Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Lefort 3 osteotomy price?

aRandomMosesAppears

Hey there, 

I met with Dr Mahony. Along with other advice, I was recommended a lefort 3 osteotomy combined with a septoplasty. I want to see if I can get my palate expanded too.

What's the cost of a lefort 3 osteotomy by itself, with septoplasty, and with septoplasty and palatal expansion?

If you have any idea of the prices, please let us know here.

Mentioning your country for comparison would be great too please, since different countries have different prices. I'm in Australia. 

Cheers 

Topic starter Posted : 08/03/2019 5:37 pm
megamandude
Trusted Member

You actually got recommended to get a lefort III? Thats one of the hardest and most dangerous surgeries to perform and usually only reserved for people with massive deformities. You sure he didnt say Lefort I instead? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2019 7:57 pm
aRandomMosesAppears

Oh I made sure to confirm. I expected a le fort 1 at most. 

He said if I do it, it'll be for cosmetic reasons, since my maxilla is not only narrow, but also quite retruded and downswung. It's causing my gummy smile, big nose, flat cheeks, droopy eyes, you name it.

Yet I have only a slight underbite, so functionally, I'm fine. Strange

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/03/2019 8:38 pm
megamandude
Trusted Member

In that case, I wouldn't take this surgery unless your surgeon is very experienced and has like a 100% success rate. This surgery is very dangerous and you have a high chance of going blind even if the slightest thing goes wrong. Its a huge risk to take and instead of doing that I would look into MSE+FM to move maxilla forwards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2019 8:55 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: aRandomMosesAppears

Hey there, 

I met with Dr Mahony. Along with other advice, I was recommended a lefort 3 osteotomy combined with a septoplasty. I want to see if I can get my palate expanded too.

What's the cost of a lefort 3 osteotomy by itself, with septoplasty, and with septoplasty and palatal expansion?

Mentioning your country for comparison would be great too please, since different countries have different prices. I'm in Australia. 

Cheers 

It's really interesting that Dr. Mahony would suggest this rout but I guess you have a sever deformity. Did he mention who is the surgeon that will be performing the operation? For this specific surgery the cost of any decent surgeon is going to be in the tens of thousands of dollars. I don't suggest you shop around price as there is no cost saving with this kind of stuff.

Do you have any crowding? Did you have any teeth extracted?

Posted by: megamandude

In that case, I wouldn't take this surgery unless your surgeon is very experienced and has like a 100% success rate. This surgery is very dangerous and you have a high chance of going blind even if the slightest thing goes wrong. Its a huge risk to take and instead of doing that I would look into MSE+FM to move maxilla forwards

You are comparing a monkey to an elephant, MSE+FM can't touch surgery in extent of change and control.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2019 11:10 pm
aRandomMosesAppears

Hmm, fair enough. I'll look into MSE+FM; not sure what it is

I'll be meeting the surgeon with Dr Mahony and my father (doctor). We'll discuss this more for sure

Thanks for everything megaman! 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/03/2019 11:13 pm
megamandude
Trusted Member

I'll be meeting the surgeon with Dr Mahony and my father (doctor). We'll discuss this more for sure

No problem. If you do decide to go through with LefortIII it would be awesome if you could post before and afters

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2019 11:18 pm
aRandomMosesAppears
Posted by: Abdulrahman

Hey there, 

Cheers 

It's really interesting that Dr. Mahony would suggest this rout but I guess you have a sever deformity. Did he mention who is the surgeon that will be performing the operation? For this specific surgery the cost of any decent surgeon is going to be in the tens of thousands of dollars. I don't suggest you shop around price as there is no cost saving with this kind of stuff.

Do you have any crowding? Did you have any teeth extracted?

You are comparing a monkey to an elephant, MSE+FM can't touch surgery in extent of change and control.

I'm not sure I would call myself severely deformed. I'm ok, a bit less than average. Not an ogre or anything. But I think the lefort will definitely help. 

As for the surgeon, it's Dr Lvoff Gregory in Sydney. Not much on him on the net that I've found, so Im a bit sus even if Mahony recommended him.

Extractions, no. Crowding, slightly with lower jaw.

Mahony said my bite, tmj and airway are good because of my big mandible or something.

Tens of thousands is hella expensive, especially for a student :/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/03/2019 11:41 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

I'm not sure I would call myself severely deformed. I'm ok, a bit less than average. Not an ogre or anything. But I think the lefort will definitely help. 

As for the surgeon, it's Dr Lvoff Gregory in Sydney. Not much on him on the net that I've found, so Im a bit sus even if Mahony recommended him.

Mahony said my bite, tmj and airway are good because of my big mandible or something.

I know you have a health system in Australia where if there is medical reason the government will cover big part of the cost. I am guessing that is what will happen in your case.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2019 11:52 pm
varbrah
Estimable Member

Let me know if you have any questions as I'm a few weeks from finishing up my treatment with MSE+FM.

I'm kind of curious to see your pics and how you compare to my case since the aesthetic concerns you cited are the exact same as mine pre-MSE+FM, with definite improvement but still somewhat ongoing. I have/had major recession -- I definitely needed and would have gone for a LF3 if not for the risks/me being a puss.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2019 11:52 pm
aRandomMosesAppears

I know you have a health system in Australia where if there is medical reason the government will cover big part of the cost. I am guessing that is what will happen in your case.

If only that's how it worked ha. 

Basically, if it's for medical reasons you need surgery, you get put on a waiting list and you're paired with a random surgeon, most likely a trainee under supervision. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/03/2019 12:20 am
aRandomMosesAppears

No problem. If you do decide to go through with LefortIII it would be awesome if you could post before and afters

Will definitely post pics of before mewing, after mewing and after surgery.

It might be a while though. Mahony said I'll be needing braces for around a year, for 'decompensation' or something. I can do braces after though.

Edit: nevermind. Not doing braces before for my own sake 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/03/2019 12:35 am
aRandomMosesAppears
Posted by: Varbrah

Let me know if you have any questions as I'm a few weeks from finishing up my treatment with MSE+FM.

I'm kind of curious to see your pics and how you compare to my case since the aesthetic concerns you cited are the exact same as mine pre-MSE+FM, with definite improvement but still somewhat ongoing. I have/had major recession -- I definitely needed and would have gone for a LF3 if not for the risks/me being a puss.

Would you mind posting your before/after pics when you're done? It's been compared as a monkey to an elephant lol, but I want to know what kind of results we're talking about.

What's fm btw? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/03/2019 12:53 am
varbrah
Estimable Member

Would you mind posting your before/after pics when you're done? It's been compared as a monkey to an elephant lol, but I want to know what kind of results we're talking about.

What's fm btw? 

There's two threads floating around, if you can't find them try the search function - all relevant info there + more.

MSE = Maxillary Skeletal Expander (Won Moon's design)
FM = Face Mask (protraction headgear)

These two combined are synergistic and can have a distraction osteogenesis-like effect on the midface due to growth at all of the maxillary sutures, simulating a LeFort III, but the degree of results is of course dependent on patient compliance, FM wear-time, etc etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/03/2019 1:01 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

If only that's how it worked ha. 

Basically, if it's for medical reasons you need surgery, you get put on a waiting list and you're paired with a random surgeon, most likely a trainee under supervision. 

I see, thanks for clarifying. You wouldn't want that for a complicated surgery like LeFort 3. Heck even Lefort 1 can be easily botched with asymmetries, nerve damage, etc by an average surgeon.

Those kinds of surgeries are very expensive because they require 3d molding, high precision operation, and often make use of costume titanium plates for proper positioning of the bones. Those plates are very expensive. 

Generally the more you spend on those surgeries and the more you break them up in segments the better the results. One controversial surgeon in Australia charges upwards of a quarter million for a full face operation. At that stage its complete face redesign as he puts it.

It would be interesting to know what Dr. Mahomy is suggesting for your case. Please keep us posted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/03/2019 1:42 am
aRandomMosesAppears

What's fm btw? 

There's two threads floating around, if you can't find them try the search function - all relevant info there + more.

MSE = Maxillary Skeletal Expander (Won Moon's design)
FM = Face Mask (protraction headgear)

These two combined are synergistic and can have a distraction osteogenesis-like effect on the midface due to growth at all of the maxillary sutures, simulating a LeFort III, but the degree of results is of course dependent on patient compliance, FM wear-time, etc etc.

Oh wow, no way. 

This is what I initially wanted to do after I read this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3700158/

Can I ask how much it costs/ed you? How long have you been using them? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/03/2019 5:06 am
aRandomMosesAppears
I see, thanks for clarifying. You wouldn't want that for a complicated surgery like LeFort 3. Heck even Lefort 1 can be easily botched with asymmetries, nerve damage, etc by an average surgeon.

Those kinds of surgeries are very expensive because they require 3d molding, high precision operation, and often make use of costume titanium plates for proper positioning of the bones. Those plates are very expensive. 

Generally the more you spend on those surgeries and the more you break them up in segments the better the results.

Break the bones up in segments? If so, sounds like an unbelievably large extra risk. 

It would be interesting to know what Dr. Mahomy is suggesting for your case. Please keep us posted.

Will do mate. Meeting with him and Lvoff will be this Wednesday.

I have to admit, I'm scared to do this; I could [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] my body up. But if all goes well, it really can change a person. And Dr Lvoff apparently does these very frequently.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/03/2019 5:16 am
Fknasymetries
Eminent Member

@randommoses

any updates on this? And by lefort 3, you mean the real lefort 3 or a combination of lefort 1 and a modified lefort 3? I am extremmly curious now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2019 12:56 pm
mscottxy

@randommoses

you realise all they've done to this girl is extract 4x teeth and pulled her lower jaw backwards. She now has a smaller oral space and compromised airway. 

Don't extract. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2019 1:49 am
mscottxy

@randommoses

how did your meeting go? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2019 1:50 am
Dieter

Well? How did it go?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2021 1:28 am