Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Mewing creating asymmetries. Please help.  

RSS
js1984

I am an 18 year old male who started this whole mewing thing around 2 months ago. Since then, I have seen significant results, such as better eye support, higher cheekbones, more prominent maxilla etc...

however, despite being happy with so far results, I have an entirely new problem on my hands. Mewing is lifting my entire left side of my face but not the right. I’ve noticed that the cheekbone on my left side is noticeably higher than the right, and it looks like my eyes are not positioned correctly. How do I fix/correct this? Will it correct itself naturally? It’s having me a little concerned now, even though I’ve really just noticed this over the past couple days. 

Posted : 19/02/2019 4:39 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

In your mouth... is the one side of teeth higher than the other?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2019 5:56 pm
js1984
Posted by: darkindigo

In your mouth... is the one side of teeth higher than the other?

I don’t believe so, no. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2019 11:42 pm
Sclera
Estimable Member

It could be a number of things, but it could also be your neck and how your skull is now resting. Rather than it being mewing that is literally making your face assymetrical, you might be unconsciously tilting your head in a manner you hadn't before.

Check your ears and make sure they are in alignment. Have you been practicing body posture as well as oral posture?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2019 10:19 am
lil nut
Eminent Member

i have this pronblem one side of my palate is higher, it wasnt caused by mewing but nothing has fixed it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2019 11:37 am
js1984
Posted by: Sclera

It could be a number of things, but it could also be your neck and how your skull is now resting. Rather than it being mewing that is literally making your face assymetrical, you might be unconsciously tilting your head in a manner you hadn't before.

Check your ears and make sure they are in alignment. Have you been practicing body posture as well as oral posture?

Perhaps. Ive been keeping an eye on body posture, but nowhere to the extent of oral. Is there a guide on here to body posture? Thank you for your response. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2019 8:15 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Dr. Mew says he doesn't help fix asymmetries.  It is not his thing.  He sure creates them, though!  The guy who is into asymmetries is lviglobal in Las Vegas.  He trains dentists and does tslk about asymmetries and TMD.  Those are his fortes.  He's active on his koolade FB group.  You must drink the koolade to enter.   https://www.drrolanddental.com/featured-patients/facial-growth-and-development-orthopedic-and-orthodontic-treatment/ is a dentist he trained.  Bill Dickerson is pretty knowledgeable... however...I do like DNA (major competitor of his) for airway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2019 9:58 am
Sclera
Estimable Member
Posted by: js1984
Posted by: Sclera

Perhaps. Ive been keeping an eye on body posture, but nowhere to the extent of oral. Is there a guide on here to body posture? Thank you for your response. 

@js1984 There's no specific guide for body posture, as everyone is so different, but there are tons of resources out there, and a search through this forum will result in a lot of interesting threads. One of the most favored methods is the book "8 Steps To A Pain-Free Back" by Esther Gokhale.

I'm personally of the belief that correction starts from the ground up. I've had tight calves ever since I can remember, and it's only been this year that I've started really working on my flexibility. I need to be more diligent and really start working on overall strength as well. But the little things have added up, and I've noticed a huge difference in everyday moving and tasks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2019 1:39 pm
Hamiddkhnn

Darkindido so you think mewing isn't natural position of tongue and we shouldn't do it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2019 4:40 pm
Hamiddkhnn

Darkindido so you think mewing isn't natural position of tongue and we shouldn't do it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2019 4:40 pm
Hamiddkhnn

@darkindigo?????

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/02/2019 4:09 am
WILLIAM36563

I second that. 

Pushing /hard mewing really creates asymmetry. 

The whole idea of pushing your tongue up/forwards is ridiculous. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/02/2019 6:18 am