Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Lips seal is the most important.Lips seal is everything and the only(almost) that matters  

RSS
Dimitrelos300

After practising correct oral posture for 1 year i have came to the conclusion that a person who wants to improve himself/herself, the only thing he/she needs to focus on is keeping lips close all the time.If sb has bad habbits such as tongue thrusting unaturall face muscle movements then of cource he/she should practise to stopp these habits.After that the only thing that is neccesary for optimal face development is lip seal and of cource nose breathing.During lips seal everything goes up to the right spot including tongue and teeth.If you move the tongue the lip seal might brake.So closing the lip close all the time and feeling uncomfortable is a sign that you have good posture and your face or even health might improve.I know many who hardmew will disagree with mew but believe when i was thinking constantly about back tongue, throat,teeth contact,straight tongue i was very sad because i was constantly stressfull and high cortisol as doubts were created in my mind.I want to warn people i even had anxiety attacks.Also when i was hardmewing many time i was uncomfortable,i ended up brake lip seal and then continued pushing.That is wrong.Changes happen when you want to open your lips but you continue keeping them close.No matter how.Just keep them close even if you thing that is becoming sometimes more uncomfortable than previously.I see many posts asking about the most silly things(i used to to that too)but all these people who complain about no results ot worsening is because they put too much concious effort on their mouth and without noticing it they neglect lip seal.In fact their lip seal habbit never improved.When they become stressfull they will open their mouth.NOW MATTER HOW HARD YOU PUSH OR DO ANYTHING HARDMEWERS SAY IF YOU BRAKE LIP SEAL YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.Dont forget people with good maxilla never think about all that stuff.Just copy their habbits(excellent lip seal)and you will see great results i promise.This will force maseters strenght and tongue to come to the best place IF YOU DO THIS CONSTANTLY.Also if you have bite problem it will allow your lower jaw to come to the best place possible.Thats all.If you ever have doubt about mewing think and ask yourself'Will it allow me to keep my lips close more easilly?Will it reinforce lip seal or reinforce open mouth.'Even if your third part of your tongue isnt always high,it doesnt mater.I have seen great developed faces and sometimes even their back tongue doesnt touch soft pallate.It is unconcious dont think about it.Sorry for the long post.I just want to warning young people so as to not develop anxiety for these things.Lastly lip seal will even correct previous growth in adults.

Posted : 03/02/2019 10:09 am
Topic Tags
Odys
 Odys
Trusted Member

Good stuff.  It is more subtle even than a mere lip seal. It is about the quality of the lip seal if you want it to lead the muscles around the face and head to correctness. Clearly you have achieved this or else you would not have written this. Have you any techniques for achieving this that you could share?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2019 11:23 am
Sclera
Estimable Member

I don't agree. I am a product of lip seal but poor tongue posture, and it shows. It's true that I don't have the breathing issues that other people on the forum have once they adopt proper tongue posture, but I certainly have the asymmetry, face melting, and narrow palate.

I think lip seal is a crucial component, but in my case, it was not the only thing to worry about.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2019 1:02 pm
mewer113

My lips don't seal completely when at rest for some reason, but they are very close but slightly apart

in one of mews videos he said don't force your lips close if they don't seal naturally since if you use your mentalis muscle to close lips it'll cause your teeth to pull back and you'll get a prominent fold above the chin overtime 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2019 5:59 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

I've read lips slightly parted.  Lips together may help anxiety... but so do B vitamins (prefer food based).  As a mom... not enforcing stuff that is unnatural, though.  It may elongate the philtrum.  I have personally notices that head posture while eating determines the pressure applied by the tongue when swallowing.  I think that makes a pretty big difference on palatal development/intermittant pressure applied.  Taller people have longer faces.... shorter people shorter faces. Part of that, I hypothesize, is that the neck muscles keep head more up for shorter people... and swallowing with head up applies more tongue pressure... therby shortening the face.  The face can become overly short or overly long.  Diet plays a part, too, it seems... more chewing (lower calorie or crunchier) > shorter face... less chewing (high calorie or softer) > longer face.  Some say soft vs hard... However... based on personal observation.. cantelope is about as firm as fast food hamburger...  the crunchiness has more to do with the pressure to shorten or lengthen... the pressure of the food ON THE PALATE has more to do with the quntity... example a mc Donald’s Hamburger can be great for the tongue on palate when eating... but is short lived.  It has more calories than an entire cantaloupe.  I have seen shorter face with carrots/apples... but this DOESN’T translate to arch widening!  We DON’T want to risk over shortening the maxilla into the nasal airway... which means WIDTH of palate.  We need HEALTHIER food... not just a few extra crunchy ones.  Besides, healthier means more chewing and to avoid risk of over chewing... I would not do carrots/apples often... maybe steamed and things.  This is my opinion and I’m sticking to it.  Braces lengthen faces... Not because they do but because of diet changes... no carrots/apples/ice/crunchy stuff. However, natural (when possible) is the MOST aesthetic. If I just give crunchy, that will make the face beautiful if droopy... but it can also shorten too much and cause TMD/airway obstruction... especially if the palate fails to widen.  A high palatal vault can obstruct the nasal passages and cause mouth breathing... so care must be taken in ALL this.  It is good to widen a smaller maxilla... but I think even with a poor, Western diet it can be done by eating with a straight head position.  Try swallowing spit face down, face straight and face up.  You can try this now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2019 8:48 pm
RamonT liked
Dimitrelos300

In my case it happens only when the distance between upper and lower teeth increase as a result of weak masseter(which i dont have now).But as i said DONT OVERANALYZE ANYTHING.Continuous lip seal will make it that so as your face muscles become more and more relaxed overtime it will be a lot easier to do it without engaging lip muscle.Also continuous lip seal will slide your mandible in the best position to move maxxila make you have a healthier developed face.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2019 2:32 pm
Silver
Trusted Member
Posted by: mewer113

My lips don't seal completely when at rest for some reason, but they are very close but slightly apart

in one of mews videos he said don't force your lips close if they don't seal naturally since if you use your mentalis muscle to close lips it'll cause your teeth to pull back and you'll get a prominent fold above the chin overtime 

Could you post a link to that video?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 1:13 am
Progress
Member Moderator

@dimitrelos300 By lip seal, do you mean suctioning the lips against the teeth, or just keeping them together? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 4:55 am
Dimitrelos300

It doesnt matter, the only thing that matters is that they should make contact with the less posible facial muscles.Whether it is suction or not, both will provide results.In my cases sometimes suction is created to automatically kept close and  sometimes not.I dont know and it should not care anyone about these because it will only get more complicated and you will become obsesed.Do what healthy developed face do from birth.If you feel it is difficult to make them have contact continiously thats good and it means you are improving.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 7:33 am
Dimitrelos300

My friendd,i remember you about some posts about maxilla rotation.I had the same problem as you or i thought i had.If you still have it i suggest forget about the third part of the tongue or where to push.Focus exclysivelly on lip seal and correct bad myofumctional habbits.Overtime you will corect yourself,i did the same.Forget about any technique for high pallates and all these.These fake postures are not maintainable in the long term

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 7:37 am
Odys
 Odys
Trusted Member

‘With the least possible facial muscles’ is a phrase doing a lot of work. To achieve this the lip seal has to be precisely and lightly achieved and well away from the teeth, with what for those not used to it feels like work at the nose end of the upper lip. Or am I doing something very different to you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 9:00 am
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: Dimitrelos300

My friendd,i remember you about some posts about maxilla rotation.I had the same problem as you or i thought i had.If you still have it i suggest forget about the third part of the tongue or where to push.Focus exclysivelly on lip seal and correct bad myofumctional habbits.Overtime you will corect yourself,i did the same.Forget about any technique for high pallates and all these.These fake postures are not maintainable in the long term

Well I kind of see where you are coming from. I don't think lip seal the most important aspect of mewing though, although I agree that good seal in itself can already trigger facial change.

Beyond playing around with lip seal, I am moving away from engaging the posterior third and focusing more on pushing hard with the tip against "the spot". I have a working theory that people with underbite need to learn to engage their posterior tongue and people with overbite their anterior tongue (I made a thread about it a while ago. @couda has also made a thread about similar subject). Orienting the tongue posture around the tip seems to do more to balance my whole anatomy than a more posterior-focused tongue posture. With just the tip in contact and the head tucked in, I let the posterior tongue fall where it may while providing maximum support for the tip. Based on the sensations, I don't think if in my case it's even necessary to keep the posterior tongue in contact with the palate at all. In theory, all overbite needs in order to be resolved is CCW rotation. There is no greater point of leverage for such rotation than the incisive papilla.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 2:13 pm
Silver
Trusted Member
Posted by: Progress

I have a working theory that people with underbite need to learn to engage their posterior tongue and people with overbite their anterior tongue (I made a thread about it a while ago. @couda has also made a thread about similar subject). Orienting the tongue posture around the tip seems to do more to balance my whole anatomy than a more posterior-focused tongue posture. With just the tip in contact and the head tucked in, I let the posterior tongue fall where it may while providing maximum support for the tip. Based on the sensations, I don't think if in my case it's even necessary to keep the posterior tongue in contact with the palate at all. In theory, all overbite needs in order to be resolved is CCW rotation. There is no greater point of leverage for such rotation than the incisive papilla.

For overbites, don't you need to anchor that force with the posterior tongue? Is it possible to rotate the maxilla in place so that you would, for instance, lose orbital support?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 2:28 pm
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: Silver
Posted by: Progress

I have a working theory that people with underbite need to learn to engage their posterior tongue and people with overbite their anterior tongue (I made a thread about it a while ago. @couda has also made a thread about similar subject). Orienting the tongue posture around the tip seems to do more to balance my whole anatomy than a more posterior-focused tongue posture. With just the tip in contact and the head tucked in, I let the posterior tongue fall where it may while providing maximum support for the tip. Based on the sensations, I don't think if in my case it's even necessary to keep the posterior tongue in contact with the palate at all. In theory, all overbite needs in order to be resolved is CCW rotation. There is no greater point of leverage for such rotation than the incisive papilla.

For overbites, don't you need to anchor that force with the posterior tongue? Is it possible to rotate the maxilla in place so that you would, for instance, lose orbital support?

It sounds possible. I think that with proper chin tuck it'll be hard to lower the posterior tongue enough as to cause such loss of orbital support, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 2:38 pm
Dimitrelos300

I know, people who are not used to they will feel strange forces happening in their mouth and the urge to resist in those as they feel it is unnatural.It is not it is your brain teicking you to go to the old habbits.I dont know how to explain it.I can understand what you mean by the upper lip and sometimes you have the impression that the  lip seal can become better more precise.I suggest just try dont care about these thing and continue to have a lipsseal with less facial muscles relaxed as possible.It dossnt matter if sometimes you relapse and you use again your chin muscle for example to do lip seal.It doesnt matter.Eventually you will get used to it and you will improve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/02/2019 3:29 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

@dimitrelos300 How is it going? Any updates?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2019 11:23 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

I think lip seal is very underrated on this forum. John Mew states in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t36ApJIktco  

that people who keep their lips together most or all of the time (very rare), develop exceptionally good looking faces. People here are acting like its all about the tongue posture, and if you're not doing that correctly then you will make absolutely no progress. If going from poor posture and slouching with my mouth open almost all of the time, to great posture with lips sealed at all times isn't going to make me more attractive, I don't think anything will. Bone remodelling is happening all throughout life, and when substantial changes are made to posture and stress placed on bones, the skull will remodel. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2019 2:08 pm
FanaticMind

Now, lip seal is underrated because it's a given, it's a fundamental and it's really easy, once you make the decision breaking the lip seal means you mouth breathed.

Also I really don't like how you are talking about tongue posture, The science is getting built up and people have been gaining massive benefits from using it, pretty arrogant for a person who doesn't know how to mew to make a post dismissing it.

Last thing, breaking lip seal with proper tongue posture REQUIRES effort.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2019 8:32 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Hi,

tongue posture and (good) lip seal are complementary 

https://youtu.be/FOUP6xOqwDU

I always try to find a balance between the forces  I apply within my mouth

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 1:30 am
Freddie
Eminent Member

Its partially true, I had all my life my lips sealed it gave me good lips and saved me from having a long face. But I still have airway problems, recessed jaw, crooked nose, dark circle..ect due to poor body and tongue posture. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2019 11:15 am
Tag
 Tag

When I consciously focus on Lip Seal, my tongue begins moving in all directions on the roof of my mouth in an attempt to spread out my teeth and expand my maxilla. However, my tongue does not seem to be strong enough to apply the force that will achieve the desired result. If I consciously keep my lips sealed, will my tongue eventually become strong enough to the point where I won't have to consciously think about lip seal as everything will become a subconscious role?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2019 2:01 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Lip seal needs proper mandibular positioning IMO. If I position my mandible too far back my face goes hypotonic (or very hard to engage my muscles)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2019 4:19 pm