Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Lip seal and its effect on lip size  

RSS
Phil343443

If a lip seal involves using your lip muscles,  doesn't that mean that it would increase lip size ? 

Posted : 16/05/2019 12:29 pm
Roflcopters
Trusted Member

yes. but  say for example you have  a recessed maxilla, the lips lack support and the muscles that maintain a "proper" lip seal stop being used properly thus decreasing in horizontal length of the lips when they re sealed in this case. wide lips are usually a result of a wide dental arch. hope that made sense

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 1:11 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

People who don't have a lip seal have hypotonic lips-- large, squashy, poorly defined, and generally considered unattractive. Think Napoleon Dynamite. Forming a lip seal tones the lips, creating firmness and definition. This photo gives a good example of what happens when you create a lip seal.

Image result for myofunctional therapy mouth breathing before and after

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2019 5:31 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member
Posted by: elevee

People who don't have a lip seal have hypotonic lips-- large, squashy, poorly defined, and generally considered unattractive. Think Napoleon Dynamite. Forming a lip seal tones the lips, creating firmness and definition. This photo gives a good example of what happens when you create a lip seal.

Aw crap dude. Have this exact same thing. How does this fix itself?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2019 8:48 am
elevee
Trusted Member

By developing a lip seal! It's one of the four goals of myofunctional therapy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU3BEJK5Ya0   

The guy above didn't have orthodontic treatment or any other appliance, just myofunctional therapy. You can get therapy via skype if you can't access a face to face therapist, or work on it independently for a while if you think you can. AbdulRahman had a thread a few weeks ago about his first skype appointment with the woman in the video, and he went over some of the exercises she had him do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2019 9:09 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: elevee

Did his face get shorter???

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2019 11:17 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

Wait, isn't 'sealed lips' just closed lips?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/05/2019 8:33 am
elevee
Trusted Member

It means that lips are habitually fully closed, forming an air seal, whenever you're not talking or eating. John Mew had a good video explaining how to tell if you have complete lip seal. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/05/2019 10:27 am
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @elevee

I have a similar upper lip as this guy's before picture and I'm wondering if fixing it via oral myofunctional exercises would help me in reducing my gummy smile and perfecting lip seal?

I could finally stop taping my lips at night then.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2020 2:23 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@azrael You split your suture without having a lip seal? Or do you just mean it comes apart at night? Regardless, myofunctional therapy would only be beneficial.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2020 7:43 pm
Goblin_slayer

Should the bottom lip cover the tip of upper incisors completely? My teeth are very protruded from tongue thrusting and while I can still form an airtight seal my upper teeth dig into a chunk of lower lip. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 1:23 am
ayla mao
Posted by: @elevee

I had similarly shaped lips (thin upper and oversized lower) and one of the first changes I noticed when I startef mewing was thar after a few months they sort of equalized. The upper one got a bit bigger and the lower one got a bit smaller. And it makes sense that changes will happen fast here since we're talking about soft tissues.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 2:52 am
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @paperbag

@azrael You split your suture without having a lip seal? Or do you just mean it comes apart at night? Regardless, myofunctional therapy would only be beneficial.

I have a lip seal going on throughout the day but it's not natural like this guy's third pic, (more like the second pic) since my mentalis activates as well because my upper lip is short. That's why I can't maintain it while I'm asleep and had to mouth tape at night the past four months.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 8:41 am
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @ayla-mao

I had similarly shaped lips (thin upper and oversized lower) and one of the first changes I noticed when I startef mewing was thar after a few months they sort of equalized. The upper one got a bit bigger and the lower one got a bit smaller. And it makes sense that changes will happen fast here since we're talking about soft tissues.

How many months did it take exactly? Did you have a short upper lip as well?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 8:43 am
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@azrael Have you heard of the button hold/pull exercise? Someone on Reddit claimed to have results in lip seal from it. Exercise #10 in this article: http://myofunctionaltherapy.blogspot.com/2012/06/orofacial-muscle-re-education.html

There's a demonstration of it here: https://youtu.be/EVRvDF2Or54?t=108

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 12:25 pm
Azrael liked
ayla mao

@azrael

Around 4-5 months, I had trouble with proper mewing form at start so if you do it right I guess you might do it even faster.

I also notice my lips tend to really swell in size after a big meal or a chewing session just like a muscle after a workout, but then they return to normal after 15-20 min. I chew forcefully with my mouth strictly closed. Not sure if anyone else noticed this happening.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 1:00 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @paperbag

@azrael Have you heard of the button hold/pull exercise? Someone on Reddit claimed to have results in lip seal from it. Exercise #10 in this article: http://myofunctionaltherapy.blogspot.com/2012/06/orofacial-muscle-re-education.html

There's a demonstration of it here: https://youtu.be/EVRvDF2Or54?t=108

I have not, I am actually looking for similar exercises these days so thanks for linking that! Hope I'll be able to see some favorable progress by next year!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 3:41 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @ayla-mao

@azrael

Around 4-5 months, I had trouble with proper mewing form at start so if you do it right I guess you might do it even faster.

I also notice my lips tend to really swell in size after a big meal or a chewing session just like a muscle after a workout, but then they return to normal after 15-20 min. I chew forcefully with my mouth strictly closed. Not sure if anyone else noticed this happening.

Well, I guess you were lucky in that regard since I've been mewing (and mouth taping at night) for four months and my short lip hasn't changed one bit.

I'm pretty okay with the size of my lips, it's just the short length of the upper lip that bothers me. I'm gonna try the exercise PaperBag mentioned and find some more similar ones and add them to my routine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 3:45 pm
ayla mao

@azrael

Wait, just to make sure we're on the same page, are you talking about vertical or horizontl length when you're refering to the length of your upper lip?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 4:52 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

@ayla-mao I'm talking about the vertical length.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 5:18 pm
ayla mao

@azrael

Yeah ok. Just wanted to add that lip shape and somewhat size too is also partly determined by genetics. It's possible you have a good lip seal even with thinner lips like that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 12:23 am
skinny_man

@azrael  are there any proper way to taping mouth. what about this way

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/06/2020 6:39 am
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @skinny_man

@azrael  are there any proper way to taping mouth. what about this way

I'm sure that even you can see that it's not "taping the mouth", it's more like an act of taping the head.

Taping just the lips is enough, what your diagram demonstrates is not an appropriate force vector for forward growth or CCW maxillary rotation anyway, so I would definitely not recommend it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2020 4:23 pm
Basim
Eminent Member

Any idea how to fix this. I have a recessed maxilla and chin and I am used of using the mentalis muscle to close my lips. Ever since I started Mewing, I can’t really get a proper lip seal maybe. And I try to hold the lip seal as much as I can but it doesn’t seem like I am actually doing the correct lip seal like in this photo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2020 7:44 am