Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

MSE vs Removable Expanders and the Issue of Non-Parallel Expansion  

RSS
Elwynn
Estimable Member

In this video at about 1:40, Ronald Ead says that MSE is known for creating a very parallel and even split of the mid-palatal suture, while other methods of palatal expansion tend to create expansion at the front of the palate (near the incisors), and none or little at the back (near the soft palate). Based on this, I would like to ask...

For those who have successfully expanded their palates through the use of a removable plastic expander (like Schwartz), another appliance, just mewing, or a combination of all these: do you feel like you have achieved this expansion uniformly throughout the palate, or have certain regions of the palate become wider than others?

I am asking this because I will soon begin using a removable expander. I believe that I have made slow progress because I relapse while asleep, so my plan is to continue mewing during the day, and wear the expander at night. My hope is that even if the expander, in isolation, expands non-uniformly, my palate will expand evenly due to a correct oral posture, which distributes the tongue throughout the whole palate. Thoughts?

24 years old

Posted : 14/02/2020 1:12 am
FalseNegativeSleepStudy

Other forms of Miniscrew-assisted Rapid Palatal Expanders (MARPE) create an uneven split in the suture where the front widens a lot more than the back.  MSE creates an even split which helps more in opening up the nasal passages.

I would think with other removable expanders that aren't anchored into the maxilla, the results depend on your age, skeletal maturity, if the suture is split or pliable.  I'd guess in an adult without a suture split you would get mostly dento-alveolar expansion (alveolar bone moving, teeth+alveolar bone moving, only teeth moving or tipping) in the areas it is pressing on, maybe some suture stretching.

Could you post a picture of the removable expander?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhP7jrMiBg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2020 9:06 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@falsenegativesleepstudy

This is the one.

It's interesting that there's disagreements over whether a palate expander is effective at splitting the suture in adults. I have heard Dr. Mew say that dental tipping tends to occur when the expansion is done too slowly, and that when the speed is appropriate, the suture can split. I have consulted a functional orthodontist in my area, and he also suggested using the expander, which he believed would expand the palate itself. He also informed me that he succeeded in expanding palates of much older patients than me (I'm 24). Still, there is doubt about that possibility here. I'm not really sure what to believe anymore.

Over the course of my mewing practice, I have tipped / shifted my second molars quite noticeably. This is not real expansion, obviously. My first molars, however, which are closer to the center of the hard palate have not budged at all. No matter how much suction or pressure I have applied, they've stayed in the same spot. It is my hope that if I were to apply a more reliable force than my tongue (I can't yet mew all the time) around those first molars, it would trigger my palatal suture to begin splitting.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2020 12:55 pm
Sailor87
Eminent Member

Sounds like a good idea, I am interested in one as well. How do you go about getting one? Do you find an orthodontist who do the whole procedure? And what is the cost? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2020 4:43 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@sailor87

I looked up "functional orthodontists" in my area and found one who specialized in palatal expansion, had good reviews, and gave free consultations. Well, by "in my area" I mean 1.5 hours away. Unless you live in a major city, you may need to travel a longer than usual distance to see such a professional, since most orthodontists don't provide these services. Anyway, he suggested the removable expander for me, along with braces afterwards. The quote was about 5K USD, which is fair for my area. I also could have gotten it down to a fraction of that if I opted to skip braces. However, I ultimately decided to pass on the entire procedure; not because of anything the orthodontist did - he was very professional - I was just hard-pressed for money at the time. I don't recommend doing this yourself, as working with a professional is always safer, but that wasn't a good option for me due to my financial situation.

You can order an expander from BracesShop, but again, don't take this as a recommendation to self-treat. And if you do decide to get an expander yourself, please research it beforehand and be careful.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2020 1:54 am
Sailor87
Eminent Member

@Elwynn

That makes sende, I suppose it has to be somewhat formed to fit the person. Ive looked in my area and its about 2300$ for an expander only, I will probably also not do it atm. 

I read some old posts from Jamo yesterday where he talks about applying constant pressure during the day and getting the tongue very strong, in order to get the night posture right. That makes sense to me, so im gonna give that a shot first. Good luck! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2020 11:52 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@sailor87

It's probably true that for someone who's had bad posture for most of their life, more force will be required to train the body to improve than is required to maintain already good posture, but be careful not to overdo it. We've recently had users here who hard-mewed very hard and possibly injured themselves. Use force if you feel like it's effective, but also use common sense.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2020 12:25 am