing more!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2019 12:34 pm
Mewb
 Mewb

The blog is great bro, I'm looking forward to your AGGA post as hopefully it can condense the thread and give people quick answers such as cost, length of time etc. I think you should also cover MSE/MARPE in general and obviously the surgical options.

Honestly I think cost should be the focus as I'm sure most of us here are rather young and can't afford to fly around the world to find an orthodontist that has actually trained with the MSE (especially in Europe where it is rare as fk) 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 5:04 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: TGW

Temporarily pinned to top of forum.

Excellent work @Abdulrahman we look forward to seeing more!

Thanks, I really appreciate the sticky!

Posted by: Mewb

The blog is great bro, I'm looking forward to your AGGA post as hopefully it can condense the thread and give people quick answers such as cost, length of time etc. I think you should also cover MSE/MARPE in general and obviously the surgical options.

Honestly I think cost should be the focus as I'm sure most of us here are rather young and can't afford to fly around the world to find an orthodontist that has actually trained with the MSE (especially in Europe where it is rare as fk) 

Thanks, yes that's the main goal of the Fagga topic. I am debating weather to add to it additional information that I learned recently.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 9:29 am
Mewb liked
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

The newest post Why are jaws growing smaller if humans are growing larger? is now up. I did a little detour around the Orthotropic post and posted this one first because I had allot of ideas that I wanted to incorporate in the previous post but could not. Sometimes adding information disrupts the flow of ideas, so I chose to keep it for a separate post.

This one might seem a little technical but still interesting. If you have no time to read the whole thing skip directly to the section titled The Tongue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 9:33 am
Mewb liked
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

@abdulrahman What is your opinion on tongue ties? Are they real and if so what causes them and what should be done about them?

It just seems weird to me that theres such a common defect in nature inhibiting people from having something as essential as proper oral posture. I mean surely tongue ties did not exist 10 000 years ago? Wouldn't it make sense if tongue ties are caused by a lack of use of the tongue?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 1:58 pm
Mewb
 Mewb

@abdulrahman As someone that is currently residing in Asia this blog post speaks volumes about jaw and maxilla growth. Maloclusion here is sky-high which is no doubt a result of a diet lacking in hard foods.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/01/2019 1:08 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Pame

@abdulrahman What is your opinion on tongue ties? Are they real and if so what causes them and what should be done about them?

It just seems weird to me that theres such a common defect in nature inhibiting people from having something as essential as proper oral posture. I mean surely tongue ties did not exist 10 000 years ago? Wouldn't it make sense if tongue ties are caused by a lack of use of the tongue?

They are defiantly real, and usually can be distinguished with a tongue that looks like this.

I don't know much about their cause, but there is a treatment where the tie is severed and then the patient stretches the tongue for few weeks until it heals without the tie.

I read in one article that kinds are being overly diagnosed with this condition. I plan to include it among the reasons that make mewing difficult. 

Posted by: Mewb

@abdulrahman As someone that is currently residing in Asia this blog post speaks volumes about jaw and maxilla growth. Maloclusion here is sky-high which is no doubt a result of a diet lacking in hard foods.

yup, and also a result of bottle feeding and nasal blockage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2019 10:08 am
Mewb liked
James
Eminent Member

Here is a very basic topic that I run into with my friends:

Why is the maxilla so important relative to the mandible? People have a bias where they perceive the midface to be normal, and they take it for granted because of forward head posture. So they can notice a retruded mandible, but not a retruded maxilla. Likewise with a Roman nose: they perceive the problem with nose, rather than the maxilla. Or a gummy smile.

A similar question I got from a friend was "wouldn't Mewing cause an overbite to increase if it succeeds in moving the maxilla forwards?"

The key principles for newbies to understand are why the maxilla is the driver of craniofacial dystrophy, and how it limits the position and development of the mandible and causes TMJ compression.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2019 1:20 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

The newest post Case Analysis: Recessed Versus Forward Faces is up with lots of illustrations comparing both face types using this popular example.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2019 6:41 am
James
Eminent Member

Great post... one thing to add is that many people will have trouble placing the facial plane when the head is tilted. The Frankfort plane can be used to compensate for head rotation. It is drawn from the porion (around the tragus in soft tissue) through the lower orbital rim. Then the facial plane can be constructed perpendicular through the nasion.

The main problems with this approach:

• Estimating the lower orbital rim in soft tissue involves some subjectivity
  • Some people have deeper or shallower nasions, which shifts the entire plane. This underrates the maxillas of people with forward nasions (see Paul Newman on the right in my image).

However, overall I do think the facial plane analysis is still pretty good. It definitely shows the problems with my profile. I have a shallow nasion, and still most of my lower third is behind the plane.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2019 1:50 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

That being said I haven’t seen enough examples of this treatment on adults. There is only one case briefly presented on Won Moon PDF and it seems to treat a class 3 case.

@abdulrahman what "Won Moon PDF" are you referencing in this comment to the blog post?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2019 3:27 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Here is a very basic topic that I run into with my friends:

Why is the maxilla so important relative to the mandible? People have a bias where they perceive the midface to be normal, and they take it for granted because of forward head posture. So they can notice a retruded mandible, but not a retruded maxilla. Likewise with a Roman nose: they perceive the problem with nose, rather than the maxilla. Or a gummy smile.

A similar question I got from a friend was "wouldn't Mewing cause an overbite to increase if it succeeds in moving the maxilla forwards?"

The key principles for newbies to understand are why the maxilla is the driver of craniofacial dystrophy, and how it limits the position and development of the mandible and causes TMJ compression.

I think I allude to this issue with people always noticing the lower jawline first, though the topic does deserve a dedicated post.

Great post... one thing to add is that many people will have trouble placing the facial plane when the head is tilted. The Frankfort plane can be used to compensate for head rotation. It is drawn from the porion (around the tragus in soft tissue) through the lower orbital rim. Then the facial plane can be constructed perpendicular through the nasion.

The main problems with this approach:

• Estimating the lower orbital rim in soft tissue involves some subjectivity
  • Some people have deeper or shallower nasions, which shifts the entire plane. This underrates the maxillas of people with forward nasions (see Paul Newman on the right in my image).

However, overall I do think the facial plane analysis is still pretty good. It definitely shows the problems with my profile. I have a shallow nasion, and still most of my lower third is behind the plane.

Yes the points you bring are correct and I discussed most of them in the previous post about measuring facial growth. Though I am not sure about the shallow vs deep nasion comment.

In the sample you attached the Frankfort plane on the left guy is incorrect, it's too high in the orbital rim.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2019 11:19 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Apollo

That being said I haven’t seen enough examples of this treatment on adults. There is only one case briefly presented on Won Moon PDF and it seems to treat a class 3 case.

@abdulrahman what "Won Moon PDF" are you referencing in this comment to the blog post?

This one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2019 11:20 am
Apollo liked
megamandude
Trusted Member

Maybe an interesting topic to cover is how skeletal deformities (such as pectus excavatum and scoliosis) affect body posture and if they are caused genetically or from bad posture? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2019 9:22 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: megamandude

Maybe an interesting topic to cover is how skeletal deformities (such as pectus excavatum and scoliosis) affect body posture and if they are caused genetically or from bad posture? 

Absolutely, I plan to cover the relation between body posture and malocclusion in the future. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2019 11:13 pm
ani3000
Eminent Member

I think there is a lack of information for expanding of the lower arch.

What are the available ways to do this etc. This is something I can hardly find info about

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2019 10:50 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: ani3000

What are the available ways to do this etc. This is something I can hardly find info about

I agree and I think there is allot of confusion being created by doctors using different terms interchangeably such as speaking of growth instead of remodeling, or speaking of expanding the jaw instead of the alveolar ridge.

Words such as the "palate" and "arch" are used casually even though they can refer to different things. That is in part why I made my blog to sort through as much of this mess as possible.

There will be future posts describing things such as the skeletal vs alveolar portion of the jaws, growth vs remodeling, upper vs lowers jaws, etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2019 1:41 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: ani3000

Braces!  😬

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2019 5:09 pm
JTDolan
Posted by: Abdulrahman

Happy New Year.

I have been wanting to make a new blog about orthodontics and posture for a while and kept delaying it until December when I had to get my act together. Now the blog is up with 4 posts explaining Craniofacial Destroy and how to understand facial forward growth and recession. 

The posts are written to be comprehensive. When I started researching Orthotropics 2 years ago I had a very hard time finding complete references. Everything was spread out in so many videos, posts, forum topics, etc. 

It just took way too long to find answers and even then they were not complete. So my idea from making this blog is to gather as much of this information as I can in one place and present it in an easy to understand way.

As mentioned, there are currently 4 topics posted, mainly about theory. I will be adding 1 more topic about Orthtorpics and Dr. John Mew and that will conclude the theory portion. From there I will focus on application, such as how to posture the tongue, swallow, correct neck posture, etc.

I kind of have an idea what topics I want to cover, but would also like to hear from you. What topics would you like to see covered?

The blog's link is: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/ and there is box where you can subscribe to receive notifications of new posts by email. A confirmation link will be sent to you, but most likely you will find it in your spam folder. You have to click on it to get subscribed.

I look forward to hearing from you!

10/10 blog

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2019 9:54 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

The newest post titled: What is Orthotropics and how is it different than Orthodontics is up. The link to the post is:

http://www.aljabri.com/blog/what-is-orthotropics/

It took me forever to finish this post as I did the mistake of trying to include too much information in it. After 5 rough drafts I realized I had to break it into two and that's when everything started flowing. Also, the latest video about Nicola made things allot easier to present.

I think it's the most impressive result of Dr. John Mew and I could not deiced on a hero case until her case was presented in the video. Along with Ben and Quintin twin comparison those form balk of the Orthotropic evidence in this post.

For people who are new to the whole "mewing" topic this post can really help you understand what Orthotropics is about. For people who are well versed it will probably be a little basic.

The next post will be about how Dr. John Mew was inspired to invent Orthotropics and why the orthodontic establishment has turned it's back on him.

One note, if you wan to to use the graphic above please give credit by linking to my post as I created it along with few other things on the blog.

Posted by: JTDolan

10/10 blog

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the new post.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/05/2019 6:16 am
Roflcopters
Trusted Member

Very nice posts man. Appreciate this well written content. 

Keep going. 

I think what lacks most here in the forums is sort of a concise official thread on what the different options people have for expansion. Maybe divided by time, effectiveness, price and risks. I'd do that but I lack the knowledge. 

Mse and fagga etc are all exceptional but they re not available everywhere and are very expensive. What about other devices? 

I feel like most people here are kinda left in the dark due to  not having any additional options, not that it's your fault or any1s. and start believing/doing thumb pulling and stuff like that which, in my opinion, might just be dangerous?

So yeah I'd like to see like a wrap up sort of thread talking about different appliances that are proven to work for expansion etc. Just so people can search for something in specific, rather than searching for just something. You know what I mean?

I'll help if you need. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/05/2019 9:15 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Roflcopters

Keep going. 

I think what lacks most here in the forums is sort of a concise official thread on what the different options people have for expansion. Maybe divided by time, effectiveness, price and risks. I'd do that but I lack the knowledge. 

Mse and fagga etc are all exceptional but they re not available everywhere and are very expensive. What about other devices? 

I feel like most people here are kinda left in the dark due to  not having any additional options, not that it's your fault or any1s. and start believing/doing thumb pulling and stuff like that which, in my opinion, might just be dangerous?

So yeah I'd like to see like a wrap up sort of thread talking about different appliances that are proven to work for expansion etc. Just so people can search for something in specific, rather than searching for just something. You know what I mean?

I'll help if you need. 

That's why I made the blog to provide a resource for people in this situation.

Regarding help the one area where I can benefit is when searching for pictures and making illustrations. This process can take allot of time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/05/2019 11:01 pm
Roflcopters
Trusted Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman
Posted by: Roflcopters

Keep going. 

I'll help if you need. 

That's why I made the blog to provide a resource for people in this situation.

Regarding help the one area where I can benefit is when searching for pictures and making illustrations. This process can take allot of time.

Pm me if you need help doing that than. I have alot of interest in this topic so i might aswell.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2019 11:21 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

The latest post titled: Why is Orthodontics against Orthotropics? is up. The link to the post is:

http://www.aljabri.com/blog/why-is-orthodontics-against-orthotropics/

This post might be interesting to some who like to delve deeper into the issue between the orthodontics establishment and Dr. John Mew. It builds on the previous post so if you have not read that check it out first to better understand this one.

With this post I am done with Orthotropics, craniofacial dystrophy, and everything relating to their theory. Now I can turn my attention to "mewing". I will cover this topic including tongue posture and swallowing in several posts over the coming 2 months.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2019 7:12 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

The latest post titled: Does Orthotropics work for adults? is up. The link to the post is:

http://www.aljabri.com/blog/does-orthotropics-work-for-adults/

Its a short post that I thought to add because the previous two posts did not answer this question directly.

PS. Does anyone have an idea for a cover picture for this post?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2019 10:05 am
Freddie
Eminent Member

I may sound a little bit rude but it will be better if you was clearly saying what you mean by adult in your post. Orthotropics is a really unclear (new) science and have almost no serious specific studies yet, we have seen adults in their 20's getting almost better result than some child. From someone who had a personnal experience with no spectacular result and who is in his last 30's I think that your answer was predictable. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2019 1:26 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Freddie

I may sound a little bit rude but it will be better if you was clearly saying what you mean by adult in your post. Orthotropics is a really unclear (new) science and have almost no serious specific studies yet, we have seen adults in their 20's getting almost better result than some child. From someone who had a personnal experience with no spectacular result and who is in his last 30's I think that your answer was predictable. 

No I don't think you are rude, but I think you are misinformed on the subject and engaging in contradictions. Without derailing this thread I will say if you check the previous two posts on the blog about Orthotropics you will know why. And since you mentioned the issue of science research, I would like to point out that Dr. John Mew did his part but the orthodontic establishment didn't. Come to think about it I will add a video link about this subject to the previous blog post.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2019 12:11 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Freddie

but it will be better if you was clearly saying what you mean by adult in your post.

I just added an illustration with some text addressing your comment. You can read it below:

Growth starts in the womb and ends around 18-20 years of age, but comes in different stages. The cranium (forehead part of the face) stops growing at 7, the maxilla (upper jaw) at 12, and the mandible (lower jaw) slows down considerably at 14 but continues until 18 to 20 years old.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2019 1:43 am