Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Mewing with retainers  

RSS
JustAMotivatedGuy

Hi, I'm a 17 year old with a rather weak chin. At one point of my life I had crooked teeth and I used braces in order to correct them, I have been wearing retainers for the last 8 months since they came off. I just discovered mewing around a month ago and I have been doing a lot of research on the topic. I would've been mewing heavily if it wasn't for my retainers (they are clear Essex retainers), I am afraid they will prevent my palate from expanding, I asked my orthodontist about fixed retainers and they booked me in to have them fitted this September. I just wanted to know, will fixed retainers still allow me to expand my palette or will I run into the same problem I had with my clear Essex retainers.

I would also like to know, should I continue mewing (still wearing Essex retainers every night) in the 4  months I have till my fixed retainers are fitted?

Posted : 01/04/2019 4:29 pm
Community Lurker

As someone who has expanded with fixed retainers, i can confidently say that you're still able to expand with fixed retainers

(that does not mean that it's optimal though i believe; if i remember correctly Mew recommends to eventually remove fixed retainers too)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2019 5:42 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member
Posted by: Community Lurker

As someone who has expanded with fixed retainers, i can confidently say that you're still able to expand with fixed retainers

(that does not mean that it's optimal though i believe; if i remember correctly Mew recommends to eventually remove fixed retainers too)

how much expansion did you got?

and did you have on 4 teeth or 6 teeth?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2019 2:17 am
JustAMotivatedGuy
Posted by: Community Lurker

Do you think I should continue mewing until I get my fixed retainers or should I just wait?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2019 4:02 pm