fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Mewing only works if you already have a wide enough palate/jaw

Zygos

Otherwise you will only block your airways which automatically leads to mouth breathing, bad tongue position

Topic starter Posted : 18/08/2018 1:42 pm
maubes

True. They must recognize already that there are people who have narrow facial maxilla and mandible and need to expand to create wider dimensions and breath more easily

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2018 2:06 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Well this is why expander machines exist; so that people can widen their palate to fit their tongue later on.

They say 38mm is the ideal starting intermolar to get benefits. I will say that even with my narrow face my palate started wider than most. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2018 3:21 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

I somewhat agree with this but for a different reason. Having limited space (especially transverse) reduces the tongue's ability to posture and function properly.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2018 4:01 pm
SUGR1

There are so many other factors. Another one I think key is tongue ties. 

Many people can not even put their tongue up to their palate and with those restrictions mewing will simply not work. Or they may think in their frame of mind they are mewing but not really doing it properly. 

There are fantastic studies by ENTs like Dr Bobby Ghaheri who many would say is the authority on tongue and ties in the USA. He has a blog on square space which I would recommend anyone with ties etc to read. 

His article in 2017 (pubmed 29787680) shows how anterior tongue ties when released is simply not enough to facilitate proper mid and posterior tongue seals on to the palate in children for breastfeeding and other issues. This for me is huge! If the young ones can not accomodate what chance does an adult have when their fascia and ligaments have been much more stiff and resistant to stretch. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2018 7:07 pm
SUGR1

There are so many other factors. Another one I think key is tongue ties. 

Many people can not even put their tongue up to their palate and with those restrictions mewing will simply not work. Or they may think in their frame of mind they are mewing but not really doing it properly. 

There are fantastic studies by ENTs like Dr Bobby Ghaheri who many would say is the authority on tongue and ties in the USA. He has a blog on square space which I would recommend anyone with ties etc to read. 

His article in 2017 (pubmed 29787680) shows how anterior tongue ties when released is simply not enough to facilitate proper mid and posterior tongue seals on to the palate in children for breastfeeding and other issues. This for me is huge! If the young ones can not accomodate what chance does an adult have when their fascia and ligaments have been much more stiff and resistant to stretch. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2018 7:07 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

so we need to get the posterior tongue tie released? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2018 10:28 pm