Forum

Please Note: The Users of this site are not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual reader. The ideas, procedures, and suggestions contained within this work are not intended as a substitute for examination by your medical practitioner.

My journey to widen my maxilla without a orthodontist  

RSS
Cassius
(@cassius)
Eminent Member

At age 19 I started my 2 year orthodontist treatment that didn't solve any problema and costed me 4500 euros. I started studying Mike's Mew theories and now, after 8 months of proper mewing, I want to start widenind my maxilla.

Now I have a intermolar width of 33.7mm, very hard for me to place my tongue on the top of the mouth during night. Almost imposible.

I now have my device ready made by a laboratory but nobody of the 10 orthodontist that I have contacted wants to install it.

[img][/img]

Is it hard to install it by my self? Dam I'm already 26 and ****ed by sleep apnea. Help please.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 5:39 pm
mscottxy
(@mscottxy)

take before and after xrays and make sure its your maxilla/palate widening and not just molar flaring

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 5:49 pm
Cassius
(@cassius)
Eminent Member

ok thanks. I had x rays last week, I'm ready to start but nobody wants to install it. They all want to take as much money as they can from me by "studing the case". Same answer to more tan 10 phonecalls now...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 6:06 pm
test151515
(@test151515)
Eminent Member

I think the DNA appliance, the Biobloc stage 1, the Homeoblock appliance, or the ALF appliance would be a better choices for palatal expansion. The ALF works more slowly than the other devices but allows for better tongue involvement in the process.

However, I believe most palatal expanders can work well assuming you do not expand rapidly. Expand at a slow or a semislow rate. What this means in numbers I do not have in my head right now, google it.

I really hope you can find a way to expand your dental arches. There are many documented cases of adults expanding their palates using devices such as the ones listed above. In particular the DNA appliance I believe have many recently documented cases. So there should be plenty of information you can find and provide to doctors so that they understand it is very possible to achieve even in adults. There are studies published in peer reviewed journals that prove that it is possible, these are probably the ones you might want to show to the doctors you want to convince.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 6:20 pm
Keengo
(@keengo)
Estimable Member

I'm wondering this too. I can't afford these things professionally, but I would have no idea how to set one up myself and use it if I were to buy the expander itself. Maybe some "underground dentist" can help me figure that out? LOL. It seems this is a hard trick to skip without professional help.

** The face pulling "bag method" -- https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/face-pulling/#post-3902 **

** Keengo Chin Tuck method w/force (WIP)-- https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/chin-tuck-with-added-force-chin-tuck-2-0-new-theory-inside/ **

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2018 6:50 pm
Cassius
(@cassius)
Eminent Member

Here I'am. I finally managed to modify the device and made it a removable expander. I already made 3 turns of expansion (0.75mm) and I measured an expansion of my intermolar widht of about 0.4 mm. The modified defice is not very confortable and I'm trying to wear it as much as I can, at least 6 hours a day. I also tryed to sleep with it and made it 4/5 nights. I used a hold retainer that I used after the orthodontic treatment, two different glues and a cutter to define it and make as little as possible. Expansion started day 20 of may.

How fast can I go? I was thinking about 1mm a month.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 5:37 pm
Cassius
(@cassius)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 5:48 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)
Honorable Member

I would be concerned about the toxicity of these glues. Be careful. It is easy to cause more harm than good!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 6:09 pm Rockyp33 liked
Apollo
(@apollo)
Honorable Member

@admin has been dissuading people from attempting unsupervised palate expansion because of the risks: 

Posted by: TGW

I personally would have done the same if I had not stopped using the expander altogether. 

Be very very very careful with the areas that you are experiencing irritation with the mucosa - it is a very thin wedge of flesh between the expander acrylic and the teeth roots. The roots of the teeth are not soft -they're the exact same as the rest of the tooth, just under the gums. So the places where you have irritation of the mucosa are being pressed between two hard surfaces - be careful.

Another user contacted me about how they were feeling irritation in one area, and then one day noticed that they had accidentally wore through the gum and had exposed a tiny bit of the root of their molar.

After keeping the expander out for a week the gums began to heal, but it took over a month to repair fully - but they were young (high 20s) so they had that capability.  That user promised me they'd stop using the expander, and after that I now push for tongue posture above all else and do not recommend any new users attempt using an expander. 

Maybe the "Adult Palate Expansion Progress" article should be updated with a warning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 8:14 pm
Cassius
(@cassius)
Eminent Member

I take the risk anyway. For the moment I have no other chance to do it because of the place where I live and the job situation. I just want to take from 2 to 3 mm with this device and then stop for a while and try to order a myobrace.

The toxicity of glue is taken in count and for the moment it doesnt seem to be an issue. No strange reaction of my body.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 8:42 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)
Honorable Member

I admire your determination, and I know how it can feel like a couple mm are make-or-break for tongue posture since I started with about the same intermolar width. I just wonder if you could have embedded the metal framework into parts of a thermoplastic mouthguard or some other non-toxic material. Does it press against your alveolar ridge or just your teeth? I'm concerned about how uncomfortable you say it is. Is the discomfort in your teeth or gums? If you start having side effects like teeth tipping, gum recession, and ulcers, please don't ignore the warnings signs! Here is a case where removable expanders caused more harm than good even with professional supervision:

https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/cautionary-palate-expander-case/#

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 10:49 pm
Cassius
(@cassius)
Eminent Member

Keep going. I had an half turn (0.125mm) on 5th of june and another today, so I'm now at 1mm of expansion, my goal is to expand 2mm and then try to mantein the results and see what appens.

No pain, sometimes I have disconfort chewing, on my teeth I have the same kind of sensations that I had wearing braces years ago. My upper incisor also give me some signals, this could be a proove that something is appening in my maxilla bone. Anyway I'm sure that most of the movement will be teeth tipping but this is not bad because I need it to.

2mm of real expansion by the end of the year would be a great success for me, but I'm sure that the only way to get results is to find a good orthodontist that expands my maxilla with a fixed expander.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2018 5:55 pm
Shane
(@shane)

Awesome diy approach. 

1. I echo Apollo's concern regarding toxicity. Perhaps do a little extra research and possibly supplement with something that might help offset the health effects. I know you don't feel anything, but that doesn't mean bad things aren't happening.

2. Go slow. Everywhere I read they recommend going slow in order for new bone to grow, otherwise the results will only be temporary.

Good luck! I think someone as determined as you will have success.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2018 6:31 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register