Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

My jawline became less defined

ovo
 ovo

I've been mewing for several months without seeing any changes. Then I started using suction and after a few months I noticed that my digastric muscles have hypertrophied. Now I have bulges on two sides under my jaw, creating an almost double chin and making my jaw look rounded from the front. I assume it is caused by improper suction hold. Now I just want to reverse this. How can I atrophy these muscles? What should I do? Plese help me...

Topic starter Posted : 14/03/2020 8:38 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

Mind posting pics of your neck before and after this issue?

Did you chin tuck, btw? Was it hard mewing or soft mewing that you did?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2020 12:50 pm
qwerty135
Eminent Member

Are you sure it's your digastric muscle being activated when you are suction holding? Try suction holding and put your finger under your jaw and see if a muscle presses out and is extremely taut. If so it's your anterior digastric muscle. I don't get it activated when I suction hold so just want to make sure that it's your digastric muscle and not something else.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2020 4:08 pm
ovo
 ovo

@azrael

It's only really visible from a specific angle or in specific lighting, I would need to find a good before picture. I did soft mewing and didn't chin tuck.

@qwerty135

Honestly, I'm not sure. I assumed it's the case because there have been people with the same issue and that's what they said it is. I can see and feel it move a little with my finger when I suck against the palate while swallowing but it doesn't get bigger.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2020 5:15 pm
max iller
Eminent Member

This is a regular part of strengthening your tongue and its related muscles. If you atrophied back to how you were you'd be in the same position pre-mewing. You want to keep that strength. Your muscles may be adjusting to a healthy mass that doesn't yet fit the skeletal form of your head. Hence it may look unusual. This is purely conjecture, but hear me out. I have the same issue when in a comfortable position, ie. Teeth naturally occluding, few mm apart, jaw set back in short maxilla. But when I jut my jaw forward the bulge on the bottom evens out, albeit I have a well developed lower jaw (relatively), the forward position looks much better for the stronger hypertrophied tongue musculature, which makes me think this is how forward my jaw should/would be had my habits nurtured a well developed palate that fits my tongue.

This is just me though, but I'm with you in that losing some of the jaw definition sucks but it's part of the process of restructuring in my personal philosophy. So I can live with it while I improve.

On more positive notes this is a sign that you've actually made improvements and achieved some level of change, and since muscles always win out over bones in the long run, you're doing great. Strong muscles under your jaw may be part of the puzzle of mandible expansion. When I tense those muscles as hard as I can, I get weird tingling around my bottom incisors, this may be nothing of note, but the idea that the muscle mass under the mandible expanding the skeleton is no different to the tongue expanding the palate, imo. Anyway, just a thought.

Good luck 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2020 6:52 am