Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Mewing causing uneven Jaw  

RSS
crispymac
(@crispymac)

I have been mewing for about 2 months consistently and I am noticing that when I close my jaw my teeth touch on my left side but my teeth on the right side don't. When I look towards the sky and look in the mirror I notice that the 'corner' of my jaw on the left side is lower than on my right side.

I believe this could be due to having uneven pressure of the tongue with the tongue pushing up harder on one side of the palate than the other.

Is this a common phenomenon? How would I correct this? I am considering quitting mewing with the hope that my jaw will realign itself. Afterall, an uneven face is less healthy and less attractive than an even one.

Thanks for any help. 

Posted : 15/03/2019 4:03 pm
ShaktiOm
(@shakti_om)
Eminent Member

This is an exercise I do to try and make sure that I have balanced tongue posture.

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/exercise-to-fix-asymmetries/

Make sure to work on you're overall posture as well. Understand any bad habits you might have, like always putting your weight on one leg, leaning on one elbow, always tilting your head to one side etc.

This post was modified 5 days ago 2 times by ShaktiOm
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/03/2019 6:00 pm
crispymac
(@crispymac)

Okay thanks for the advice.

If the teeth on the left are closer together when I close my mouth and the jaw is lower on the left, which side of the tongue is not pushing up against the palate enough? Sounds like a silly question but I really can't tell. 

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/03/2019 11:10 am
ShaktiOm
(@shakti_om)
Eminent Member

It's hard for me to say. It seems my anatomy is somewhat the opposite of your own. Currently my teeth on the left are closer together when I close my mouth, but the right side of my palate and teeth are lower down. I tend to push my tongue more on the right side. Common sense might say that I need to push more on my right side to push it up higher, but I found that by doing the exercise that I linked to, it is the left side of my swallow function that needs strengthening. The left side of my palate has become lower and the overall palate more even. This does not mean I am ignoring the right side. The goal is to create as balanced a swallow and tongue posture as possible, and then let the anatomy work itself out naturally.

If your situation is similar to mine, you may find that you need to work on the right side of your swallow function. If you turn your head to the right and swallow, you will feel the right side of your tongue and throat working more. But everyone is different. Try practicing the exercise I described, and observe your tongue and throat. Get to know your areas of weaknesses and strength. Also practice the cheesy swallow and a very very cheesy swallow. You want to strengthen your overall swallow structure. You can do these types of swallowing when you are doing the head rotation and swallow exercise.

Please note that the only evidence I have so far of this exercise working is with myself. But it has been really helpful for me. Hopefully it can help you and others as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/03/2019 3:08 pm
ShaktiOm
(@shakti_om)
Eminent Member

I find these simple tongue exercises to be really helpful as well... https://youtu.be/0TJ7ZxKDS8U

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/03/2019 4:41 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register