Forum

NOTICE:

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Michael Jackson's "In the Closet" - Feat. Supermodel Naomi Campbell  

RSS
ben
 ben
(@ben)
Trusted Member

https://youtu.be/4qLY0vbrT8Q

Image result for in the closet

Good evening! I hope my words find you well.

Above is the stunning video for Michael Jackson's critically-acclaimed 1992 single, In the Closet. The short film features Supermodel Naomi Campbell as the sensual lover of Jackson's protagonist, and sees the two flitting about California's desolate Salton Sea. Widely hailed as a musical and visual masterpiece, I often find myself repeatedly entranced with Campbell's unadulterated beauty.

Nature and nurture have afforded Campbell with a harmonious set of unique features, thus maxing out her physical appeal. However, this is not the point I am focusing on in today's post. Rather, I share this with you as a fantastic showcase of proper posture. While Jackson himself has a broad, well-developed face (please look past the obvious cosmetic alterations; see picture below) and decent posture, Campbell's posture reigns supreme. 

Image result for young michael jackson smiling

There are multiple instances throughout the film which capture Campbell's profile. Refer to 0:25, 0:42, 0:47, 0:49, 0:57, 2:21, 2:27, 2:30, 2:44, 2:48, 2:58, 3:06, 3:51, 4:01, 4:03, 4:53, and 5:36. 

*If you aren't familiar with Esther Gokhale's "primal posture", please view my previous post before continuing.*

The basic principles of the "Gokhale Method" are as follows: 

1) An anteverted pelvis

2) Posteriorly-positioned shoulders, resulting in an "open" chest

3) Elongation of the neck, also referred to as a "chin tuck"

While there are many more aspects to the intricate structure of a healthy posture, the three principles above are a good place to begin. Refer to the image of Esther below to see what it all looks like:

Image result for esther gokhale

Now, take a closer look at Campbell's posture throughout the video. You'll notice that she employs all three of the basic principles listed above. Based on this simple visual evidence, I can comfortable conclude that she lives a pain-free life, with a body entirely intended by nature. Notice how graceful she moves compared to Jackson (who still moves with a natural ease and poise), and also take note of how her eyes seemingly angle towards the floor. When one assumes this posture, positive pressure is forced onto the craniofacial complex, eventually resulting in a healthy, robust face. 

I've seen countless photographs of Campbell when she was merely a child, and she appears to have developed to her genetic potential. She was likely breastfed for an extended period of time (she was brought up by a single mother living in poverty), raised on a relatively-hard and nutritious diet, and subjected to an environment which failed to compromise her efficient and athletic posture. Even at the advancing age of 48, Campbell remains beautiful as ever, having suffered from no appreciable facial lengthening (unlike her peers Kate Moss and Christy Turlington). Her palate remains broad and sturdy, affording Campbell a stunning dental arch and perfect occlusion. She continues to remain in the spotlight of the fashion world—no easy feat for a woman over 30—and has rightfully claimed a spot as one of the most influential cultural figures. Her striking posture has endured (as evidenced by recent interviews and public appearances), which will only continue to serve her well should it remain intact.

A final note: apart from the three basic principles which I briefly discussed above, the Gokhale Method asserts that one's upper abdominal muscles/gluteus medius should remain in a constant state of contraction. When in this particular state, these muscle serve to support the spinal column, allowing the entirety of the structure to decompress, thus relieving tension on the various nerves located in the body. Ever notice how some poised individuals always seem to have nice abs and a shapely, perky posterior? This is the reason. In her youth, Campbell often bragged about how she was able to eat anything that she wanted without gaining weight or losing her muscle tone. She drank, smoked, admitted to dabbling with an assortment of drugs, and yet still maintained a tight, athletic figure. Her body received all of the exercise it needed to remain in a state of health; every step she took—every little action throughout every single day—her muscles were exercised. Thus, she was able to strut down several catwalks (her walk is revered as one of the best in the fashion industry) a day without even batting an eye. And she looked like a god doing it.

That is all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2018 9:15 pm LIL Tyler, Phil343443, Angelina and 1 people liked
Slinky
(@slinky)
Eminent Member

Great post, very informative 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2018 12:44 am
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator

Good post. Naomi certainly showcases great posture, but Gokhale's posture is borderline awkward. She is not fully engaging her musculature, resulting in this weird forward leaning pseudo-lordotic curvature:

Minus the straight neck, my posture was similar to hers before I began my journey. You are right that there won't be any back pain, but that's about all the good things that can be said about it. There is a vast difference between how Gokhale carries herself and how anyone with proper facial development (Naomi for ex.) would. Her hips are not full engaged nor forward enough, her cervical spine is not backward enough. Her chest is not high enough. It's an overall lackluster stance. I wonder how much better comprehension of posture she would have acquired, had she been aware of the importance of tongue straight from the beginning.

You are correct that abs should be contracted, but they should also be vacuumed in. There should be a state of balance between these two opposing forces, beginning from the lower abs and moving upwards to upper torso. If you come from a background of years of slouching, this will not be as simple as just falling into proper posture. You have to really force the spinal musculature to generate the support required to push the spine upward. It will be uncomfortable and difficult. Gokhale's posture is a "work in progress", which is why I wouldn't give much value to the way she is doing things.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2018 9:00 am Achilles1 and EddieMoney liked
ben
 ben
(@ben)
Trusted Member
Posted by: Progress

Good post. Naomi certainly showcases great posture, but Gokhale's posture is borderline awkward. She is not fully engaging her musculature, resulting in this weird forward leaning pseudo-lordotic curvature:

Minus the straight neck, my posture was similar to hers before I began my journey. You are right that there won't be any back pain, but that's about all the good things that can be said about it. There is a vast difference between how Gokhale carries herself and how anyone with proper facial development (Naomi for ex.) would. Her hips are not full engaged nor forward enough, her cervical spine is not backward enough. Her chest is not high enough. It's an overall lackluster stance. I wonder how much better comprehension of posture she would have acquired, had she been aware of the importance of tongue straight from the beginning.

You are correct that abs should be contracted, but they should also be vacuumed in. There should be a state of balance between these two opposing forces, beginning from the lower abs and moving upwards to upper torso. If you come from a background of years of slouching, this will not be as simple as just falling into proper posture. You have to really force the spinal musculature to generate the support required to push the spine upward. It will be uncomfortable and difficult. Gokhale's posture is a "work in progress", which is why I wouldn't give much value to the way she is doing things.

1. I completely agree with you. Esther Gokhale's posture in that particular photograph isn't ideal, but there are other instances in which I have seen her assume an improved stance. In my opinion—and I hope for her sake—the example given above is simply a fluke.

2. I'm having difficulty understanding your assertion regarding her hips. Are you stating that her pelvis is too anteverted, thus resulting in lordosis? In my opinion, the posturing of her pelvis is ideal.

3. This is something I have noticed as well. Please take a moment to view the images below:

Image result for proper posture

Image result for in the closet

Both Campbell and the man above (left image; disregard the placement of his cervical spine) exhibit a healthy posture, with their chest noticeably "forward" in comparison to Gokhale's. How is this particular placement achieved? Are the two above breathing in a way which is resulting in their chests taking a form different from Gokhale's? Or is their musculature supporting the posturing of that particular location? When viewing my profile in the mirror, I notice that my chest appears similar to Gokhale's, and seems to lack "support". I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

4. When one's abdominal muscles are contracted, aren't they "vacuumed in" by default? When engaging my abdominals through everyday activity, my spinal column is lengthened considerably, and my abdomen is flush with the border of my chest.

5. I would give value to her philosophy and teachings. Yes, her technique is far from perfect. Ronald Ead has previously pointed out the flaws of her method (please see link below), but maintains that her school of thought is the best there currently is. I have to agree. While the Gokhale Method neglects the concept of oral posturing, every other little morsel of information can be used to one's benefit. In fact, I'd venture to say that this community could use her knowledge to leap several steps forward. We're fortunate in that we recognize the relationship between the spinal column and the craniofacial complex. With this in mind, we effectively serve as the "missing link" in her philosophy.

Similarly, the Weston A. Price Foundation discusses the phenomenon of craniofacial dystrophy, albeit employing alternate terminology. While they cover information similar to what can be found under the orthotropic principal, they too fail to recognize the importance of the tongue and masticatory muscles. Along with the Gokhale Method, their teachings are accurate and influential. However, the orthotropic principal ties their varying schools of thought together—ultimately resulting in a trifecta of life-changing information. We can use the various principals of these three movements to achieve health and balance of the body and mind. 

https://ronaldead.com/blog/2017/12/29/esther-gokhales-one-mistake

6. Since you understandably criticized Gokhale's posture, what are your thoughts in regards to "Jamo's"? If you rotate the attached image to a completely erect position, you'll notice that his cervical spine is oriented considerably ahead of his shoulders, which is the flaw you also observed in Gokhale's example. Could this too be a fluke? Or can one truly achieve change despite the fact that their posture is lacking?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2018 6:19 pm
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator

2. I'm not familiar with anteversion as a term. Based on her stance, I think there is the same kind of tightness present in the hips that occurrs in anterior pelvic tilt. It appears as if her psoas weren't allowing the hips to open into full extension, which is then compensated for by the butt-back-torso-forward stance I highlihted earlier. Her pelvic tilt may indeed be close to ideal, but its the sagittal alignment in relation to the rest of the body that could be improved.

3. When focusing on posterior positioning of shoulders, it's easy to overlook the importance of having the upper back muscles & neck muscles push forward against the posterior ribcage, neck and cranium in a way that gives the chest proper base from which it can project up & forward. A great exercise for this is squeezing your lats together so that your elbows curl up and shoulders begin to roll forward a little. Then simultaneously try to use the trapezius and rhomboids to initiate a chest-forward push. (This is part a larger exercise that I illustrated here  https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/scoliosis-correction-tips/#post-8336 based on what you have revealed about your posture, you could get a lot out of it). This took me a long time to get it down, but ultimetaly these muscles will join in to the contraction/vacuum combo effort. As you suspect, this also deeply ties to breathing. You should be able to "encase" the lungs/ribcage from all directions with the surrounding musculature, and this encasing can then be trained against the resistance created by a deep inhale.

4. Ideally yes. Getting to that level of function can require a bit of work.

5. In retrospect, it was harshly put. Evidently Gokhale is going to the right direction, and her teachings have no doubt helped many. I just think that the teachings of someone who is unaware of the importance of tongue posture can only get you so far. Attempting to fix posture with the aim of supporting mewing and cranial unwinding requires a bit different approach than aiming to alleviate back pain would. 

6. The posture in Jamo's pic is kind of difficult to analyze. I doubt he was going  after perfect posture, and rather just wanted to showcase his cranial changes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2018 7:45 pm ben liked
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register