Forum

Please Note: The Users of this site are not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual reader. The ideas, procedures, and suggestions contained within this work are not intended as a substitute for examination by your medical practitioner.

18 y/o male trying to move maxilla Up and Forward (w/ Picture)  

RSS
James
(@jamesalan)

Hi everyone,

I'm an 18 year old male and my maxilla has become a bit recessed because I was a mouth breather throughout my childhood and early teens. This is because I used to have asthma and had trouble breathing through my nose, making mouth breathing a habit, but this has since gone away. I have been trying to mew the past couple months by keeping my tongue firmly pushing up on my palate (especially the posterior third) in order to fix the years of bad posture. This previous bad posture has made my forehead a bit slanted, made a visible bump on my nose, developed dark circles, and weakened my chin. I was thinking about getting a palate expander to widen my head and taping the jaw shut at night to keep the tongue up. Should I keep mewing, and if so, how long will it take to get noticeable results and fix these problems? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

P.S. I have never received braces or any other orthodontic treatment.

I did my best to give an accurate outline of the side of my head (w/o hair) so you can see.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2018 11:41 pm
Link77washere
(@link77washere)

You should definetly stay mewing. The younger you are the faster your results are. It is really improtant to strenghten your tongue so it is is able to stay up 24/7. You can tape your mouth in the beginning but try chewing more so that your mouth stays closed overnight automatically. Night time is essential when u want to see results. I would use a palate expander when you have troubles fitting your tongue between your upper teeth.

Its important to maintain correct posture 24/7 if u want to make progress.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2018 3:05 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register