Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Methods for Forward Growth of Skeletal portion of maxilla  

RSS
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

I have good growth in the alveolar part of the maxilla but need growth in the skeletal part/the midface by 4mm or so, what methods specifically target the midface? Could myofunctional therapy done young(I’m 16 already, almost 17) achieve the necessary growth in the midface? Accompanied with any sort of appliance if needed? Or are the options just limited to surgery? I think the condition of having the recessed skeletal portion of the maxilla is called maxillary hypoplasia.

Also, is the skeletal part of the maxilla(ie the midface portion) recessed because of a lack of growth, or is it a placement issue, like is it compressed and needs to be moved forwards? Because if it is a movement issue(not a growth issue), then maybe manual facepulling exercises could be effective in achieving forward movement of the skeletal portion, at least on a small scale?

This topic was modified 2 months ago 5 times by qwerty135
Posted : 14/04/2019 12:07 pm
scerif
(@scerif)
Eminent Member

How do you know that you have a good growth in the alveolar part of the maxilla but not in the skeletal part? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2019 6:30 am
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

My nasolabial angle looks good, about 90-100 degrees, but then my cheek line is flat, and it seems I need about 4-5 mm forward growth of the midface to bring it forward(this is also corroborated by my Mew indicator line which is at 44mm).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2019 10:54 am
scerif
(@scerif)
Eminent Member
Posted by: nakulshn

My nasolabial angle looks good, about 90-100 degrees, but then my cheek line is flat, and it seems I need about 4-5 mm forward growth of the midface to bring it forward(this is also corroborated by my Mew indicator line which is at 44mm).

What is cheek line? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2019 11:06 am
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

A lot of the measurements I found are covered here on Abdulrahman’s blog: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/case-analysis-recessed-versus-forward-faces/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2019 11:19 am
scerif liked
scerif
(@scerif)
Eminent Member

So, if I understand correctly, the cheek line indicates whether the maxilla is skeletally well developed, while the nasolabial angle indicates the alveolar development. 

That means, theoretically, people with a cheek line forward and an high nasolabial angle with incompetent upper lip, they would need to develop only the alveolar part of the maxilla, not the skeletal one. @Abdulrahman What do you think? Is that right? 

This post was modified 2 months ago by scerif
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2019 8:03 pm
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

@scerif That is correct, according to what I gathered from Abdulrahman. He goes into detail here: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/case-analysis-recessed-versus-forward-faces/

I've read on the forum about Won Moon's MSE + face mask treatment, and how that can achieve forward growth of the entire maxilla, although more in the alveolar part than in the rest of the maxilla.

I'm also looking into orthotropics, as they achieve great results in uprighting the maxilla and changing facial form entirely, although the results would be much less dramatic given my age of 16/17. Unfortunately, I live in the Bay Area and the 2 local orthotropists won't consider treating me due to my age.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2019 10:39 pm
mewchell
(@mewchell)

I think you are over analyzing the importance of the nasolabial angle thing. if the mew indicator is bad your maxilla needs to come forward at your age with persistent work it will be easier than many people here but its by no means easy. in terms of forward growth 4mm is a heck of a lot so it will take a long time. there's less than 10mm between the 2 extremes in the post you linked so bare that in mind and set your hopes accordingly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2019 11:58 pm
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member
Posted by: scerif

So, if I understand correctly, the cheek line indicates whether the maxilla is skeletally well developed, while the nasolabial angle indicates the alveolar development. 

That means, theoretically, people with a cheek line forward and an high nasolabial angle with incompetent upper lip, they would need to develop only the alveolar part of the maxilla, not the skeletal one. @Abdulrahman What do you think? Is that right? 

Correct and correct.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2019 12:05 pm
scerif liked
MSE Merchant
(@varbrah)
Estimable Member
Posted by: nakulshn

@scerif That is correct, according to what I gathered from Abdulrahman. He goes into detail here: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/case-analysis-recessed-versus-forward-faces/

I've read on the forum about Won Moon's MSE + face mask treatment, and how that can achieve forward growth of the entire maxilla, although more in the alveolar part than in the rest of the maxilla.

I'm also looking into orthotropics, as they achieve great results in uprighting the maxilla and changing facial form entirely, although the results would be much less dramatic given my age of 16/17. Unfortunately, I live in the Bay Area and the 2 local orthotropists won't consider treating me due to my age.

forward growth from mse+fm is not alveolar at all

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2019 7:24 pm
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

@varbrah

Sorry, to clarify, the growth is not alveolar, I meant to say the entire maxilla is brought forward including the alveolar process.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2019 7:48 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register