Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

My Chewing Technique for Prominent Cheekbones | What factors I consider while chewing.  

RSS
Gentleman

Factors:

1. Gum Toughness
  2. Gum Size
  3. Posture while chewing (Sitting vs standing vs walking, With or without chin tuck and Head raised (Looking up) vs lowered (Looking down))
  4. Focused chewing vs distracted chewing
  5. Chewing Duration
  6. Chewing Speed (Fast vs Slow)
  7. Teeth used for chewing (Front teeth vs back teeth)
  8. Open vs closed mouth chewing
  9. One side chewing vs both side chewing
  10. Molars come in contact during chewing or not

Taking the aforementioned factors into consideration. I recently came up with a chewing technique that I believe it gives prominent cheekbones, possibly due to the activation of the lateral pterygoid muscles.

Ok, this might sound very stupid, but I decided to share it nonetheless.

1. I use tough gum (I am not sure if it is mastic).
  2. It is ~25 mm in diameter.
  3. Maintaining upright posture and walking with slight chin tuck (forced me to look down, but I use my eyes to look straight "Angle = 45 Degree from neutral head angle")
  4. Focused.
  5. 45 mins to 75 mins (usually 1 hour).
  6. Start slow then constant fast chewing.
  7. I use back teeth (premolars and molars).
  8. Mostly open mouth chewing (I close my mouth when molars are in contact and I try to close my mouth if possible without forcing my lips to be together)
  9. Mostly one side (but I feel the technique works better if I manged to chew on both side at the same time)
  10. Molars are almost in contact

Now, the stupid part I chew while making a duck face (like I am about to kiss someone in a weird way "Kissing with lips apart") and squinting or forcing my eyes closed. Yeah I know this is so stupid, but then I sometime can re-create the same feeling or effect without doing this.

This is where I feel pressure:

Doing this chewing technique, my masseter muscles never get sore for some reason. but it does slowly increase in size. Thoughts?

Edit: I clench while doing 50 reps of push-ups. This makes my masseter go sore or numb afterward.

Posted : 12/05/2020 4:56 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

How long have you been doing this for? And have you seen any improvement in your cheekbones so far?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2020 5:15 am
Gentleman

@loliboly

~4 months, but I take many days off. So, ~3 months. I already have good cheekbones, but yeah I feel it is getting better and better. I can see a curve when the light is focused on my cheekbones. I think I have a diamond face shape.

However, I can not confirm that right now. I will not take an after photo until I am 2 to 3 years into mewing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2020 6:12 am
PolHolmes
Eminent Member

I have done hard chewing for a year without any gains to my cheekbones, the only thing I have gotten is overblown masseter muscles which has whacked out the balance of my face. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2020 8:38 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @polholmes

I have done hard chewing for a year without any gains to my cheekbones, the only thing I have gotten is overblown masseter muscles which has whacked out the balance of my face. 

Lmao, that's what you get if you focus on the masseter muscles, had the same thing happen to me. I've since switched to temporalis chewing, there's no more bloat except slight in the zygos, zygos have increased in size a lot. I wouldn't call it aesthetic though. I think in the end, amount of fat on face is best predictor of zygo projection.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2020 9:32 am
PolHolmes
Eminent Member

@auxiliarus

Yep. 

How were you able to isolate the temporalis muscle when chewing? I can't seem to do it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2020 10:22 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @polholmes

@auxiliarus

Yep. 

How were you able to isolate the temporalis muscle when chewing? I can't seem to do it

I don't know if I can recommend isolating temporalis, in my own case it led to TMJ-ish problems. Either way I can't explain it, you just learn to tense it by retracting your teeth with upwards movement.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2020 10:47 am
Gentleman

@auxiliarus

Do you think I am experiencing the temporal pattern with my chewing technique?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2020 4:07 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @gentleman

@auxiliarus

Do you think I am experiencing the temporal pattern with my chewing technique?

How would I know? Just put your finger against the temporalis and start chewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2020 6:20 am
Farrusco

Is it good to feel the temporal muscles moving when you chew?? or not?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2020 6:06 pm