NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

"Mewing" is not about pushing  

RSS
deep.thought

Why everybody talk about pushing the tongue on the roof of the mouth? In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6h3-wsqLNA Mike Mew talks clearly about sucking the tongue up on the palate, not any push involved nor mentioned.
So, can anyone explain me why most thinks that 'pushing' is the right way to Mew?

Posted : 24/03/2019 10:00 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Two reasons: First the whole "mewing" topic is very disorganized and information is hard to get and this leads to the second reason: confusion. People were really struggling to understand mewing and many started improvising to get by. This is how allot of concept such as "hard mewing" came about.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 10:30 am
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

The whole "pushing" or "hard mewing" concept really just came about from people hearing about tongue posture and the effect on maxilla development, and somehow extrapolating that into the very specious theory that applying pressure will actually move the maxilla up and/or forwards. Not one single person has been able to demonstrate that this happens, yet many people are walking around pushing up on the palate with huge force all day. It's insane!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 12:54 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

I find Sarah Hornsby's take on this topic interesting, and it aligns with my own experience. She says that the suction hold is an effective technique when you first start practicing proper tongue posture, but you should eventually transition to using the muscles of the tongue to hold it against the palate. She also says that forcibly pressing the tongue against the palate can be done, but should be done as an exercise.

https://youtu.be/dwyl1la2lRY?t=459

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 2:56 pm
almighty liked
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

Alternate possibility: hard mewing may not do anything for bone structure by itself, but it may be a highly effective exercise for training the tongue to stay up. Hence why a lot of people who have had success are hard mewers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 6:15 pm
Cremboy, Community Lurker, Arkey and 2 people liked
krollic
Estimable Member

I agree w/ coffee. I think it's less about the greater force applied and more so about the increased muscled strength/endurance and also that it's easier to notice when you've stopped hard mewing rather than soft mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 6:22 pm
Arkey

Hard mewing also seems to be referring to people mewing more diligently.

You can be quite half-assed about mewing, but effects would only really take place once you make the effort to turn it into a habit. To change your posture, to train your tongue, to prepare for a long journey.

In my opinion, hard mewing is more about a mindset, not just pressing against the maxilla with more force.

With our weak tongues anyway, we can barely apply any pressure as it is. And it seems that those who have been mewing for a while, and have developed strength in their tongue, are able to mew properly all the time - like you say Abdul, when you realised that your tongue was automatically finding itself in the correct position.

So I think that hard mewing is useful, just that it's poorly defined. This lack of definition leads to the whole face-pulling debacle, when we know that the effects of mewing come over time, and that it's not as simple as the amount of pressure applied being equal to the amount of change in facial structure.

- Mewing for 6+ months
- IMW: 35mm (no expansion)
- Sleep on the floor without a pillow
- Tape mouth at night
- Continue to emphasise chin-tuck/occipital drive for extended periods
- Chew Mastic Tears for 1 hour every other day

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2019 2:27 pm
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: Arkey

Hard mewing also seems to be referring to people mewing more diligently.

You can be quite half-assed about mewing, but effects would only really take place once you make the effort to turn it into a habit. To change your posture, to train your tongue, to prepare for a long journey.

In my opinion, hard mewing is more about a mindset, not just pressing against the maxilla with more force.

With our weak tongues anyway, we can barely apply any pressure as it is. And it seems that those who have been mewing for a while, and have developed strength in their tongue, are able to mew properly all the time - like you say Abdul, when you realised that your tongue was automatically finding itself in the correct position.

So I think that hard mewing is useful, just that it's poorly defined. This lack of definition leads to the whole face-pulling debacle, when we know that the effects of mewing come over time, and that it's not as simple as the amount of pressure applied being equal to the amount of change in facial structure.

Trust me, in order to get into soft/passive/meditating mewing. One must mew hard first, especially the ones who want to see results fast,And when I say fast I'm talking about 6 months up, because it just not gonna happen over night.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2019 7:13 pm
krollic liked
krollic
Estimable Member

I've achieved 24/7 passive mewing in recent weeks and it's certainly not down to learning a new behaviour or habit. How could you even "control" your tongue posture while you are asleep? The reason I've managed it is because of my oral exercises such as tongue and jaw chewing, hyoid/swallowing workouts and strengthening the muscles responsible for chin tucking. When I first got into mewing I wish I spent less time worrying about holding my tongue in the right place and more about just getting stronger. It should have been obvious to everyone considering that facial recession is caused by underdeveloped muscles in the first place.

Every moment of the day now I have my tongue glued to my palate because the root of my tongue is strong and whenever I naturally swallow I can feel the force it is exerting into my palate. It's no surprise that my results are accelerating.

Pushing hard with the tongue isn't the reason hard mewers are making results. In my estimation, they are making results because their tongues are powerful enough to support themselves. I don't think hard mewing 24/7 is a good idea because it doesn't apply the same sorts of forces that "swallow mewing" does. I now recognize hard mewing as an exercise that should be practiced for maybe an hour a day in combination with other workout routines, particularly tongue root exercises. It's the back of the tongue or the hyoid that does most of the heavy lifting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2019 10:23 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Guys, if you want to strengthen your tongue, do exercises such as tongue chewing and tongue lifts, etc. That's how you strengthen any muscle in your body and the same applies to the tongue. Consciously pushing and holding your tongue up and sideways for extended hours is not the way. That's like performing isometric contraction to fix posture, it does not work.

Physiotherapist always caution from holding a contraction such as the plank for more than 1-2 minutes. Beyond that point it brings negative results. I recon some people start with very difficult conditions (narrow palate, tongue tie, etc) but the solution to those problem is not to push harder or longer. Just get a proper treatment. That's what Mike Mew recommends in consultation.

There is no point in defending "hard mewing". There was a point in time when people did not understand correct oral posture and function but now things are much clearer and Mike came out with more content that expands on this issue. 

Trying to cling to old ways and justify them with silly theoretical arguments is just an exercise in vanity.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2019 12:19 am
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

@Krollic love the way you put that - it's about "getting stronger."  That just brought my mindset into a new paradigm.  This phrase needs to be used more often.  We need to think of this like building muscle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2019 12:23 am
krollic liked
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman

Guys, if you want to strengthen your tongue, do exercises such as tongue chewing and tongue lifts, etc. That's how you strengthen any muscle in your body and the same applies to the tongue. Consciously pushing and holding your tongue up and sideways for extended hours is not the way. That's like performing isometric contraction to fix posture, it does not work.

Physiotherapist always caution from holding a contraction such as the plank for more than 1-2 minutes. Beyond that point it brings negative results. I recon some people start with very difficult conditions (narrow palate, tongue tie, etc) but the solution to those problem is not to push harder or longer. Just get a proper treatment. That's what Mike Mew recommends in consultation.

There is no point in defending "hard mewing". There was a point in time when people did not understand correct oral posture and function but now things are much clearer and Mike came out with more content that expands on this issue. 

Trying to cling to old ways and justify them with silly theoretical arguments is just an exercise in vanity.

I agree, the tongue must be strengthened all around.The same way one plasters the tongue on the roof of the mouth, the opposite works very well too, which is just pressing the tongue down flat on the lower soft palate as flat and low as one can. Imagine taking a cold shower and spreading your mouth as wide as possible with the tongue plastered on the lower palate, one should be able to see the uvula very clearly and feel the inside muscles of the neck working. I do that daily several times a day and during my cold shower. I highly suggest you guys give it a try.

It's somewhat like saying HOT, extending and holding the vowel as one lower the jaw and press down the whole tongue, keep your lips relaxed and neutral and just focus on pressing the tongue down as hard as one can.

P.S. There's no need to take a cold shower to achieve what i wrote above, it is just an example =_=

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2019 2:54 pm
20_year_old_mewing

@krollic

Hey dude. I'd really appreciate a chat about your experience so I can just do the right stuff. 

do you have paypal? i'd be happy to send you some money in return.

again would really appreciate it. could talk on phone, skype or facebook. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2019 2:53 am
tonguecel

'mewing' is about guiding facial growth so if the tongue is in the right position the jaws will develop properly around the tongue. this idea that the tongue is capable of forcing change is cope and rubbish

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2019 9:57 am
Elwynn
Eminent Member

@tonguecel

What about those who have expanded their IMW using their tongue?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2019 10:06 am
Daltira

The pushing act is for the teeth. Which is actually what moves the maxilla. Not the tongue. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2019 4:13 am
RamonT liked
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: @daltira

The pushing act is for the teeth. Which is actually what moves the maxilla. Not the tongue. 

I agree, however, the tongue combined with the teeth, create the pushing action.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2019 1:50 pm
Daltira

@ramont

I’m still struggling to see how the tongue really pushes the maxilla. I mean look at a skull. The top teeth are connected to the maxilla through bone, they literally are extensions of the maxilla. But the tongue is nowhere near it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2019 10:45 pm
RamonT
Trusted Member

@ramont

I’m still struggling to see how the tongue really pushes the maxilla. I mean look at a skull. The top teeth are connected to the maxilla through bone, they literally are extensions of the maxilla. But the tongue is nowhere near it?

@Daltira,

When one mew properly, this is the way one's tongue will feel inside the mouth. Combined with the teeth and you get the full force.

P.S. I already mentioned in this forum that one can actually lift the maxilla without using the tongue and teeth, however,using all combined is the way to go IMH.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 10:18 am
Daltira

@ramont

How can one lift the maxilla without tooth or tongue force? Naturally or with an appliance? 

And by “lift” do you mean compress? Because the maxilla literally needs to change shape to grow forwards which takes years of compression from the lower teeth. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2019 10:57 am
RamonT
Trusted Member

@ramont

How can one lift the maxilla without tooth or tongue force? Naturally or with an appliance? 

And by “lift” do you mean compress? Because the maxilla literally needs to change shape to grow forwards which takes years of compression from the lower teeth. 

@daltira,

I recently posted twice about it but I deleted both posts because I did not like the way I wrote it. If you want just check my very first post in this forum then you'll know-how. When I'm not too busy, I'm gonna edit my first post and I will add everything that I believe could help any serious mewer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2019 11:53 am
Daltira

@ramont

Is this from the shower technique? Yeah I didn’t understand that at all.. sorry. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2019 11:34 pm