Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

My experience with mewing  

RSS
Captain Horatio Hornblower
Eminent Member

I found this site some time ago and I' ve read many topics on here, it's very interesting. So I wanted to share with you my experience with mewing. First some things about me , I'm 20 years old, started mewing 2 years ago,  I've been a mouthbreather during my development years and I've always had a very bad posture (my brother jokingly used to call me "Hunchback of [city where I lived]", my father tried many times to correct it but unsuccessfully, I should have listened to him). This has given me some bad features such as mild bimax protrusion, recessed chin, high gonial angle, dorsal hump, very sloped forehead, long midface, the usual stuff. After mewing this is what I've noticed: opened airways (I can breathe through my nose without problems whereas before mewing my nose felt like "blocked"), increased nasolabial angle (my lips protrude much less now, before mewing I remember I never wanted to clean shave because my lips were too "exposed" , I looked a bit like an ape, now it's much balanced, I look more youthful somehow), recessed chin (that one is still there but I've seen some progress), gonial angle has improved (now it's like 135 degree, so I still have some work to do but it was worse), dorsal hump straightened a bit (this is the most interesting one, I'm 100% sure my nose looked much more "hooked" , now much less). Overall my face looks definitely more balanced even though I haven't reached yet the ideal scenario where my gonial angle has less than 130 degree and my chin is in line with my lips. One month ago I incorporated chin tucks to my routine , so hopefully that will help. Prior to that my posture was better (thanks to better airways) but not 100% straight. So we'll see , I've started taking pictures of my side profile for comparison

Posted : 12/11/2019 5:38 am
LizzyBennet

I find the nose changes really interesting too. My nose had been dead straight all my life until I got extractions+braces that pulled both my upper and lower jaws back. A dorsal hump started appearing about a year into having braces as the extraction gaps started closing up. The reason I know that I am not genetically meant to have a hooked nose is that I got braces when I was 38 years old, so I had two decades of adult life with a straight nose before the hooked nose happened. Plus, no one in my family has a hooked nose. If retracting the face back causes a dorsal hump to appear, it makes absolute sense that growing the face forward would have the opposite effect. I am hoping that mewing will make my nose revert back to the way it used to be before braces, at least partially.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 5:57 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

Didn't know  a sloping  forehead indicated recession

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 10:06 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@heratio

It's great to hear that you've achieved improvement, congratulations! If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

1. Were you able to engage your posterior tongue against your palate, all the way to its soft region when you begun, or did it take time and practice?

2. What was your IMW when you began, and has your palate expanded?

3. Have you heard any cracking / clicking noises, or experienced any similar sensations while mewing?

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 3:15 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @oatmeal

Didn't know  a sloping  forehead indicated recession

It doesn't. It can mean the person has forward head posture OR that their bone developed that way even with good posture. Grown men seldom have vertical foreheads regardless of posture since our brow bone develops far more than women's. A grown man with a completely vertical forehead is a rarity. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 3:46 pm
Eminent Member

@oatmeal

Well, it's a normal feature in men but my forehead is excessively sloping

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 5:07 pm
Eminent Member

@elwynn

1. Honestly, not even now does the posterior part of my tongue touch the palate..

2. I didn't know of IMW back then so I didn't take any measurement but I suppose my palate has expanded since my bimaxillary protrusion has improved , provided palatal expansion helps with bimaxillary protrusion

3. I can't remember of any sensation of that kind

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 5:14 pm
facegettingworseandworse
Eminent Member

Sorry to hear about all that. Definetlty spend lots of time improving full body posture. goodluck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 5:16 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Work on lip seal if you have bimax. And posterior third engagement. Are your teeth and contact and if so, how?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 11:41 pm
Eminent Member

@eddiemoney

Yes, my teeth are always in contact in a slight overbite position

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 3:20 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @horatio

@eddiemoney

Yes, my teeth are always in contact in a slight overbite position

Most will disagree with me on this. I don't prefer tooth contact at rest. In my opinion it only helps to reinforce the maloclussion. Keeping teeth slightly apart has helped a lot in better oral posture, lip seal, and of course palate expansion. 

And mewing can help cases like yours, so don't fret if progress is slow at first. It's a steep learning curve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 8:36 am